Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a beast for a week
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need a beast for a week

Hello, I am after a powerful dedicated machine for a one week period to do FFmpeg testing and analysis.

The CPU must be modern and powerful. 32GB of ram is fine and 120GB SSD/NVMe.

I prefer a US west or mid location.

My last testing was done with an E-2246G

This time I am wanting to do a thorough run-through and analysis converting h264 and h265 mp4 to webm with vp9 at many settings, with legal media files.

Usually, I will jump on something like a one time 50% off discount at a random provider but COVID has made things quite on that front. I will only need the machine for a week and don't see any sense in paying out largely for a full month.

Fire away your offers please

Comments

• Hetzner Epyc VPS? Cheap (plus hourly billing) and powerful.

• TejyTejy Member

It may be suitable for your needs, even it's not really "cheap", but you get a real dedicated server.
    https://www.scaleway.com/en/bare-metal-servers/

• @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner Epyc VPS? Cheap (plus hourly billing) and powerful.

why they go for the VPS server if they required a 32gb dedicated ram server.

• @mhosting_in said:

@AC_Fan said:

For the hourly billing? They only need it for a week. It's won't be completely accurate (due to the shared CPU), but should provide a general idea.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@mhosting_in said:

@AC_Fan said:

Why not? Hetzner has CCX51 with 32 dedicated cores (threads).

• Anything a AWS Spot instance cannot fix?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited August 2020

I can help with dual E5-2687W v4 machine for your testing. It will cost $15/week (that's with 50% discount included).

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

I think most Dedicated Server Providers (including me) are rather out for long-term customers. So this will be hard to find

Just checked OVH for you, I remember they did weekly too. Unfortunately that's not the case anymore sadly.

• GTHost? I know they used to have some kind of daily thing for like 5 bucks a day.

• @corbpie said:
    Hello, I am after a powerful dedicated machine for a one week period to do FFmpeg testing and analysis.

The CPU must be modern and powerful. 32GB of ram is fine and 120GB SSD/NVMe.

I prefer a US west or mid location.

My last testing was done with an E-2246G

This time I am wanting to do a thorough run-through and analysis converting h264 and h265 mp4 to webm with vp9 at many settings, with legal media files.

Usually, I will jump on something like a one time 50% off discount at a random provider but COVID has made things quite on that front. I will only need the machine for a week and don't see any sense in paying out largely for a full month.

Fire away your offers please

have you thought about looking at a VDS?

• @seriesn said:
    GTHost? I know they used to have some kind of daily thing for like 5 bucks a day.

Both GTHost and Scaleway come to mind.

• @AC_Fan said:

@mhosting_in said:

@AC_Fan said:

For the hourly billing? They only need it for a week. It's won't be completely accurate (due to the shared CPU), but should provide a general idea.

It really isn't that useful since he has no idea/control over the host load. Results are not relatable at all to a dedicated of different CPU.

• @TimboJones said:

@AC_Fan said:

@mhosting_in said:

@AC_Fan said:

It really isn't that useful since he has no idea/control over the host load. Results are not relatable at all to a dedicated of different CPU.

I assumed he would go for one of the higher-end variants, which should reduce variance, but yes, the couple of providers who provide dedis at granular billing will work better here (GTHost, Scaleway, WisHosting).