Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about VPS support departments
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions about VPS support departments

I noticed some larger providers truely have different teams to answer different kind of support tickets and they are pretty serious about that. If I write to the wrong department they will pass my tickets to the right people and it will take longer time to get an answer.

I'm curious to know what kind of ticket do sale, billing, and support department usually handles? Most time it's self explanatory but in some cases I get confused.

Say someone stole my Gmail account and I can't recover it. I'd like to change the Gmail account I registered with a certain provider to a new one, should I open a ticket with sales or support?

What do people use billing department for? The only thing I can think of is to get a refund?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Lowend hosting world

Sale:
    "Got a coupon?"
    "My coupon code ain't working, fix it." 🡰 Using one that expired years ago.
    "Sponsorship plz?"

Billing:
    "Why charge me after I cancel?" 🡰 Paypal sub
    "Can't pay on time, give me a few weeks plz?" 🡰 Cancel after he gets the free period.

Support:
    "My VPS is down!" 🡰 Comes back on 2 minutes later.
    "My gal dumped me, halp." 🡰 Real life story (Yeah.)
    "Move me to another node so that I can hog CPU."

etc

• @deank said: "My gal dumped me, halp."

That usually comes with admin hour fee.

Thanked by 2ViridWeb vimalware
  • What do people use billing department for? The only thing I can think of is to get a refund?

Billing things can get complex. Sign up for a service part way through a month, get a partial month credit for something, it doesn't get applied correctly.... taxation problems...some providers offer credits for SLA breaches but you need to request them... customer wants billing dates synchronized to one day.... and a lot of things I just don't remember any more.

• @seriesn said:

@deank said: "My gal dumped me, halp."

$200/hr or $100 for a quickie? 😂

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Also Billing typically responds the slowest as many tickets that go to that department have to be answered by employees not support contractors. This is because Support contractors may not have the authority to access Merchant accounts or issue credits etc.

• @seriesn said:

@deank said: "My gal dumped me, halp."

Different kind of admin.

Thanked by 2seriesn vimalware
  • @SplitIce said:
    Also Billing typically responds the slowest as many tickets that go to that department have to be answered by employees not support contractors. This is because Support contractors may not have the authority to access Merchant accounts or issue credits etc.

What? This is opposite from my experience in any business. Maybe they're just good at their jobs, but being able to make sales and collect money is higher priority than support. And usually requires less effort to quickly respond.

• If your email gets stolen you open a ticket with the support department. Depending on the case you might need to identify yourself etc., so it won't be done without them replying first anyways.

Sales: pre-sales or anything like that, custom deals, whatever.

Billing: almost anything regarding billing, including changing payment method, cycle, or maybe changing some data you cant change yourself such as your name.

This is a very short answer, missing 99% of the use cases, and it reflects how I would use it.

• TechXTechX Member

Perfect response, Some companies have abuse departments for abuse regarding IPs etc or VPS etc and noc departments for direct connectivity with NOC if they have IPv4 subnets etc.

@deank said:
    Lowend hosting world

Sale:
    "Got a coupon?"
    "My coupon code ain't working, fix it." 🡰 Using one that expired years ago.
    "Sponsorship plz?"

Billing:
    "Why charge me after I cancel?" 🡰 Paypal sub
    "Can't pay on time, give me a few weeks plz?" 🡰 Cancel after he gets the free period.

Support:
    "My VPS is down!" 🡰 Comes back on 2 minutes later.
    "My gal dumped me, halp." 🡰 Real life story (Yeah.)
    "Move me to another node so that I can hog CPU."

etc