Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best trusted storage for backup? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

best trusted storage for backup?

13»

Comments

• @TimboJones said:
    @Devil

If you took out the 10 "very"'s from your signature, it probably wouldn't take up 4 lines on mobile.

Or I won't. Or you can just ignore it. Or you could just not have written that comment and wasted some bytes. Or I couldn't have written this response and wasted more bytes. Life isn't perfect, is it?

• backupblaze their cloud store is trusted and reliable.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2020

Some probably relevant thought:

Raid 5 (and 6) are not really an option beyond 2TB drives. Raid 1 is way too expensive for professional operations and volume sizes beyond 10 TB or so. So, as a storage provider you are virtually bound to use some kind of erasure coding based storage. That however has the draw back (for a normal user and SME) that you need multiple storage nodes plus (at least) dual "controller" nodes. Now, look at the cost of say 8 servers, 6 of which must be able to hold and handle (typically) 60 (or more) 3.5" drives, and of course you need a 25 Gb/s (or better) network for them.

So we are talking about an investment of easily 150 k$ for even a "small" one with say half a PetaByte. Of course one could cut corners but that's certainly not a smart idea wrt highly reliable and durable long term storage.

Of course the Hetzners and OVHs in this world can do that easily - but for 95+% of the low end and smaller providers that's not something they'll easily do.

The result as I see it is this: You have smaller providers with probably a couple of older servers plus plenty DAS boxes and drives and ZFS who either operate with a low margin or demand relatively high prices -and- you have relatively few usually large to very large players with a real and really high availability and durability setup who can afford both to offer relatively low prices (about $3 - 5/TB/mo) and to survive occasional price dumping "wars". Plus there are of course some "unicorns" like 1Fichier that fit somewhere in between, but so does their reliability and durability.

TL;DR It's basically a low cost vs. availability/durability/reliability choice. You can have either but very rarely both. If you need quality you'll have to choose between a few large players and if you need low cost you won't really get mid to high end reliability. The good news is that the high end offers are similar enough to keep it competitive in terms of prices.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Galeej said: Heard of and planning to try AWS S3 Glacier deep archive. $1/TB

@jbuggie said: Most people will pay $.004 per Gb or $4/TB. At that rate, you'll be better off with B2.

Of course, if you ever need to restore that TB, it'll be $90/TB just for network alone.

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/#Data_transfer_pricing

Thanked by 2vimalware Galeej
  • sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited September 2020

How about a Slab by BuyVM/@Francisco?

Their cheapest Slice (VPS) is $2.50/month. Go for the $3.00 one so that you have 1 GB RAM. 1TB Slab (storage) is $5.00/month. That would make it $8.00/month for the first TB ($7.50/month with the 512mb VPS), $1.25 each additional 250 GB. This is attached block storage, so you can make of it what you want. For backup usage, the VPS would effectively be unmetered (so no in+out costs).

Sure, Glacier costs less, but this would still be a VPS that would enable any protocol/system you might want to use. This allows any possible client side encryption, if your data is very critical.

According to backup size and how often you would need to bring data in or out, this might cost less than Backblaze.

• Familiarize yourself with the term TCOb(Total cost of Ownership)

Get a storage VPS or gsuite 1x business account if it's 3TB-10TB data

• @vimalware said: gsuite 1x business account if it's 3TB-10TB data

gsuite it says is 1TB per user if less than 5, this isnt being enforced? So like if I pay $12/month do I get more than 1tb?

• @jahrinc said:

@vimalware said: gsuite 1x business account if it's 3TB-10TB data

gsuite it says is 1TB per user if less than 5, this isnt being enforced? So like if I pay $12/month do I get more than 1tb?

See earlier in thread. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3122853/#Comment_3122853

• @raindog308 said:

@Galeej said: Heard of and planning to try AWS S3 Glacier deep archive. $1/TB

@jbuggie said: Most people will pay $.004 per Gb or $4/TB. At that rate, you'll be better off with B2.

Of course, if you ever need to restore that TB, it'll be $90/TB just for network alone.

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/#Data_transfer_pricing

Yes, I realized that now.. I think the better approach as suggested by others here would be to get a VPS or gsuite. VPS - min we can get is $5/TB.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@sgheghele said: How about a Slab by BuyVM/@Francisco?

Yep, $5/TB and you can buy in 256GB & 512GB options too.

Francisco

• @vimalware said:
    Familiarize yourself with the term TCOb(Total cost of Ownership)

Get a storage VPS or gsuite 1x business account if it's 3TB-10TB data

Taking care of business?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Sia is an option. You would be looking at data with triple redundancy for about $2 a TB monthly. Obviously this shouldn't be your main solution, but it is a good, cheap, and reliable solution.

• @Francisco when are your Slabs coming to Europe? :smile:

Thanked by 1rcy026
  • @Devil said:

@vimalware said:
    Yes of course. Just install OS with the debian/netbooot installer iso(called alternate ..
    Ubuntu 20.04 may not fully support the debian installer. Although a link to it exists in my bookmarks.

Can you please share the bookmark.

Also, I am saving this comment and next time when I am ready to setup my VPS from scratch (as of now there's almost full 500GB is filled) I will try this approach. Appreciate it!

Found it
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/netboot/mini.iso

Seems this ISO format is now 'legacy' and soon deprecated.
    (ref: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/)

But for the time being, it works.