Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a decent free Wordpress backup plugin? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a decent free Wordpress backup plugin?

2»

Comments

• @Ympker said:
    Give XCloner a try. I stumbled upon it because I use Koofr Cloud Storage and they made a blog post about using XCloner together with Koofr's Webdav. XCloner has lots of features and is entirely free. Only support is paid: https://wordpress.org/plugins/xcloner-backup-and-restore/

Xcloner looks really good. Thanks for sharing! I might move from Updraft Plus to this.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @raindog308 said:

@hardgamers said: I use updraftplus free and save my backup to gdrive for several years.. it's working and I can restore if needed, but if backup file is too large it will be better to download the backup file to the server and restore from local

I tried updraft plus and found it didn't get everything - you get the DB dump, and the plugins/themes/uploads directories, but not things like the web root, your wp-settings file, etc.

yes, it just get db dump, plugins, theme, upload and Any other directories found inside wp-content. for me it is enough , when i need to restore i just install new wordpress, install updraftplus plugins and restore all the backups and reconfigure permalink settings so htaccess get correct entry (or just edit by myself) .. i never put any file outside of wp-content folders so it never became a problem for me..

updraftplus have add-on for more files , https://updraftplus.com/shop/more-files/ or i think if you have premium account you will get access to all add-ons... but i never try, i just use the free plugins

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@poisson said:

@Ympker said:
    Give XCloner a try. I stumbled upon it because I use Koofr Cloud Storage and they made a blog post about using XCloner together with Koofr's Webdav. XCloner has lots of features and is entirely free. Only support is paid: https://wordpress.org/plugins/xcloner-backup-and-restore/

Xcloner looks really good. Thanks for sharing! I might move from Updraft Plus to this.

You're welcome :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Nuh, thanks no.

• I don't trust PHP enough
    • I don't want a von Muenchhausen "solution"
    • I want fully automated backup
    • I don't want some WP or other panel thingy
    • I don't want to waste storage space with too many full backups
    • I don't want backups too rarely done (to avoid wasting storage space)
    • I don't want a "dead" backup archive but a site mirror.
      if my VPS provider goes belly up the mirror still serves, plus I can take load off my server and/or have different servers for different regions (e.g. the Americas and Europe).

Of bloody course something like that didn't exist, so I wrote it myself in Python (porting it to Lua currently because Python has gotten really fat).

Here's how it works: my main script (on the WP server) runs every X minutes (configurable) and checks whether there are new records in the DB or new files in the WP tree. If yes, path and fstats of new or changed files are written to the main backup log and new DB records are written in SQL format to the DB backup log, both with a timestamp. When a "client" (a mirror) connects it gets all paths and records that have been changed/new since its last successful update. Mirror clients then update their own WP tree and DB, plus there is a special client that just adds all changes to disk and compresses them every Y minutes (e.g. every 6 hours) and optionally pushes the resulting incremental backup file to another external storage server. Additionally, every Z minutes (e.g. daily) a full backup of the WP tree and the DB (dumped) is done and later pulled off by the storage client (who again may copy it to another storage client, currently I have triple backup storage).

Plus the storage servers have a cleaner script that a) cleans all incremental backups for which a more current full backup is present, and b) cleans old full backups based on a reasonably smart algorithm (like e.g.always keep 1 full backup per month and always keep the last 3 full backups).

BTW, along my work path to implement that I've seen that I was right to not at all trust WP because beneath a thin nice surface WP is make shifted and cobbled together just like I'd expect from PHP "developers". Crude Example: the record ID has quite a few different names in all the WP tables, so I have to keep a list of how the ID is called in each WP table.

• One plugin I like using is All In One WP Migration. Backups up the DB and all files in your public_html folder. Definitely a time saver when moving hosts.

Thanked by 1Ympker