Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare DNS outage (yet again)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare DNS outage (yet again)

I'm experiencing a DNS outage from CloudFlare DNS affecting all my domains hosted at Cloudflare DNS.
I'm wondering what will be the excuse this time...

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2020

It's almost like no amount of redundancy or money spent on excessive and complex solutions ever fully prevents downtime for anyone. I'm only seeing reports in Brazil, could be anything.

Thanked by 1ccarita
  • Not only from Brazil. I'm experiencing an outage from my OVH servers in Canada with their default (OVH) DNS servers.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited August 2020

No one tweeted anything yet so it could just be a unique/isolated issue.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@thedp said:

At least 1 Brazil pop got rerouted.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Francisco said:

@thedp said:

At least 1 Brazil pop got rerouted.

Francisco

Ah, didn't see that on their status page.

• ccaritaccarita Member
    edited August 2020

Here is what happened:
    "An old key was used improperly for signing the second level zones of .br. A complete report with details of the incident will be published shortly."

• I also saw no blips in service here...

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@ccarita said:
    Here is what happened:
    "An old key was used improperly for signing the second level zones of .br. A complete report with details of the incident will be published shortly."

Yeah that fits. We are talking about CloudF%&#! after all ...

• ClouDNS ftw

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited August 2020

They can fixed that, have patience. I cannot complain and I don't have the right to complain because I'm only using their service on a free tier plan.

I lot of people really want to take them down. DDoS'ing them. I really hope these as5hole script kiddies build their own proxy server and feel what it's like to experience DDoS. Sad.

Sorry for the language.

• Yesterday, the internet management committee in Brazil signed a certificate with an invalid key.
    This affected DNSSEC.
    The problem was solved, but it generated many inconveniences for us.

• @truweb said:
    Yesterday, the internet management committee in Brazil signed a certificate with an invalid key.
    This affected DNSSEC.

Sounds like someone from the Internet Management Committee is going to be in trouble. What a huge mistake!

@truweb said:
    Yesterday, the internet management committee in Brazil signed a certificate with an invalid key.
    This affected DNSSEC.

OK "them stupid Brazilians" who don't know anything about the modern world f_cked it up and not CF the white knights of internet wizardry.

Oh, wait "them stupid Brazilians" created one of the most wide used languages (Lua) and run an IX that is larger (avg. throuput) than DecIX (DE), AMSIX (NL), and LINX(UK). source

Besides, maybe, just maybe DNSSEC whose merits are questionable and which isn't exactly loved by all experts might have something to do with it.

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited August 2020

@jsg said:
    an IX that is larger (avg. throuput) than DecIX (DE), AMSIX (NL), and LINX(UK)

If you’re going to be pedantic, the IX-br is actually 31 exchanges that aren’t connected with each other. The biggest single point still ranks fourth in the world though.

Also, no one called Brazilians stupid, did they?

@debaser said:

@jsg said:

If you’re going to be pedantic, the IX-br is actually 31 exchanges that aren’t connected with each other. The biggest single point still ranks fourth in the world though.

I take "the internet management committee in Brazil signed a certificate with an invalid key." to mean roughly "CF is fine and did nothing wrong but the Brazilians acted stupidly".

@jsg said:

@debaser said:

@jsg said:

I take "the internet management committee in Brazil signed a certificate with an invalid key." to mean roughly "CF is fine and did nothing wrong but the Brazilians acted stupidly".

P.S. Most larger IXs are not one location but multiple points spread across the country or even across the globe (e.g. DecIX).