Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for websites and remote desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for websites and remote desktop

manjuxmanjux Member

Hi guys,

Maybe you can help me with a simple thing. I have a root VPS at Netcup, which I use mainly as a webserver and nextcloud. Right now, I have a second project which needs some extra power to do desktop work. I'm working with a statistical software using some RAM and CPU power on my notebook. I though that I could use a root VPS to do that job and connect as a remote desktop using VNC or something. So far so good, but I was thinking whether I should upgrade my account or create a new one. I think that installing a Desktop Environment on the root server may not be the best for the part that is dealing with the websites and then it would be better to create another VPS just for this. Am I thinking right, or do you have a different idea about this?

Thank you and cheers!

Comments

• Hey,

That should work fine. This way you would not be constantly using your computer to do all your work. Using the same server for your websites and statistical work might interfere!

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

If you don't want to mix up your desktop packages with everything else, you can create a chroot for it on your VPS.

Thanked by 2Abd vimalware
  • Webdock_ioWebdock_io Member, Host Rep

I would consider splitting up these tasks into seperate VPS instances - but it all really depends on how cleanly seperated you want things to be and the horsepower you have in your VPS.

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

I would consider creating a KVM(or LXC) Virtual Machine in the root server, install your RDP setup on this VM. keeps things isolated, anything you do wrong on the VM won't directly affect the root server.
    Plenty of guides available online :)

• @Abdullah7310 said:
    I would consider creating a KVM(or LXC) Virtual Machine in the root server, install your RDP setup on this VM. keeps things isolated, anything you do wrong on the VM won't directly affect the root server.
    Plenty of guides available online :)

Second this advice. DE installs tons of stuff you do not want to be on an internet-facing server. In this case LXC isolation is helpful. You can just forward VNC traffic to it.

Thanked by 2vimalware Abd
  • @manjux said:
    Hi guys,

Maybe you can help me with a simple thing. I have a root VPS at Netcup, which I use mainly as a webserver and nextcloud. Right now, I have a second project which needs some extra power to do desktop work. I'm working with a statistical software using some RAM and CPU power on my notebook. I though that I could use a root VPS to do that job and connect as a remote desktop using VNC or something. So far so good, but I was thinking whether I should upgrade my account or create a new one. I think that installing a Desktop Environment on the root server may not be the best for the part that is dealing with the websites and then it would be better to create another VPS just for this. Am I thinking right, or do you have a different idea about this?

Thank you and cheers!

lots of control panel exist to manage
    if you want to create VPS then use virtualizor or solousvm
    it allows management easily.

• @manjux said:
    Hi guys,

Thank you and cheers!

What statistical software are you using? I use R and although I work mostly on my laptop, I have my data synced to a VPS that has RStudio server edition installed so that if I don't have access to my computer (say I am borrow a friend's computer or in a public place), I can log into my RStudio Server to run stuff. If you are familiar with R and RStudio, you can easily install this on your root VPS and perform your statistical analysis without installing a full desktop environment, saving you money. RStudio's free server edition should be more than enough to meet your needs.

I also set up a reverse proxy to access the web interface (not necessary but makes remembering the URL a lot easier).

• Question : are you closer to Singapore or Germany.

Your remote desktop experience will be correspondingly terrible with each additional 10ms latency.

• @vimalware said:
    Question : are you closer to Singapore or Germany.

Your remote desktop experience will be correspondingly terrible with each additional 10ms latency.

For statistical work, he is very likely using R or Python (based on my experience, it is more likely the former and hence my recommendation). Both can be installed with a web-based IDE environment without the need to fiddle with RDP, which is quite overkill.