Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you code in PHP? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you code in PHP?

2»

Comments

• Laravel + PHPStorm + Docker

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2020

@CConner I agree.

My old job (where i did a huge amount consulting) was trying to rescue failed projects and provide mediation in those situations. So I've seen so many projects (many failing for various reasons). It's actually where my hatred of Ruby stems from (vast majority of the real dumpster fires were Ruby based).

I haven't really had any major complaints with NodeJS as an environment to be honest. And damn the NPM ecosystem is amazingly vast. It never ceases to amaze me the gems you can find on there (or at-least great starting points for prototypes). I wouldn't place stock in any alternative that is not directly integrated and backwards compatible with npm.

One thing I do really like in PHP is traits. Probably an anti-pattern by modern standards, but I've done many neat things with it. Great for web MVC patterns. But yes definitely suitable for specific jobs, never threading.

• Many senior PHP devs in my circle vouch for PHPStorm...
    PyCharm is popular amongst Python Devs...
    both developed by JetBrains

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2020

@SplitIce said: And damn the NPM ecosystem is amazingly vast. It never ceases to amaze me the gems you can find on there (or at-least great starting points for prototypes). I wouldn't place stock in any alternative that is not directly integrated and backwards compatible with npm.

Yep. Have yet to see any platform that has such an enormous community that actively contributes code. It's hard to think of anything that hasn't got an NPM package for it.

Deno has a few projects running that allow you to run code in an environment compatible with node, allowing you to tap into the NPM ecosystem.

• LeviLevi Member

@mehargags said: Many senior PHP devs in my circle vouch for PHPStorm

How they feel about single threaded FTP download/upload? :)

• @LTniger said:

@mehargags said: Many senior PHP devs in my circle vouch for PHPStorm

How they feel about single threaded FTP download/upload? :)

I almost never used FTP.
    I dev on local with docker, for the deploy i use gitlab ci. Gitlab CI build a docker image or copy files with gitftp, it's depend from the project.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Laravel + PHPStorm

• jlayjlay Member

I haven't written any PHP in like 14 years, but vim + git is how I'd go. Probably to be consumed by a container, I'm not dirtying up my hosts with php-fpm

• I use vscode,
    For framework,
    I usually use codeigniter for small projects,
    and sometimes, vanilla.
    For mid to large, laravel.

• alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep

Can highly recommend Laravel as the foundation for small to mid-sized projects and PhpStorm by JetBrains as IDE.

• PHP is great, version 7 is pretty good, 8 will be much better.
    Its definitely not the language it used to be 5 years ago.

I personally use the Laravel framework for most projects and sublime text as the editor.

• @LTniger said:
    Guys, keep thread clean from "x is better than PHP".

Your question is very unprofessional,java, golang bro is about to occupy the PHP market

• Pure PHP and Sublime Text.

I used to load PHP scripts all the time for every visitor. That causes so much load on the server. So now I have PHP scripts taking info of the database just one time and put it in a JSON file. The server load improved a lot.

So yes, I love PHP. It was the first coding language I learnt. And it is still the programming language I use.

• Jake4Jake4 Member

Plain PHP with PHPStorm (connected to Remote Server) as the editor

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

For anything PHP I gravitate towards Laravel. It's truly the best dev experience when it comes to PHP. I always feel like I'm not taking full advantage of it because I'm more comfortable designing a standalone React/Vue app that calls my Laravel app as an API vs using Vue/React within Laravel

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@DennisdeWit said:
    Pure PHP and Sublime Text.

I used to load PHP scripts all the time for every visitor. That causes so much load on the server. So now I have PHP scripts taking info of the database just one time and put it in a JSON file. The server load improved a lot.

So yes, I love PHP. It was the first coding language I learnt. And it is still the programming language I use.

Probably a good idea if you use Redis for something like this.

• notepad++

• KatamazeKatamaze Member
    edited July 2020

Eclipse and this:

... and whatever it takes to get the job done but I refuse to use Laravel.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited July 2020

While not particularly for PHP, I have a remote development set-up with VSCode on a 2 GB VM on the cloud. I don't use my personal computer for development.

One might also try using AWS' Cloud9 IDE, with a low end machine again on the cloud. IDE is totally free, regardless you are using AWS compute or not.

So to speak, I hate the traditional php-fpm + nginx setup. I instead prefer Phusion Passenger + Caddy. Easy to set up, configure, + cloud native.

I host my code at GitHub. I use their Actions product for CI/CD.

I do periodically sync my workspace with rclone to Scaleway Object Storage for resiliency. Free 75 GB storage, and egress (monthly).

Thanked by 3Levi lokuzard limited
  • CodeIgniter and laravel.

• refikrefik Member

@shyaminayesh said:
    simple framework like thing developed by my own with vscode. Here is the link to the project if anyone interested http://github.com/avanciro/skel ( PR's welcome, because my code is bad and I know it :lol: )

Classic MVC, are you planing to implement API?

• Sublime editor, no plugins for PHP

Never got into the whole framework thing as it seemed like security for dummies, though there's an obvious benefit in cases where the codebase is shared.

Mainly code in C nowadays like real men. Let the kids play with nodejs. ;)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • _MS__MS_ Member
    edited July 2020

Notepad++ :)

• Notepad++, WinSCP, without any framework.

• level6level6 Member
    edited July 2020

@LTniger said:
    Guys, keep thread clean from "x is better than PHP".

Yes, please. Some of us thought it was a reasonable and good question/topic.

• @refik said: Classic MVC, are you planing to implement API?

yep, have plans to improve API support, but I have to first improve configuration file loading mechanisam, currently they are called multiple times.

I'm looking for helping hands if you are interested in :smile:

• refikrefik Member

I'm looking for helping hands if you are interested in :smile:

Thanks, I need to find some time to explore bit more.

• CudaText

• Emeditor. :D