Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skinny Server Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Skinny Server Linux

darbdarb Member
edited June 2020 in Help

What is the best least ram intensive linux for tiny (256 or 128 meg) VPS; debian?

Comments

• edited June 2020

The smallest VPS I use is 128 MB OVZ7 Debian 10 for wireguard, pihole and dns, and there are still a lot of free memory on it.

root@Xxx:~# free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          128Mi        35Mi       9.0Mi       1.0Mi        82Mi        90Mi
    Swap:         512Mi        37Mi       474Mi

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

Alpine Linux? There are some other ones too that are extremely lightweight in that they provide almost no tools. E.g. Alpine Linux's shell isn't even bash (If I remember correctly).

If you're used to Debian, go with it. It's still very lightweight. RAM is pretty cheap nowadays, so the amount of time saved might be more than worth it to just get a tiny bit more if you run out.

You can use Google to get more results :wink: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+the+least+ram+intensive+linux+distro?

• somiksomik Member

Just stick with the default Ubuntu that is offered on most. It'll consume about 16 MB of memory (if you get the ubuntu-min version).

• HostingbotHostingbot Member, Host Rep

I agree with Debian, It's my go too for lightweight OS

• I’ve used alpine Linux ; it’s super light weight.

• tetechtetech Member

@doughnet said:
    I’ve used alpine Linux ; it’s super light weight.

Yes. Alpine.

• I echo everyone else. Nothing is leaner than alpine.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Hostingbot said: I agree with Debian, It's my go too for lightweight OS

I remember @KuJoe posting about skinnying Deb 5 or 6 down so it idled using only 5MB or 6MB.

• @raindog308 said:

@Hostingbot said: I agree with Debian, It's my go too for lightweight OS

I remember @KuJoe posting about skinnying Deb 5 or 6 down so it idled using only 5MB or 6MB.

This should be a sport.

Instead of benchmarking everything to get the highest score people should just try to get an os to consume the least amount of resources lol

Thanked by 1tetech
  • ^ This. Windoze lusers, read 'em and weep. ;)

• jurevejureve Member

@Hostingbot said:
    I agree with Debian, It's my go too for lightweight OS

+1 Debian to tiny vps ;)

• No experience with Alpine, but Debian is stable and can be tweaked to consume very little RAM.