Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lionode vs LightSail vs Digital Ocean?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lionode vs LightSail vs Digital Ocean?

Which of the above provides great customer support and low cost of extra service add-ons (like backups)

Vote and justify
  1. The best is123 votes
    1. LightSail
      10.57%
    2. Digital ocean
      28.46%
    3. Linode
      60.98%

Comments

• Lightsail for the locations.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited August 2020

Linode if you want customer support they know their shit. DO used to be great and India happened for better or worse there are a whole lot of robot replies even for simple questions but if you push through you may find someone who know their shit.

With Lighsail Lol. Wake up.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2020

Interesting how they rank the same in their IPv6 deployment. Linode has about the best out there (a /56 on request), DigitalOcean has something really really stupid and barely working (/124 with broken rDNS and blocked SMTP), and LightSail has none at all. As seen before as well, IPv6 is a great indicator of a provider's general quality.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@elliotc said: Lightsail for the locations.

US East (N. Virginia)
    US East (Ohio)
    US West (Oregon)
    Canada (Central)
    Europe (Frankfurt)
    Europe (Ireland)
    Europe (London)
    Europe (Paris)
    Asia Pacific (Mumbai)
    Asia Pacific (Singapore)
    Asia Pacific (Sydney)
    Asia Pacific (Tokyo)
    Asia Pacific (Seoul)

Probably more important if you're in the Pacific rather than Europe.

@simonindia said: With Lighsail Lol. Wake up.

Does Lightsail even have customer support?

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • @raindog308 said:

@simonindia said: With Lighsail Lol. Wake up.

Does Lightsail even have customer support?

The default AWS support is the one, nothing special if we have a support plan or a few hundred thousand dollar invoice every month they they will bend over if not they care less if an average Joe asks a question.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Linode has really stood well over time. The panel compromises could’ve sunk them, but they pulled through and kept upgrading. Today they’re one of my favorites.

• sonicsonic Veteran

+1 Linode.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • Can't deny that Linode is rock solid for their service and support.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Linode all the way!

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • I’d also recommend Linode. They recently introduced DDOS Protection for free as well, not sure how good it is though.

• if you need latest version distro avoid lightsail.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • LeviLevi Member

I say Hetz, you say ner, now all - Hetzner Hetzner Hetzner!

• @LTniger said:
    I say Hetz, you say ner, now all - Hetzner Hetzner Hetzner!

Yeah, if the quality of service is on part or better than Linode, then sure Hetzner cloud.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • Linode has better network and hardware than DO. DO was better but not now. Lightsail if you want aws nw.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • +1 for linode support and server specs and lightsail lol :smiley:

for basic disk performance comparison im getting 1gb/s on linode , 500-600 mb/s on DO and 98 mb/s on lightsail.

• LightSail has no VNC and no system reinstall due to their 'enterprise-level'

• AWS network is garbage for low-end machines.

• +1 for Lightsail

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • akhfaakhfa Member
    edited August 2020

@hertz said:
    LightSail has no VNC and no system reinstall due to their 'enterprise-level'

To be fair, their web terminal is pretty good. This is what you call noVNC, isn't it?

About system reinstall, yeah they don't have it, but you can use elastic ip for free as long as it is attached to an VM. So to reinstall, you just delete current VM, create new, and then attach the elastic ip to the new instance

Imo their network is pretty good. But performance wise, yeah their disk speed is limited, not only their lightsail, but also their standard VM.
    I will choose linode

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • If you plan to go for lightsail, make sure to check this: https://www.karoly.io/amazon-lightsail-review-2018/

• Ever since linode launched Mumbai, there has been no reason to look anywhere else. (especially with bandwidth pooling)

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@vimalware said:
    Ever since linode launched Mumbai, there has been no reason to look anywhere else. (especially with bandwidth pooling)

Location and speed is good but getting 149.72 ms ping from Kolkata to their Mumbai location from there speedtest page..

• Lightsail cpu is fair.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • Why is Vultr not on the list?

• +1 Linode.

I am using Linode for several years now for hosting several websites. Never had a problem that was not resolved within hours.

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • @akhfa said:

@hertz said:
    LightSail has no VNC and no system reinstall due to their 'enterprise-level'

To be fair, their web terminal is pretty good. This is what you call noVNC, isn't it?

About system reinstall, yeah they don't have it, but you can use elastic ip for free as long as it is attached to an VM. So to reinstall, you just delete current VM, create new, and then attach the elastic ip to the new instance

Imo their network is pretty good. But performance wise, yeah their disk speed is limited, not only their lightsail, but also their standard VM.
    I will choose linode

No, that is a SSH terminal, not VNC. So if your system is broken and cannot startup, you have to export to EC2 ($$$$$) (But cannot import back).

Thanked by 1RageshAntony
  • Thanks guys

I chose linode

• socketboxsocketbox Member
    edited August 2020

Linode is hands-down the best of the lot.

Vultr cannot stop mucking about with their network at their NJ datacenter. Every month there's a service outage. It's ridiculous.

Screenshot of Maintenance Notifications

• nbnnbn Member

None of the above. Vultr and Upcloud. Linode is probably the best on this list. Stay out of NJ in vultr

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • I have used lionode & digital ocean hosting.according to me,lionode server response time very fast also I love their dashboard.I would love to recommended lionode.works really great