Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enabling BBR. It worths for websites?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enabling BBR. It worths for websites?

BroscienceBroscience Member
edited June 2020 in General

Just noticed it inscreased my speed for my VPN and Shadowsocks. Tested on Speedtest. But how about websites, Wordpress and so on? Anyone tested it? Anyone enabled it for your sites?

Question
  1. Did you enable BBR on your server?43 votes
    1. Yes and it's better than default protocol
      51.16%
    2. Yes and it's worse than default protocol
        0.00%
    3. No
        4.65%
    4. Never heard of BBR at all
      44.19%

Comments

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

Building a Better Response ?

• I used it and it does not help too much with my websites. Though it does increase visitors' download speed, it cannot reduce TTFB, which is the actual bottleneck for my websites.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

It worths for websites

To be honest, in my opinion it isn't worth fussing over TCP congestion control algorithm for most websites.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2020

Though it does increase visitors' download speed

Yes, that's the point. The benefit of BBR is that any connection almost instantly starts transferring at the full possible speed, whereas other algorithms need some time to ramp up. Aside from TTFB that still should help for any at least somewhat large files (like photos), or if you offer some kind of downloads.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • I will leave this question to the kernel and os team. I don’t have enough knowledge to understand the math behind and I don't have lots of machines to experiment.

• @Broscience said:
    Just noticed it inscreased my speed for my VPN and Shadowsocks. Tested on Speedtest. But how about websites, Wordpress and so on? Anyone tested it? Anyone enabled it for your sites?

My response is missing in your poll:

• Yes and it's no better or worse than default protocol

It has increased VPN/Streaming performance, never Wordpress / generic websites in my case.

• Thanked by 1pbx
  • @sgheghele said:

@Broscience said:

It has increased VPN/Streaming performance, never Wordpress / generic websites in my case.

That's a silly response and of course doesn't belong in a poll. "...it's no better or worse..." and then gives an example of it being better. TCP algorithms are very much better or worse than others.

• sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited June 2020

@TimboJones said:

@sgheghele said:

@Broscience said:

That's a silly response and of course doesn't belong in a poll. "...it's no better or worse..." and then gives an example of it being better. TCP algorithms are very much better or worse than others.

My response is legit and addresses OP question, which you seem to have not read fully (admittedly, OP question changes slightly from title to the poll). OP has asked specifically on websites and Wordpresss engine. My reply was on that. I have not seen improvements with websites, but I added that I have seen improvements with streaming and VPN like OP did.

• pbxpbx Member

Interesting read, thanks!

I think it can bring some benefits, but most likely won't be perceptible for most workloads. Useful for CDN edge nodes and that kind of stuff, can't hurt for webservers but not really needed.

@eva2000 an opinion on that?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@pbx said: I think it can bring some benefits, but most likely won't be perceptible for most workloads. Useful for CDN edge nodes and that kind of stuff, can't hurt for webservers but not really needed.

@eva2000 an opinion on that?

Proper HTTP/2 prioritization at web server level is important if page speed/seo as per Google's Core Web Vital metrics are important to you for optimizing your critical render path. If you use Cloudflare paid plans, then definitely enable Enhanced HTTP/2 Prioritization :) And naturally using BBR helps too.

Thanked by 1pbx