Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM Plans & Pricing - Suggestions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM Plans & Pricing - Suggestions?

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited February 2012 in General

Alright so sometime in the next week we should have servers setup for KVM at one (or more) of our locations... I'd like to know what prices & features you'd recommend, any considerations you'd like to make sure we're aware of and any suggestions you have.

We were thinking about offering LEB a 50% discount on these plans for the first month and existing customers (who have at least 1 VPS with us) an additional first month discount of 25% (aka 75% off your first month if you have a VPS with us)... What do you think of that idea?

Comments

• Sounds good. Think of a good price point that will pay off the nodes. :)

• Just don't go too cheap, don't want to seem like a deadpooler.

Personally I prefer a nice recurring discount rather than all these first month offers with 50-75% off.
    How about a quarterly package?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2012

Maybe a 15% recurring quarterly discount or something...

• Give them a discount to get them in, watch them expect that kind of stuff as you go along. That's just my experience..

• @Adam said: Personally I prefer a nice recurring discount rather than all these first month offers with 50-75% off.

I second this.

• Was thinking something like this for our base plan:

25 GB of Storage
    500 GB of Bandwidth
    1 CPU Core (@2.33 Ghz+)
    128 MB of RAM
    For $2.50 /Mo or $20.00 Annually...

Possibly with a 15% recurring discount for quarterly purchases.

50 GB of Storage
    1 TB of Bandwidth
    1 CPU Core (@2.33 Ghz+)
    256 MB of RAM
    For $4.00 /Mo or $40.00 Annually...

etc...

• I wouldn't recommend using anything under 3.0Ghz per core for KVM, just my opinion.

Thanked by 1tux
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@VMPort said: I wouldn't recommend using anything under 3.0Ghz per core for KVM, just my opinion.

Being a 2.33Ghz it sounds like it's a Core2Quad.

We did KVM on L5420's which are 3x - 4x faster than Q6600's and you could still feel the boxes drag.

Francisco

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2012

@Francisco

Yep KVM gets real laggy, especially when everybody is using VNC etc. @BlueVM I would rather use an AMD x6 than a 2.33 C2Q. It should be E31230+ all the way anyway :P

Core2Quads are OLD.

• @Francisco said: Being a 2.33Ghz it sounds like it's a Core2Quad.

or E5345 :D

@Mon5t3r said: or E5345 :D

Even worse.

I can speak from experience, using 53xx's in our storage array was a terrible idea. They dragged so much ass keeping up. If you're running openvz then they run good and can keep up, but for anything VT/PV based, you'll feel it.

The problem with anything 54xx or earlier is they don't have the additional VT functions that really make KVM sing. The desktop sandy bridge CPU's don't have the instruction sets either.

Francisco

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2012

Typically we have Xeons with HT on all our systems if not higher it's not that we're running Core2Quads (actually we don't have any core2quad systems), we just prefer to market lower so that if we do stick a client on some slightly older hardware while we wait for an upgrade or whatever we're still meeting our minimums...

Just pulling 3 servers at random we have:
    1. 3.2GHz x 4 cores / 8 with HT (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230)
    2. 2.5GHz x 8 real cores (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5420 X 2)
    3. 2.5GHz x 8 real cores (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5420 X 2)

The KVM machines we're looking at purchasing would have dual i7's with HT, 1 GBps connections and Raid 10...

--
    Anyway thanks for the advice thus far...

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2012

@Francisco I am building a L5420 for our next build. HP DL320 G5, L5420(Single), 12GB RAM, 2 x WD RE4 Drives(Dam expensive).

First server we are colocating and they are noisy with 5 / 6 Fans.

There's no such thing as dual i7's and there's no nahalem's with a 2.33Ghz clock.

Francisco

• To the best of my knowledge L5420s are 2.5GHz?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2012

@Francisco - I stand corrected. I miss read my email, I should have done research, but I assumed that like with most processors you could have 2 on a board so mistake + uninformed = my fail for today.

• Yeah, I have never seen a dual proccessor with Desktop i7's.

@VMPort L5420 are 2.5Ggz and run like a dream, OP You just rent servers, Right?

@Jacob said: @VMPort L5420 are 2.5Ggz and run like a dream, OP You just rent servers, Right?

Not for KVM.

For OpenVZ they're fine but for KVM they're 'ok'. If you rip a unixbench you'll do fine on raw CPU performance but threading performance will be deep in the toilet.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: I can speak from experience, using 53xx's in our storage array was a terrible idea. They dragged so much ass keeping up. If you're running openvz then they run good and can keep up, but for anything VT/PV based, you'll feel it.

i couldn't agree more. i have one node running with that (dual) processor, and the performances is below my x3440 node from all benchmark test.