Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much RAM for a dedicated MySQL box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much RAM for a dedicated MySQL box

lele0108lele0108 Member
edited February 2012 in General

I'm thinking about dedicating a VPS to MySQL only. How much RAM do you think I should get? (Forums, Wordpress, LogBlock Minecraft DBs, etc.)

Comments

• Personally I don't think RAM is your biggest concern.
    If you're going to use a VPS, then the following are just (if not more) important:

• Disk IO
    • CPU
    • Latency (same provider, or same node, etc)

And to be honest there is no straight forward answer. There are too many factors:

• Popularity of sites
    • Concurrent queries
    • Query types (certain queries will cause more 'strain')
    • Optimization of my.cnf

Then again, if you're just going on a VPS, get a base plan and upgrade when needed.
    I would say go for a 256mb or 512mb plan to start with and see how it performs

• I was thinking either a 1gb or 2gb ChicagoVPS node, since their speeds are good.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

careful with innodb on OpenVZ, it'll crank up your RAM usage so unless you NEED innodb, you can just turn it off.

Francisco

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited February 2012

Ok, thanks for the tips.
    Actually got the idea of offloaded MYSQL from BuyVM :P

• 1gb ram using MariaDB

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

@lele0108 said: Actually got the idea of offloaded MYSQL from BuyVM :P

That is a good idea, however their vps gates are closed and locked and the keys to open are rusty ;) The pony is running but who knows where !!!

• For the kind of stuff that you want to do, I wouldn't recommend offloading MySQL to another VPS unless you're going to set up high availability using master-master replication on at least 2 VPSes. If you just have one frontend web server with one database backend, you're going to have to deal with, at best, twice the downtime. If your web server is down, everything is down. If your DB server is down, everything is down. You're doubling the likelihood that you're going to have downtime affect your sites.

• i prefer a similar idea too.. running a mysql cluster / replication makes more sense than offloading.

• @lele0108 from an initially dedicated pov virtualizing your db server already has perf benefits-I say 384 for small up to gig for larger loads ...

The problem is that many sites using a bloated custom CMS or mis managed more popular one can pull thousands of queries per site ...

I have run into this very recently-Poor modules with poor scripts looping way too many queries ...

Many development Cos won't hesitate to have tens of gigs set aside just for their servers to throw at their apps and hosted sites...

• I'd give you a base, 256MB XEN with innodb disabled.

1GB with it enabled.

If you looking for a dedicated MySQL box, why don't you just rent or colo a server. It would be better on performance.

Thanked by 1FLVPS
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

Indeed, we are very far from 64 or 640 K max mem, there was a time where micro in microsoft was a sign of perfectionism.
    Today, ppl dont worry much about memory print, number of queries, dont optimize much if at all, it was the same with OSes, each iteration of windows was more hungry and needed better computers...
    Here I find the good ol days when you need to squeeze stuff, optimize, think of ways to make it work with what you have. Even tho, after I finish making it work, I get more resources, so it does something useful too...
    I really hate the approach: "doesnt work ? Throw more resources at it !" It takes more time to buy a new server than to optimize something so it works within the required parameters, I wonder why so many ppl choose the buying idea... At once I see bureaucracy and approvals for budgets as actually useful, it makes ppl look into the problem first than going for the way of hardware upgrade, simply because bureaucracy makes it harder and more tedious.
    M

• FLVPSFLVPS Member

@Derek said: If you looking for a dedicated MySQL box, why don't you just rent or colo a server. It would be better on performance.

So many awesome dedi deals- AMD Phenom II x4 955, 8gb RAM, 10TB, /29 and 1TB = $79/mo...

• @FLVPS said: So many awesome dedi deals- AMD Phenom II x4 955, 8gb RAM, 10TB, /29 and 1TB = $79/mo...

I snagged a Dual Quad Core 2.5 GHZ Processors, with 8Gb EEC RAM, 250Gb, and 10Tb for $50/month, with a free domain.

@lele0108 said: I snagged a Dual Quad Core 2.5 GHZ Processors, with 8Gb EEC RAM, 250Gb, and 10Tb for $50/month, with a free domain.

Hum, that is better than my previous 50 $ deal, where from if i may ask ?
    M

• FLVPSFLVPS Member

Hetzner has some awesome deals if you need German dedicated servers.. I saw an i7 with 12gb of RAM for like 60 Euros but 60 EUR setup. I thought they were hosting in Kansas City at one time

I know, i grabbed in the past Hetzner offers at 50, but they were much lower specs (true was some 1 y+ ago). I am looking mostly for BW, 10 TB is good.
    M

• For those who wanted to know:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1130456&highlight=Cheetahhost

Crazy deal, considering its US based, in California.

• There are lots of answers here, but the problem with questions like this is that it's impossible to answer without knowing that particulars of what is required. It would be easy to over provision and have idle capacity that does nothing positive and costs every month. Likewise, it would be equally easy to come up with something that is not up to the task.

• @yowmamasita said: 1gb ram using MariaDB

+1 for you but 1Gb ram makes it complete overkill. I'm running full web stack (lighttpd 1.4.30 + PHP 5.3.10 + MariaDB 5.5.22) on a 256Mb Xen box (however it's worth mentioning that's not a LEB - it's from business grade provider, one of best ones in north part of my country).

all in all just get MariaDB 5.5 on a Xen 256Mb box or OpenVZ 512Mb box (but with vswap!) and get some proper config

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yowmamasita said: 1gb ram using MariaDB

What does Maria buy you that MySQL doesn't, except purity of our precious license fluids?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

People are throwing out random numbers but the only real answer is - it depends what you're doing.

Unfortunately, MySQL doesn't expose much tuning info (other than ratios - see mysqltuner.pl) and its way of handling cache is rather dumb because busy tables are constantly scrubbed from cache. But I'm an Oracle snob :-)

I would look to maintain all indexes in memory (key_buffer_size), have a healthy query cache (query_cache_size), and then tune up a lot of the smaller things (table_cache, thread_cache, tmp_table_size, max_heap_table_size, open-files-limit).

It's much easier to tune up MySQL for a site that's 99% read than one that has a lot of read/write.

I also find a PHP cache (APC or xcache) to be very helpful, too.

• If you plan on doing mysql on a different node at the same facility there could be some benefit, but if the VPS is on the same node, your only benefit would in theory be it gets its own CPU space.

• Wow, old thread.......

But Cheetahhost is now out of business lol. Figures, this guy was sketchy and did this to another business too. Hopefully you didn't get that server.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@NateN34 said: Wow, old thread.......

But Cheetahhost is now out of business lol. Figures, this guy was sketchy and did this to another business too. Hopefully you didn't get that server.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8042302#post8042302

2 months is a long road?

Francisco

• @raindog308 said: It's much easier to tune up MySQL for a site that's 99% read than one that has a lot of read/write.

Agree.

I find a total waste of RAM query cache for my admin bots u_u they read and write like idiots