Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announce your IP Space with BGP to avoid abuses?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announce your IP Space with BGP to avoid abuses?

Hello, people.

This might be stupid question or maybe a genius idea, which will resolve my problem.

Right now I am using Vultr for one of my projects and we receive from time to time DMCA abuses. All of them are bogus and gets rejected by Vultr, but sometimes they bring us headache and I feel that Vultr would not hold us for long.

So, I came with possible solution. What will happen, if I announce my own BGP with Vultr? There will be zero possibilities to find out which provider we are using and all the abuse emails will go directly to us?

I am living in 3rd country and no one will care about DMCA. Do you think this is a good idea? IS there a easy way to find hoster behind? I just don't want to cause trouble for Vultr and keep using their service.

Comments

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

What will happen, if I announce my own BGP with Vultr? There will be zero possibilities >to find out which provider we are using and all the abuse emails will go directly to us?

Umm, no not really. Your upstream will still be vultr and will still be visible.

• Yes it’s still possible they’ll go to the provider direct, is it your own IP space or leased IP space? If its leased the abuse reports may not go directly to you.

Ultimately you need to work with a provider who’s willing to be flexible on abuse reports, as long as you handle them promptly and correctly there shouldn’t be an issue, unless its constant of course.

• @Host4Geeks said:

What will happen, if I announce my own BGP with Vultr? There will be zero possibilities >to find out which provider we are using and all the abuse emails will go directly to us?

Umm, no not really. Your upstream will still be vultr and will still be visible.

I am really unfamiliar with all of this stuff. But usually people just check which IP is being used and they will get mine information, no? There is going to be my ASN name (ISP) and contact information.

@WSCallum said:
    Yes it’s still possible they’ll go to the provider direct, is it your own IP space or leased IP space? If its leased the abuse reports may not go directly to you.

Ultimately you need to work with a provider who’s willing to be flexible on abuse reports, as long as you handle them promptly and correctly there shouldn’t be an issue, unless its constant of course.

Is it possible to own IPv4 in 2020? Last time I checked it it was only possible to lease.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

We have a customer who did in the past receive regular bogus complaints. I created a filter which tagged them for a specific label and reviewed them fortnightly by subject / summary for deletion.

No responsible provider would kick you.

Have Vultr indicated they will?

• @SplitIce said:
    We have a customer who did in the past receive regular bogus complaints. I created a filter which tagged them for a specific label and reviewed them fortnightly by subject / summary for deletion.

No responsible provider would kick you.

Have Vultr indicated they will?

I think it's question about time. We are not "that big" for them to consider all the headache. One day they will just suspend our service. That's just my feeling, or maybe we will miss email and forget to respond in time.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2020

@TheGreatOakley have you thought about asking them? I can't see how any harm would come of it.

As a bonus you will get it in writing if they do suspend you.