Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress v5.5 Comment Bug?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress v5.5 Comment Bug?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I just updated the LowEndBox Wordpress to the latest version (5.5) which was recently released.

Naturally there are always problems... comments have disappeared on all posts on LowEndBox.

Is this something anyone is facing with their WP installs that are running the latest version?

Hoping someone else has a tip before I revert back.

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

So comment functionality seems to be working... I can make a comment and then I see it in the wp backend. But the entire comment structure no longer exists in the post itself.

That leads me to believe that the issue is a css/theme problem.

@FAT32 @raindog308 any ideas?

• Got a few complaints from my friends as well, was told to be an issue of incompatibility between themes and how wp_localize_script function was handled in WP 5.5. My WP websites are still functioning properly though.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2020

Never update to a major wp version before major version x.1 is released. Experience has told me that.

Thanked by 3Aidan wdmg Chievo

Probably going to roll back to a backup from this morning at this point.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:
    Never update to a major wp version before major version x.1 is released. Experience has told me that.

Just be aware that practice may lead to being hacked by an exploit that was fixed in the major release.

• @jaden said:

@Ympker said:

Just be aware that practice may lead to being hacked by an exploit that was fixed in the major release.

Fair enough. Still, I don't always update immediately since some plugins like Divi tend to go south in such case initially. I do update first on a staging site though, to test if there are any errors.

• @Ympker said:

FYI, .5 > .1. He's updating well past x.1 release. Unless you meant x.y.1.

@TimboJones said:

@Ympker said:

We were updating from the last and latest public version to the new 5.5, so we weren't behind.

That said I'm working to get this all fixed now. cPanel backups didn't properly restore the mysql backup so now I am ticketing cpanel. Actually fixing the theme issue will have to wait for another day on a dev instance.

Does anyone know a solid Wordpress theme developer that could help us troubleshoot this issue?

• @jbiloh said:
    Does anyone know a solid Wordpress theme developer that could help us troubleshoot this issue?

Send me a DM with the theme zip. I ll try to debug locally. Also, mention the PHP version the server is on.

Thanked by 1dustinc

@varwww said:

@jbiloh said:

Send me a DM with the theme zip. I ll try to debug locally. Also, mention the PHP version the server is on.

Working to send it to you now. Going to try and pm it plus email it.

• danielhmdanielhm Member
    edited August 2020

@jbiloh once you get this resolved, it would also be a good investment (IMO) to have someone set you up with a staging site that is an automated (sanitized) copy of production so you can more safely test upgrades etc. there. Of course you can also set it up yourself manually as and when you need it (to reduce costs - set it up on an hourly VM then kill it once done), which may also help catch issues like this in advance (and probably save you money in terms of any lost conversions/traffic, confidence, and you can find a cheaper developer who can fix it in a non-urgent situation).

• @jbiloh said:

Iam managing several client WP sites. Hence a few tips:

Please do not 'jump' and upgrade to a new version unless the plugins are compatible enough. Also select a single plugin while updating. Never select all plugins and hit update button. Try to memorize the plugin name that you are going to update. On error, this will help to find the 'culprit'.
    If you are using cloudflare, please delete the cache at cloudflare level. Also try to delete cache if it's using any other cache plugin. If using Bunnycdn, please purge the cache by logging into your Bunnycdn backend.

@danielhm said:
    @jbiloh once you get this resolved, it would also be a good investment (IMO) to have someone set you up with a staging site that is an automated (sanitized) copy of production so you can more safely test upgrades etc. there. Of course you can also set it up yourself manually as and when you need it (to reduce costs - set it up on an hourly VM then kill it once done), which may also help catch issues like this in advance (and probably save you money in terms of any lost conversions/traffic, confidence, and you can find a cheaper developer who can fix it in a non-urgent situation).

Yes this was actually on the roadmap and will now be moved to a higher priority to have a full dev instance setup.

A big thanks to @varwww for his help today, seems he got it fully fixed and comment function has been restore to LowEndBox! Thank you sir!

Thanked by 2varwww dustinc
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@varwww for president! Awesome.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@varwww good work.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • @TimboJones said:

@Ympker said:

That's what I meant. My bad.