Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DB Server - need Large Nvme server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DB Server - need Large Nvme server

Hi all
I have a hetzner PX92 with 256 ram
It has 4x 3.84 TB NVMe SSD's
and 4 x 3.84 Sata SSD's

each SSD is software raid so I get half the above capacity
The database server is near running out of space so I need more storage

Can anyone suggest providers with a similar spec but with more fast storage (dedicated box)

Thanked by 1Websec

Comments

• If I were you, I'll get more of these servers or add more hardisk

• i've maxed out the hard disk setup on this server, unable to add more on a new one

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

With OVH FS-MAX server you can add up to 36 4TB SSDs. However, I think your database could really use some dev work to split it into the multiple servers configuration.

• You really should split it up. NetCup has a 46 euro Root Server that you can use to create a cluster that should be perfect for your requirements.

• rick2610rick2610 Member
    edited August 2020

As already said the best solution is to use two or more DB servers. But for now you can use a Dell server with Hetzner. You can get up to 10 disks.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2020

We may offer a dedicated server with 6 NVMe ( +6 x SSD ) - 10 NVMe drives, but it will be really expensive.

• Thanks guys
    The database does need work, but we are looking at least 6 months before that can be ready, and the server will run out of space before then
    Hetzner has a limit of 8 disks when dealing with nvme and ssd disks, that would have been a good option if i could add another 2x 4tb ssds

The other servers mentioned dont see to offer 256 ram, ideally i'd like to add more.

OVH-FS-MAX looks good, but limited to 64 gb ram

• Hetzner has DX line which support up to 10 NVMe drive

• Thanks, I do not see DX
    Just EX, AX, PX, SX

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@quade said:
    Thanks, I do not see DX
    Just EX, AX, PX, SX

https://www.hetzner.de/dedicated-rootserver/dell/dx181/konfigurator

• thanks, they call it "dell" on their website menu
    yes this will do the job great until we get the DB stuff sorted

thanks all

• By curiosity, what is your use case for such large sql db? Are you using postgresql? MySQL?

• We are using sql server, its a saas solution, growing by 1 billion rows per month
    moving to postgres with timescale db

• quadequade Member
    edited August 2020

..sorry typo
    that is 1 trillion per month

• I also use timescaledb (postgresql) but I ingest less than 100gb per month and I archive everything older than 1 year in S3. So effectively my hot db is 1.5TB max at all times

• Cool, we also use it on a sub system, i use the compression with segment by sensor id and the queries are still quite quick considering the compression
    out of interest what is the use case? IOT, financial data ?

• angeliusangelius Member
    edited August 2020

My use case is mainly logs for a SaaS product (audit logs), each user is generating few hundreds to few thousands entries per day ... And we have several tens of thousands of users.

What about your use case? It seems you need to keep all the data in a hot db

• quadequade Member
    edited September 2020

@angelius said: se case is mainly logs for a SaaS product (audit logs), each user is generating few hundreds to few thousands entries per day ... And we have several tens of thousands of users.

Cool me pm you company so can see if its useful for us
    We do gps tracking, with sensor data (fuel, axle weight, temperature monitoring etc)
    We need a way to archive data to slower disks/servers...maybe using movechunk
    I wish timescale would offer the ability to have data > 3 months old on different server