Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WebDAV client back-up to NextCloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WebDAV client back-up to NextCloud

ServerServer Member
edited July 2020 in General

Hello,

I am facing some difficulty with managing back-up using the NextCloud Official Client. As the NextCloud Client is built for bi-directional sync, I need a uni-directional sync to store my back-up and decide if I want to delete the files from my computer without removing it from the server.

I read that I can achieve this by using any WebDAV Client that supports back-up feature. Can anyone recommend me a WebDAV Client for Windows 10 that does this task efficiently? It would be great if it's light weight and free.

Thank You!

Comments

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2020

You don't mention the client OS.
    I do daily rsyncs through a manually mounted WebDAV to NextCloud and set the number of days to retain on the client server. If a copy (cp -Ru) is used instead, then the files would always be retained on the client.
    Relatively easily achieved using a bash script - no GUI required.
    I'm sure a similar approach could be used for Windoze, if you must. :/

Thanked by 1Server
  • ServerServer Member

@AlwaysSkint said:
    You don't mention the client OS.
    I do daily rsyncs through a manually mounted WebDAV to NextCloud and set the number of days to retain on the client server. If a copy (cp -Ru) is used instead, then the files would always be retained on the client.
    Relatively easily achieved using a bash script - no GUI required.
    I'm sure a similar approach could be used for Windoze, if you must. :/

Client OS is Windows 10 :smile:

I explored that I can do it via WinSCP WebDAV or via FTP to the user files directory and updating NC with the changes via enabling 'filesystem_check_changes', although I am unsure if that is the proper approach.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2020

@Server said:
    .. via FTP to the user files directory and updating NC with the changes via enabling 'filesystem_check_changes', although I am unsure if that is the proper approach.

If you don't encrypt server-side then that is an option, though not something I'd do.
    Windows does have the equivalent of what I mentioned, IIRC - can't be bothered rebooting to check the current syntax of the copy command. Something like:
    copy -u /my-directory/* webdav://my-nexcloud.com/webdav/share/path
    or permanently map a drive to webdav (not recommended).

• vpsgetvpsget Member
    edited July 2020

windows WebDav client may work with unexpected disconnects and note that it utilize sysdrive space as a cache [if you will copy some biiig file that will not fit into sysdrive space you 'll got out of space error].
    However you need to be sure that service WebClient is started and you may need to modify reg param like:
    echo Y | reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters /v BasicAuthLevel /t REG_DWORD /d 2

after try to mount with command like:

net use Z: \nextcloud.domain.com@ssl\remote.php\dav\files\%usr%\ /user:%usr% %usrpass% /PERSISTENT:YES

Or give a try to official nextcloud windows app that seems to be working fine.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • Glad I'm away from 'doze. ;)