Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible Bug: Email notifications not always getting sent?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible Bug: Email notifications not always getting sent?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
edited June 2020 in General

Hi Folks,

Earlier today @TimboJones sent me a PM saying he is not receiving notifications 100% of the time when he expects he should.

Is anyone else seeing this issue happen?

Do we have any other users with Vanilla experience that may have an idea?

To be clear we are talking about the in-site (not email) notifications.

Open to thoughts/feedback/info.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Yeah, I noticed this as well.

No mention notifications and no emails.

Seems like it's on and off.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I've enabled notifications for when I'm tagged, I'll try to pay attention to success vs failures.

• Don't get any missing, but few are now going to promo tabs in Gmail.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited June 2020

Sorry, to clarify for me, its not Email notifications, just LET user notifications. I do get PM notification emails. And your mention in the OP did show up in my notifications. I don't know how frequent this issue is, I'd say I notice it maybe once a month or so.

I mean when I go and check Notifications, when someone has quoted replied, I expect to see "$username mentioned you in $topic". So I got 1 notification like that, but when I browse the forum, I come across at least 3 quoted posts that were not listed under notification.

@TimboJones said:
    Sorry, to clarify for me, its not Email notifications, just LET user notifications. I do get PM notification emails. And your mention in the OP did show up in my notifications. I don't know how frequent this issue is, I'd say I notice it maybe once a month or so.

I mean when I go and check Notifications, when someone has quoted replied, I expect to see "$username mentioned you in $topic". So I got 1 notification like that, but when I browse the forum, I come across at least 3 quoted posts that were not listed under notification.

Thanks for the clarification, I updated my original post.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Yes and sometimes I don't get a notification if I'm tagged by being quoted. Rather annoying. So I miss stuff people have tagged me in.

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited June 2020

Are you guys sure the post where you got mentioned isn't edited? Maybe they added the tag later. If they didn't, it's a bug.

Edit: this is answered below

edited June 2020

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:
    Are you guys sure the post where you got mentioned isn't edited? Maybe they added the tag later. If they didn't, it's a bug.

I think it’s a bug since I was mentioned but I don’t see the notification under the notifications list.

Edit: The mention wasn’t edited btw - first/original reply.

• thedp said: I think it’s a bug since I was mentioned but I don’t see the notification under the notifications list.

I received all notifications so far, with default settings. If anyone wants to test it, feel free to keep tagging me.

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

thedp said: I think it’s a bug since I was mentioned but I don’t see the notification under the notifications list.

I received all notifications so far, with default settings. If anyone wants to test it, feel free to keep tagging me.

No notification for this mention either.

edited June 2020

I found it. My quote doesn't contain a @, while yours does.

I use mouse + hovering to select text and quote it, not the quote button below.

Thanked by 1DP
    edited June 2020

SCAM_DONT_BUY said: I received all notifications so far, with default settings. If anyone wants to test it, feel free to keep tagging me.

Just testing.

Edit: Confirmed.

@SCAM_DONT_BUY tag/mention me.

• thedp said: tag/mention me.

Here is a non-tagging quote.

• @thedp said:

Here is a tagging one.

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

@thedp said:

Here is a tagging one.

Received notification and mail for this.

I think you're right about how someone is being mentioned, quoting via hover/text selection doesn't include the @ whereas the Quote button does so only the latter will be notified.

Thanks for helping figure this out guys.

@FAT32 what do you think about this? Is there an easy fix to modify the entire post quoting pkugin so that it properly tags the quoted user?

• Wow. Im way too lazy to find the right topic with search on this but you know what really pisses me off. The search function searching for keywords and then showing posts. Can you, for the love of god, add so I can sort them either by posts or topics.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@jbiloh said:
    Thanks for helping figure this out guys.

FAT32 what do you think about this? Is there an easy fix to modify the entire post quoting plugin so that it properly tags the quoted user?

Ya it should be able to quick fix, please check Discord

@serv_ee said:
    Wow. Im way too lazy to find the right topic with search on this but you know what really pisses me off. The search function searching for keywords and then showing posts. Can you, for the love of god, add so I can sort them either by posts or topics.

That's a design flaw in vanilla forums and sadly there's nothing much we can do - need quite a lot of careful rewrite if not full text search can lead to huge performance issues. My suggestion is to use Google Search and do site:lowendtalk.com, that's what I do most of the time

• @FAT32 Thanks. Now looking at their own website and seeing this:

One of the more common complaints on any forum platform is the search.

No idea what substances they are using but even phpbb2 could do that.

But yeah, I'll do as you suggested.

@jbiloh said: Thanks for helping figure this out guys.

Testing 123, did you receive any notifications?

@FAT32 said:

@jbiloh said: Thanks for helping figure this out guys.

Testing 123, did you receive any notifications?

This is a test using the entire comment quote plugin button.

@FAT32 said: Testing 123, did you receive any notifications?

And this is a test using the text select quote feature.

edited June 2020

@TimboJones said: I come across at least 3 quoted posts that were not listed under notification.

@Jord said: Yes and sometimes I don't get a notification if I'm tagged by being quoted

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said: I found it. My quote doesn't contain a @, while yours does.

Please try again, it should work now :) The highlight and quote feature now prepend a @ symbol

Thanked by 2Jord TimboJones
    edited June 2020

@FAT32 said:

@TimboJones said: I come across at least 3 quoted posts that were not listed under notification.

@Jord said: Yes and sometimes I don't get a notification if I'm tagged by being quoted

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said: I found it. My quote doesn't contain a @, while yours does.

Please try again, it should work now :) The highlight and quote feature now prepend a @ symbol

You sir are prem I got that notification :D

Thanked by 1FAT32

@FAT32 Yeah I can confirm that the quoting via hover/text selection now prepends the @ before the username.

Kudos to you.

Thanked by 1FAT32

Big thanks to @FAT32 for helping us get this fixed and for @TimboJones for pointing it out.

Thanked by 2FAT32 TimboJones

@Jord I was bored so I added something fun, did anyone noticed anything different? :joy:

Thanked by 2Jord WSCallum

@FAT32 oooo you added the users icons?

Yeah that is prem :D

Thanked by 1FAT32