Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smart DNS on VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Smart DNS on VPS

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hi Guys,

does anyone have an updated tutorial how to setup a Smart DNS VPS for geo for private use similar to getflix.com.au or smartdnsproxy.com?

There are a few git-netflix script that is overdue and does not work so wondered how a vps is configured to enable this as I find openvpn sites still detect geo.

any help appreciated.

Comments

• My understanding is those services are just overriding the IP of some domains. From the DNS perspective you can do that with /etc/hosts even. The other part of the service is the IP they point to is a proxy service located in another country, but that's not anything to do with DNS.

• Actually it looks even simpler, that they just conditionally forward to a different DNS and disable EDNS0.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

right so setup something like bind and disable EDNS0? im not that clued up networking stuff

• Depends how much you value DNS performance. It seems the simplest would be like you say, one bind server located in the target country with options { edns no; }; and send all DNS queries there. If you want better performance, you'd need a second bind server in your actual country which hands off to the first server or some other public resolver based on the domain.

it will only be for my TV set not too worried just need to access a live stream in a different country

• tetechtetech Member
    edited August 2020

OK, so start off simple with one VPS running bind no edns. Not too sure how reliable those DNS proxies are either, but should be as reliable as them.

okay ill do that, see if it works, yeah that's the whole point not super reliable

are you able to provide me with a sample bind9 config as I get errors, also setting up self resolving or do I forward to Local DNS?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

https://github.com/ab77/netflix-proxy worked when I tried it some time ago.

no it does not unblock anymore

Bump anyone know how to setup smartdns so it fools location using only dns

• @davenz said:
    no it does not unblock anymore

https://github.com/ab77/netflix-proxy - it unblocks just fine, I last tested it about 6 months ago.

Not talking about Netflix

There are still sites specifically driven my cloudfront that says your in the wrong country however services like getflix or smartdnsproxy seem to work fine

• @davenz said:
    There are still sites specifically driven my cloudfront that says your in the wrong country however services like getflix or smartdnsproxy seem to work fine

Just add the sites you want to bypass in the proxy-domains.txt file

this still does not work, the website detects that im not in the country. Surely there is a easy way of setting up a DNS server on a vps that does not pass back your location. I really don't know how getflix.com.au work. would be nice to know