Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this normal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this normal?

cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
edited February 2012 in General

Fresh install of Ubuntu 11 running apt-get update on 128mb LEB

Display : PID | User | Memory | CPU | Search | Run..

CPU load averages: 4.04 (1 mins) , 2.40 (5 mins) , 1.05 (15 mins)
CPU type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz , 4 cores

Everything crawls. Can someone explain this? Is my provider limiting my CPU resources or what?

Comments

• I think this is normal :D Because with the information you provided, I got nothing else to say :(

• yes and no. :D just check your swap. perhaps that load avg. came from your disk (swapping).

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited February 2012

giang: Lol, are you being sarcastic or what?

mon5st3r: well at default the swap was 128mb, i tweaked it to 768mb because everything was so slow. Now i'm confused, could bigger swap contribute to higher CPU load?

• gianggiang Veteran
    edited February 2012

@cosmicgate said: giang: Lol, are you being sarcastic or what?

No, I was saying it honestly :( Because even SSH access may cause high CPU load :D Did you post a picture in your post? :| Because I could see only:

!(http://i.imgur.com/HKW7X.png)

• ss of 'top' and 'iotop' would help

• i think i know what's going on. It is webmin's miniserv.pl using up alot of memory.

• I've got one server running webmin, it's using 15MB of RAM on my box, which isn't really that much RAM for a full control panel.

• Is this OpenVZ? Xen? KVM?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Webmin I have found to be strange, on some distro's it has a tiny foot print on others every 15 minutes you end up with miniserv trying to do something that hammers your VPS every 5 minutes, I think its when you have quota management enabled or something, never bothered getting to the bottom of it.

But then again at the same time (No offence) the issue with people looking for LEB's allot of the time is that they run OS's that were never intended to run on such a low amount of ram and then expect everything to be fine with zero optimization.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yep, It took me some time till I managed to install mysql in 64 MB ram, it needs a lot of tweaking, but eventually you can even run kloxo there.
    M

• It's running on xen if anyone is wondering