Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mourning openvz 6 / installing openvz 7 on remote hardware
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mourning openvz 6 / installing openvz 7 on remote hardware

whlwhl Member

I've come to the point where I know my OpenVZ 6 installs do not have a path forward (yes, I'm late to the party on this one!). Now that I'm looking for alternatives I really appreciate how nice openvz 6 was. Has anyone found a good alternative? openvz 7 seems to only install from iso, lxc doesn't give me what openvz does (lxc has shared load average, shared dmesg across vm's - not good for things that need strict isolation). proxmox seems to add a whole layer of setup which I don't need (and uses lxc now). I've not had great luck with kvm.

I realize it is partly just being used to what you know but with openvz I could create vm so quick and easy. Anyone tell me what they've replaced it with (including provider if centos 7 from iso). any openvz 7 thoughts in general?

I also miss the "old days" when all my openvz filesystems where just a subdir that I could easily copy in and out of.

All input to these random complaints are welcome!

Comments

• JarryJarry Member

I did not find good alternative to openvz6, because honestly I was not looking for it. I kept only those openvz6-based VPS that were migrated to kvm (thank you, virmach!) and got rid of all the rest.

IMHO, with current level of hw/vps prices I do not think "OS-containers" (openvz, lxc/lxd, vserver, etc) is the way to go anymore. I dare to say the only long-term future of containers I see is app-deployment (i.e. docker/kubernetes). Not for vps-hosting...

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

I also miss the "old days" when all my openvz filesystems where just a subdir that I could easily copy in and out of.

You can still do this on Openvz 7 by accessing the /vz/root/ctid of mounted containers.

• whlwhl Member

it also seems that centos 8 is not supported (on templates for it). Centos 7 does not support TLS 1.3. Ok for the host node but my vm's need to TLS 1.3 and I prefer Centos. Any solutions?

• whlwhl Member

bump. Is anyone aware of openvz 7 hosts that offer Centos 8, Debian 10 or Ubuntu 20.04? Thanks.

• @whl said:
    bump. Is anyone aware of openvz 7 hosts that offer Centos 8, Debian 10 or Ubuntu 20.04? Thanks.

Inception Hosting offers Debian 10.

It's the only OVZ machine I've got, so no knowledge of other providers. I tend to fo for KVM virutalization.

• whlwhl Member

interesting. it seem like nearly all openvz providers can only do centos 7, debian 9 and ubuntu 18. at least on centos 7 there is no tls 1.3 in apache. I didn't really care until Firefox and newer browser versions started putting up warnings for SSL without tls 1.3 - is this not an issue for most people? Is there some work around i'm not aware of ?

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

You can convert CentOS 7 to VZ7 https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/BET/Converting+CentOS+7+to+VZ7+for+installing+SolusVM+on+it

You don't have to continue to install SolusVM. Just do the first part for converting to VZ7

• whlwhl Member

@LittleCreek Thanks much for these links - had not come across them before. Running into various issues with each but still a good start.