Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When's the last time you compiled a kernel? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When's the last time you compiled a kernel?

2»

Comments

• Does using gcc to compile a library to a shared object for PHP count? It is compilation.l although not a kernel.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@cirrus_cloud said:
    Does using gcc to compile a library to a shared object for PHP count? It is compilation.l although not a kernel.

No...heck, I remember a time when virtually all software installs started with tar xzf and make...

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:
    No...heck, I remember a time when virtually all software installs started with tar xzf and make...

... if one was lucky. In some cases all one got was a 'configure.in' and a 'Makefile.in'.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said: ... if one was lucky. In some cases all one got was a 'configure.in' and a 'Makefile.in'.

Oh, to dream of autoconf!

That is one thing I enjoyed about computing 30 years ago. The line between writing code and installing/maintaining a system was very blurred. Sysadmins had to know how to write and compile C. Heck, just compiling C was an art form in itself, as you spend time ifdeffing, setting which libraries to link, etc.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2020

^ and now look what we get; bloated kernels and applications. That's progress for ya. :|
    Anyone for DSL? ;)