Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop or Desktop? Why? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Laptop or Desktop? Why?

13»

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2020

@jackb said:

@MikeA said:
    So this thread made me interested and I've been looking around for laptops that "could" replace my desktop and that aren't very big, so it's easy to take around.
    Can't find any slim/light Ryzen laptops with dedicated GPU and that are 13-14" that can thunderbolt to an HDMI monitor.

A little larger but I like the look of the ASUS TUF A15 RTX.

RE: keyboard what I'd recommend is having a set up on your desk with a full size keyboard and a good quality mouse - the limitations of a laptop keyboard will only come into play when out and about, not a big deal.

I went full /r/battlestations recently on account of spending more time inside. Only thing I've not replaced so far is the laptop (current is a few years old). Totally worth it though.

I think I've kinda settled on a Razer Blade 15, it's expensive, but if I decide to get one I'd be selling my current hardware which would probably cover it. The ASUS Tuf looks alright, but I think the 15" Blade is a bit thinner and more durable since it has the metal chassis that's basically one piece.

• OujiOuji Member

@hohl said: f you don‘t care too much about the extra cost and slightly less performance: a nice dock with external screen(s) and external keyboard

That's my current setup. Although I still have a desktop for playing, but for everything I use the laptop. Less power hungry (as my desktop has a Ryzen 7 1st gen and RX 480) and more mobile.

• UmutUmut Member

I'm using both. Laptop for mobility, desktop for more comfort and power.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited June 2020

Desktop PC > Laptop

Reason: possibilities to build your own PC from parts (= cheaper), add/replace parts easily if theyre outdated or broken, better heat management, and most laptops aren't meant for power usage (> 12hrs a day)

• I use a laptop also desktops. The laptop is not ruff but the desktop is very strong for work.

• Hello,

If mobility is not required, go with a desktop.

I've been using laptops for a while, but get ride of them, to adopt definitively a desktop.

Laptops are convenient, but:

• they heat, at first may be not, but with the time they'll heat,
    • and with heat, comes the noise of the fan system,
    • and with time, the noise get worse,
    • and beside good noisy cooling, welding will deteriorate over the time,
    • if something break, it's nearly impossible to just replace the faulty component,

Desktop will be cheaper, less noisy, easier to repair, and improve,... more comfortable.

Your cat can also sleep on top of the tower, ... a cat can also sleep on a laptop, but trust me, this is not easy to work like that ...

Thanked by 1that_guy