Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzen EPYC NVMe raid 10 for windows server 2019?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ryzen EPYC NVMe raid 10 for windows server 2019?

comXyzcomXyz Member

Hi all,

Anyone has experience configuring raid 10 for NVMe SSD on Ryzen EPYC server to install windows server 2019?

Does Ryzen EPYC has anything similar to intel RSTe?

I would like to make a bootable raid array, so 1 or 2 disks fail, I can still access the system.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi,
    I am kinda lost. Is this a new kind of CPU? Because, last time I checked, Ryzen and Epyc are two different product line.

Most commonly available Ryzen builds only supports upto 2 disks (Asrockrack). If you don't have an hw raid card, you can always configure software raid. But that has nothing do with the cpu :)

Thanked by 1jackb
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

Oh sorry I meant AMD EPYC 😂

So I have a server that running Xeon Gold, I could config the NVMe RAID 10 on Bios using Intel RSTe. And then installed windows server on that RAID array.

I wonder if the AMD EPYC servers support something similar?

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited July 2020

@comXyz said:
    Oh sorry I meant AMD EPYC 😂

So I have a server that running Xeon Gold, I could config the NVMe RAID 10 on Bios using Intel RSTe. And then installed windows server on that RAID array.

I wonder if the AMD EPYC servers support something similar?

That would depend on the MOBO. You should ask the dc :). Afaik, AMD doesn't offer anything like that straight out of the box.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

To be honest the route I'd recommend is put Windows in a VM.

Thanked by 11gservers
  • I tried NVMe RAID (I forget if I tried 0 or 10 or both) with my home Threadripper but performance wasn't multiples and I gave up. The bios was kind of buggy, so maybe it'll be better today if I tried again.

You configure the RAID in the bios, yes.

Just pull up the motherboard manual to see what the RAID options are. Google for any other guides, I'd imagine this configuration isn't very common on LET.

• Agree with @jackb to put Windows in a VM. I'd recommned Proxmox; it's a free and stable control panel that can be used with a KVM of Windows. You'll be able to do quick and easy snapshots and backups as well. Win win!

• comXyzcomXyz Member

I read somewhere software raid for KVM is bad idea.
    I should use ZFS right?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@comXyz said:
    I read somewhere software raid for KVM is bad idea.
    I should use ZFS right?

ZFS will save you from bit rot, but mdadm isn't a bad idea. Windows software raid usually is a bad idea, imo.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

I haven't done any benchmark using any tools.
    But extracting the same archive file on bare-metal Windows (4 different NVME disks without any RAID array) is much faster than the KVM Windows using Virtio driver on Proxmox Zfs with 4xNVMe.
    It's 8 mins vs 40 mins.
    I guess I should accept the risk of downtime and just use bare metal Windows without RAID then?