Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone have a PowerEdge T440?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone have a PowerEdge T440?

jhjh Member

I have a PowerEdge T440 (converted to "rack mode", i.e. pretty much just rotated 90 degrees). It's the 12x 2.5" disks hot swap version and the PERC 730p RAID controller.

I'm trying to figure out how I can add 4x 3.5" drives to it using the 3x 5.25" bays. There is a CD drive in half of one of them which I am planning to remove. I am going to get something like this to fit in there.

Because it's racked up and running a bunch of VMs, I can't really look inside so I was hoping someone here might either have one handy or know the model. I need to figure out:

1. I'm guessing I can't connect the 4 new drives to the PERC 730p since all of the ports will be used up for the backplane? If this is the case, I have a spare H330 which I could add to it just for the HDDs (guessing that'll be ok and the iDRAC will let me control both?)
  2. The bigger problem... how can I power the new drives? I have 2x hot swap 750w PSUs but (not being able to actually look), my research suggests there won't be any spare PSU connectors (?) but I might be able to connect to the motherboard if these slots aren't already in use (?):