Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to increase inodes on OVH Dedi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to increase inodes on OVH Dedi?

So I have a dedicated server in OVH and for my usecase I need a lot of inodes. By default using OVH's OS installer I get about 100M inodes.

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and installing it on 2 x 960GB NMVe drives on Raid 0.

I need about 500M inodes, how do I do that on OVH's panel? Should I do it on IPMI instead?

Thanks!

Comments

• What's up boss,

You can't increase inode counts without completely reformatting the disk.

Not sure if you have KVM/kvm access and not sure if ovh allows custom disk partitions. If it does, create custom partition for /root

The rest create them once the system is up and running. Can't english.

https://www.tecmint.com/increase-disk-inode-number-in-linux/amp/

• @seriesn said:
    What's up boss,

You can't increase inode counts without completely reformatting the disk.

Not sure if you have KVM/kvm access and not sure if ovh allows custom disk partitions. If it does, create custom partition for /root

The rest create them once the system is up and running. Can't english.

https://www.tecmint.com/increase-disk-inode-number-in-linux/amp/

Thanks Fam for the reply!

Yeah I figured that was the case, seems I need to do this via KVM then. I do have KVM, so means I need to install my OS myself. XD

• @kennsann said: I need to install my OS myself

Next time around, partition things so that in the future you can at least avoid a full OS reinstall.

Once you have a separate partition/LVM based setup, you can always reformat the partition in question and get higher inodes. Unfortunately with ext3/4, inode count is a mkfs time decision and cannot be tuned later.

Lookup the -T option for mkfs.ext4.

• @nullnothere said:

@kennsann said: I need to install my OS myself

Next time around, partition things so that in the future you can at least avoid a full OS reinstall.

Once you have a separate partition/LVM based setup, you can always reformat the partition in question and get higher inodes. Unfortunately with ext3/4, inode count is a mkfs time decision and cannot be tuned later.

Lookup the -T option for mkfs.ext4.

Good thing its a new server. Yey.

Any suggestion, if I can just use the automated OS installer of OVH that would be awesome.

Can I just make a LVM partition for my boot so maybe just use like 10gb on the 1st disk and not use the remaining then just do the remaining from the 1st disk and 2nd disk after OS gets installed then combine everything. Dunno if that made sense. LOL.

• @kennsann said: if I can just use the automated OS installer of OVH

I think it should be possible to use a custom partitioning scheme (like / for your OS or maybe even /boot + / and then a "junk" /junk partition at the end) that you can reconfigure/re-purpose after booting via your OS (live). This should allow you to setup LVM and/or format the last partition anyway you want and mount it wherever.

• @nullnothere said:

@kennsann said: if I can just use the automated OS installer of OVH

I think it should be possible to use a custom partitioning scheme (like / for your OS or maybe even /boot + / and then a "junk" /junk partition at the end) that you can reconfigure/re-purpose after booting via your OS (live). This should allow you to setup LVM and/or format the last partition anyway you want and mount it wherever.

Yeah probably, anyway got all day to fiddle around with how to get this working. Just want ideas than doing a bit messy KVM.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Download more inodes :smile:

• @K4Y5 said:
    Download more inodes :smile:

I was trying to download more Storage, says online that was the prerequisite to downloading more inodes.

Thanks for the hint.