Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HEY.com, a new look at email -- does anyone have an invite code?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HEY.com, a new look at email -- does anyone have an invite code?

this seems interesting, though i coudn t find an invite... if anyone has one for me, would be nice

this so 2004, like looking for gmail invites xD

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird

Comments

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

Too many email addresses I do not use.. No need another.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

From the people who brought you Ruby on Rails... :-O

Any email service that needs a "manifesto" is not for me.

$99/year is the price...with no custom domain.

There have been a ton of services that say "here's the way you should work" and if that works for you, great, but if you don't want to work their way, they feel awkward. Hey seems like that to me.

Well, if it is successful, Microsoft or Google will buy them and absorb their features so as an R&D site, party on!

Thanked by 3vyas11 mtsbatalha Ouji
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

$99/ year. Totally passable

• @raindog308 said: Well, if it is successful, Microsoft or Google will buy them and absorb their features so as an R&D site, party on!

Nah, it's Basecamp. Worst case they kill it.

• imokimok Member

"Imbox"

Thanked by 1desperand
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Thanked by 2dedicados BBTN

BTW, what exactly is he wearing around his neck and why...

Thanked by 1imok
  • I applied about 1 month ago but have not receive any reply yet.

• The imbecile box? Seems kinda weird to me

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2020

In moments like these I love MXroute from @jar and free domains of Freenom. Anonymity evolved from disposable email to disposable domains where you can have any email address with any domain, and guys like these want to charge us $99/year for a hey.com email address. These guys (from Hey) should be acquired by Apple, simply for their way of thinking.

• nah, already have too many emails

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

This is interesting, but man that $99/year 😅

• lpnlpn Member

It appears that I was doing email wrong for so many years /s.
    And nice vendor lock-in.

• @NanoG6 said:

For that price you can buy own domain and a good vps with two IPs for a year

• PHDanPHDan Member

@raindog308 said: BTW, what exactly is he wearing around his neck and why...

His virtue.

@PHDan said:

@raindog308 said: BTW, what exactly is he wearing around his neck and why...

His virtue.

I thought perhaps it was a chastity stole to protect his throat.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • imokimok Member

@soviet said:

@NanoG6 said:

Why are you buying too expensive servers?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@soviet said:

@NanoG6 said:

I know, but if you read how it works https://hey.com/how-it-works/ then you’ll know why it’s interesting. If only it’s around $50/year I’ll definitely switch to them, and maybe having short 3-4 character username @hey.com would be nice also.

• $99 a year...

Might as well pay for Proton.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@PHDan said:
    Hahahah! https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/16/21293419/hey-apple-rejection-ios-app-store-dhh-gangsters-antitrust

@default said:
    These guys (from Hey) should be acquired by Apple, simply for their way of thinking.

So... Apple is actually interested in Hey, by taking more money from it.

• I was ready to hate the shit out of Hey, but now that they're in a fight with Apple, I'm hoping they'll fuck Apple PR up, especially around all the antitrust issues they have.

This guy needs to start recording and leaking his calls if they're using language like he's implying. Might get rotation on Spotify...

• 99$/yr is insane, but I assumed there would be a trial period with an invite and I’d be able to squat my username as an inactive account.

You gotta protect that username across all platforms!!!11!1!

• pbxpbx Member

Honestly it's too expensive, but some features are pretty nice.

For 10$/y it could be interesting.

@TimboJones said:

I was ready to hate the shit out of Hey, but now that they're in a fight with Apple, I'm hoping they'll fuck Apple PR up, especially around all the antitrust issues they have.

Wow, that was interersting. I always figured that if you want to do your in-app through the app store, then Apple gets a cut (which makes sense)....but they’re saying they want a cut of any subscription money if you have an app. Insane.

• They could at least enable dnssec on their domain...

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

Blocked by Web Anti-Virus
    Reason: threat of data loss
    Detection method: databases

Weird, maybe a false positive?

• boerndboernd Member

threat of data loss sounds reasonable

• Apart from the pricing, some features look really cool and someone like a popular figure (like a CEO) would benefit from those features.

That pretty much explains the pricing too. They have mentioned that custom domain support is underway. So it will be useful for people who deal with 100+/day non-spammy but marketing type emails asking for 10 minutes call.

• Actually, I didn't like it at all.

• short names are $999 ??? Are they serious that somebody will pay $999 monthly for [email protected] ?
    • CEO & founders crying over all internet that Apple didn't approve their application for breaking TOS while at the same time trying to push "hey" - it's our application? Really cheap way to get noticed for unnoticed application/service.
    • Two years in development and no internalization in 2020? Really? Are they serious?

So what they have to offer at the end? Only short domain name? That's all?

Even companies like Google kill products all the time, leaving their customers hanging. We don’t do that.

They didn't do that just yet. Better to stay away from such services, false promises.