Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US Targeting Chinese Carriers: Expansion of the Clean Network to Safeguard America’s Assets - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

US Targeting Chinese Carriers: Expansion of the Clean Network to Safeguard America’s Assets

Comments

• @fkj said:

@woteti said:

@fkj said:

@TimboJones said: GTFO. The Chinese hacked the US's most sensitive network and accessed the security clearance files. That took considerable State sponsored effort. It wasn't like they left the password at default or skipped Patch Tuesday one too many times.

Now you see the importance of soft power of Hollywood, that when the state-sponsored CIA hack other countries, or try to do regime changes, they are the good guy; and when China and Russia try to do the same, they are the bad guys.

They are the bad guys because I'm on the receiving end of it ;)

Moral standards aren't followed consistently, that's why it's better to at least start with selfish motivations.

I don't know what you believe in, so I'm just gonna paste the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule here, find the quote for your religion.

The golden rule would compel China and Russia to just lay there and take it when I send d/dos their way, among other things.

They won't.

Even if they do, law enforcement in my own country would get me.

Hence the trouble with moral standards.

• fkjfkj Member
    edited August 2020

@woteti said: Even if they do, law enforcement in my own country would get me.

Not, if you are a CIA operative. Just watch Homeland, local law enforcement cannot even arrest a CIA for murder, even when that guy was standing right in front of them admitting his crime.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@fkj said: Just watch Homeland, local law enforcement cannot even arrest a CIA for murder, even when that guy was standing right in front of them admitting his crime.

Um...that show is fiction.

BTW, does S.H.I.E.L.D. also has similar get-out-of-jail powers? What about agents of SPECTRE? MI-6 "00" agents? The Superfriends?

• fkjfkj Member

@raindog308 said:

@fkj said: Just watch Homeland, local law enforcement cannot even arrest a CIA for murder, even when that guy was standing right in front of them admitting his crime.

Um...that show is fiction.

BTW, does S.H.I.E.L.D. also has similar get-out-of-jail powers? What about agents of SPECTRE? MI-6 "00" agents? The Superfriends?

Law might be applied to real CIA operative, or might not, but you will never know. You never know the CIA can torture prisoners until NYT; You never know NSA can tape your phone until Snowden, and you never know if Colin Powell was holding a vial of real mass destruction weapon or a vial of washing powder at the UNSC meeting before US start invading Iraq, until he said himself it was not real.

However, do notice that lots of those shows were written by guys worked at Langley previously.

Thanked by 1CasualCanvas
  • @fkj said: Bad news for you, Matebook still has Intel and Nvidia inside it, and it runs Windows

Damn, I will wait for Huawei to copy intel/nvidia designs and make them secure from Western Governments :D

• I am chinese and I live in china, for example:

I put my phone on the table and talked about fishing with others. Then, I open the phone Jingdong Mall App, they will know that I want to buy fishing items.

If I speak eat fish with someone, they will recommend me the seasoning for cooking.

No need to touch the phone in this process, monitoring is everywhere.

• fkjfkj Member
    edited August 2020

@appcomq said:
    I am chinese and I live in china, for example:

I put my phone on the table and talked about fishing with others. Then, I open the phone Jingdong Mall App, they will know that I want to buy fishing items.

If I speak eat fish with someone, they will recommend me the seasoning for cooking.

No need to touch the phone in this process, monitoring is everywhere.

And instead of waiting for US to ban it for you, why not just uninstall Jingdong now that you already know it's listening to you?

BTW, real Chinese people use JD instead of Jingdong, so stop trolling.

• @fkj said:

@TimboJones said: GTFO. The Chinese hacked the US's most sensitive network and accessed the security clearance files. That took considerable State sponsored effort. It wasn't like they left the password at default or skipped Patch Tuesday one too many times.

Now you see the importance of soft power of Hollywood, that when the state-sponsored CIA hack other countries, or try to do regime changes, they are the good guy; and when China and Russia try to do the same, they are the bad guys.

Are you some kind of moron? Do you even watch "Hollywood"? Movie after fucking movie has some CIA/FBI baddies (currently watching "Condor"). Saying what you say makes you look like the biggest fucking idiot in the world. Fucking clueless.

• @fkj said:

@woteti said:

@fkj said:

They are the bad guys because I'm on the receiving end of it ;)

Moral standards aren't followed consistently, that's why it's better to at least start with selfish motivations.

I don't know what you believe in, so I'm just gonna paste the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule here, find the quote for your religion.

Oh, you're young and naive. I was a Golden Rule guy in my 20's, and then realized I don't want stuff done to me that fuck head religious people are ok with.

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2020

"Clean Carrier" means like none of the US carriers like Centurylink, he.net and so on, wont be allowed to be peering with CU,CT and CM? and how much this new donald's thing may affect QuadraNet 's LA cn direct routes?
    **edited-removed "scammers" username :)

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited August 2020

@estnoc said: "Clean Carrier" means like none of the US carriers like Centurylink, he.net and so on, wont be allowed to be peering with CU,CT and CM? and how much this new donald's thing may affect QuadraNet_Adam 's LA cn direct routes?

Please don't summon another scammer here, we have enough. :(
    He also doesn't work for QuadraNet anymore, he got fired for running a side business called AlphaRacks.

Thanked by 1estnoc
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@estnoc said:
    "Clean Carrier" means like none of the US carriers like Centurylink, he.net and so on, wont be allowed to be peering with CU,CT and CM? and how much this new donald's thing may affect QuadraNet 's LA cn direct routes?

well it mentioned Transit right? So peering isn't "transit". Unless they really mean "You can have no sessions, period, with them".

I expect to see CT sanctioned before the end of the year and CN2 basically illegal.

Francisco

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@estnoc said:

well it mentioned Transit right? So peering isn't "transit". Unless they really mean "You can have no sessions, period, with them".

I expect to see CT sanctioned before the end of the year and CN2 basically illegal.

Francisco

the way i understand from this, they actually mean by carrier all activities (transit,peering,ix and so on) that are enabling CN providers access to/from US. if thats the case, it seems like any internet access service provider who currently have direct peering with those CT CU and CM, will be illegal quite soon. whether it is centurylink, he.net or even quadranet for example. or what you suggest or how you understand from that article? if this is really going to happen, its devastating blow to those ones who offer services in asia with cn direct. because, in the end of that article, there is written that US expects the same outcome (following the US new law) from all partners and allies. our european puppets will adopt this law probably one day even before US does :) and ofc it is believed that many asian countries will adopt or join with this law aswell.

edited August 2020

@estnoc said:

@Francisco said:

@estnoc said:

Francisco

the way i understand from this, they actually mean by carrier all activities (transit,peering,ix and so on) that are enabling CN providers access to/from US. if thats the case, it seems like any internet access service provider who currently have direct peering with those CT CU and CM, will be illegal quite soon. whether it is centurylink, he.net or even quadranet for example. or what you suggest or how you understand from that article? if this is really going to happen, its devastating blow to those ones who offer services in asia with cn direct. because, in the end of that article, there is written that US expects the same outcome (following the US new law) from all partners and allies. our european puppets will adopt this law probably one day even before US does :) and ofc it is believed that many asian countries will adopt or join with this law aswell.

If it or a sanction goes through you'll see many DC's in California fold.

There's no real reason to host in California otherwise.

Francisco

• @fkj said:

@raindog308 said: "Only place"...LOL...there are nearly 4,000 people murdered by firearms in India per year, as an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Indeed, but still way higher than China, no guns there. Also, we are talking about personal freedom so you cannot use India as an example, there are too many people there. And in terms of homicides per capita, your Wiki link does show US is the highest, if you exclude counties in war and gangs.

You’re right, no guns in China. Because the Chinese government banned them and forbids its own people with the right to protect themselves. Now let’s count how many reported and unreported deaths of civilians by the Chinese government (not even counting COVID because we know they falsified that information). I’d bet that it would easily eclipse the number of deaths in the US due to guns.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2020

We had a Cold War 1, now we will have a Cold War 2; just like we had World War 1 and World War 2. History repeats itself, because monkeys never learn.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I'm sure that all the american companies who outsourced their production or major parts thereof to China or otherwise depend on China (e.g. imports) will very much enjoy "the clean network" BS^H^H policy.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@default said:

Nice full-yapp Bible. Looks like maybe a goatskin Schuyler Canterbury, judging by the reddish-gold tint of the pages.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2020

@jsg said:
    I'm sure that all the american companies who outsourced their production or major parts thereof to China or otherwise depend on China (e.g. imports) will very much enjoy "the clean network" BS^H^H policy.

There's been a fairly consistent playbook for US policy since 2016:

• Make grand gestures and large threats
    • Settle into compromise
    Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • fkjfkj Member
    edited August 2020

@Pwner said: Now let’s count how many reported and unreported deaths of civilians by the Chinese government (not even counting COVID because we know they falsified that information). I’d bet that it would easily eclipse the number of deaths in the US due to guns.

That's more brainwashed by BBC than you even notice. You want to count so please go ahead and count, I'll be waiting for your report here. But do not cite BBC CNN and basically all western media except Reuters, WSJ, and Bloomberg (but still exclude those reports containing "Reuters was unable to verify the claim independently").

Western media are known to hire Chinese Americans who THINK they can speak mandarin, you see news with completely wrong Chinese to English translation day to day, even Google Translate do better than them. They publish trolls, fake documents made by anti-Chinese orgs coz they cannot verify it independently (they don't have source inside gov) but just think it looks real enough without any knowledge of what an official Chinese document looks like. They don't have sources inside Beijing so when things happen they just randomly message people on Weibo discussing the incident and ask them to confirm if something is real, without verifying if that Weibo account is a real person. Yet still they publish bad news on China coz they know you will like to read it.

Use real media - HK and Singapour media that are known to have rich sources inside Beijing, SCMP, HK01, The Straits, TVB, etc. Also, be careful with Reuters, they claim they have sources, but some of those might be fake sources from TW, coz they messed up quite a few times recent years.

• fkjfkj Member

@default said: We had a Cold War 1, now we will have a Cold War 2; just like we had World War 1 and World War 2. History repeats itself, because monkeys never learn.

No this is not cold war 2, just Trump shifting the attention for his handling on everything. When Biden takes over, everything will get back to normal, it will "magically disappear, like the flu".

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2020

@Francisco said:

@estnoc said:

@Francisco said:

@estnoc said:

Francisco

If it or a sanction goes through you'll see many DC's in California fold.

There's no real reason to host in California otherwise.

Francisco

Wait, where'd Silicon Valley go?

You should know, western Canada gets better connection to LA than Toronto or Montreal. Cheaper than Seattle and Vancouver, too.

@TimboJones said: Wait, where'd Silicon Valley go?

For the average joe. Look at every advertisement on here for LA offers, all of them are "Great to China! CN2!", etc.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2020

Ballpark, how much of the cash volume of transactions in LE market is from Chinese soil?
    I'm sure if we measure just unique clients count , it might be over 2/3. That doesn't mean they are the most profitable.

Thanked by 1SplitIce

@vimalware said: it might be over 2/3. That doesn't mean they are the most profitable.

That's probably not wrong.

There was proof that showed for at least 1 large CC reseller that LAX was 2x - 3x their Buffalo location even though they had been in Buffalo for a good few years longer.

There's been a big cut back in how much business is coming out of China either way. One provider I know from many years ago had 2 - 3 massive China based resellers that had 100 - 200 dedicated servers each, their whole company is basically on their backs. They sold some colo, sure, some dedi's, but those few insanely large resellers made up the very vast majority of their margin.

Well, since the start of Corona thats all gone to shit. The resellers have either disappeared or they're expecting some extreme discounts (think 50%+ or more off what they were paying a couple months prior, or even more).

Have you noticed sudden crazy deals on dedis/etc show up from providers that never took part here? How about old dormant brands that are back at it? That's why.

Good luck to them. I used to say that people need to spread out their customer base more if possible to protect from such things. It's easy to get drunk on it though when you can fill a couple racks in a weekend via a couple clients though.

Francisco

• @fkj said:

@default said: We had a Cold War 1, now we will have a Cold War 2; just like we had World War 1 and World War 2. History repeats itself, because monkeys never learn.

No this is not cold war 2, just Trump shifting the attention for his handling on everything. When Biden takes over, everything will get back to normal, it will "magically disappear, like the flu".

Plot twist: Trump wins elections.

• fkjfkj Member
    edited August 2020

@default said:

@fkj said:

Plot twist: Trump wins elections.

To be fair, Trump is not a pugilistic China hawk, in the first two years he did nothing harsh on China, everything he did start last year (the trade war) and was clearly election purposed, to satisfy his supporter (the theme of make manufacturing back to US). Even at the beginning of the COVID, he had repeatedly praised China's handling, until he found his gov is handling COVID like shit he started the blame game with the hawks in Washington. So it's safe to say, if he wins the election, he will ditch the hawks and bring back doves.

However, there is the possibility that the hawks managed to persuade him to continue so that he may be written on history book as Reagan the 2nd. Clearly he's too naive to realize by doing so he still has the chance to become the president that lost the 2nd cold war. So it's up to who persuades him in the end, Peter Navarro or Ivanka. All in all, even Biden didn't make it, as long as Trump follows his heart, there will still be no cold war, coz by then, he had secured 8 years, there's no drive for re-election bid.

• ntlxntlx Member

@fkj said:

@TimboJones said: When you equate Chinese and US Freedoms as essentially the same, it means you have a personality disorder.

Indeed, life is the most important freedom at all. The only place in the world outside the war zone where you will likely be killed by a gun, either police or massive shooter is the US.

lol hyperbolic much?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2020

CN2 has had saturation issues for a while in LAX. I know of 2 providers who have suspended their contracts for it.

Although I'd atribute some of that to certain US carriers preferencing CN2 over their domestic transits (cough Level3). Probably they do this to work around one of the many issues created by the routing hell that is China.

Anyway not a big loss (I think). Personally I'm sick of paying the premium.

• @SplitIce said: Although I'd atribute some of that to certain US carriers referencing CN2 over their domestic transits (cough Level3). Probably they do this to work around one of the many issues created by the routing hell that is China.

They buy transit from Level(3) and L(3) will always give a route through a customer a higher prio. So if provider 'x' has transit from Telia, GTT and CN2, Level(3) will always route it to CN2 because this is their customer (and more traffic means more $$$).