Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Docker - Deleting 4.5 Petabytes of Images
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• LeviLevi Member
    edited August 2020

They pay 320 000 USD per month for storage. Damn, someone should offer them cheap storage VPS.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited August 2020

Time to move to GitHub registry?

• I wonder if anyone is storing their backups within Docker images. :D

Thanked by 2MrPsycho wdmg
  • I had to look up Petabyte.

• @LTniger said:
    They pay 320 000 USD per month for storage. Damn, someone should offer them cheap storage VPS.

@cociu

• @LTniger said:

That moment when "the unlimited" cloud become profitable for someone and too expensive for other :)

they can can achieve 15 PB with 4U Storage Chassis 36 x 3.5" hot-swap drive bay, whit 28 chassis and 16TB drives (30 with some spares)

that will be 3 full racks and after the initial investment lower than their 3 months bill (maybe lower than their 2 months S3 bill for such big order ) for storage chasis chassis and warranty covered HDDs) they will pay couple of grans a month only for the colo ...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

How many people pushed data to their servers for a lesson/class/tutorial and then abandoned? I know I did.

Thanked by 3Aidan raindog308 Pwner
  • iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited August 2020

Their service is incredibly underpriced. Basically their only edge at this point is being cheaper than the other major providers for container storage AND they’re the default registry. But they’re too cheap. We pay $7/mo for basically unlimited storage. If you’re doing your infra properly there is one account doing these things, and individual people don’t have access. So they’re charging by the wrong metric, despite having probably terabytes of images we’re not using. This wouldn’t be a big deal if they were running deduped xfs/btrfs but it seems they’ve gone full cloud and just running vanilla S3 (hopefully with a massive discount) but still it makes no sense. Their edge will be 10% brand/convenience and 90% pricing. But they’ve gone AWS which forfeits the ability to build dirt cheap Backblaze-esque storage.

• @jar said:
    How many people pushed data to their servers for a lesson/class/tutorial and then abandoned? I know I did.

I actually used it for like a good year or two, but the place I was at kept insisting on building from the Dockerfile every time instead of just building and maintaining images within the repo.

Then I went to another job and haven't used Docker since. It's a shame too, because I really enjoyed working with it but haven't really had the opportunity to at this new place. Docker is a very powerful tool, but it's also not a "one size fits all" type of use either.

Thanked by 1jar