Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody using nested Virtualization - share your experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody using nested Virtualization - share your experience

Some providers offer nested virtualization. I never run nested vm before. Can anybody can share the experience running such thing? Assuming We got dedicated cpu from the host, how will it perform?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Works fine, performance is decent, speaking of KVM in KVM.
    Using 2 nested nodes for NanoKVM so far no issues or such of any kind.

Thanked by 1mca5701
  • @Neoon said:

thanks for sharing. Does it mean nanokvm runs on nested kvm? I will try :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2020

@mca5701 said:

@Neoon said:

thanks for sharing. Does it mean nanokvm runs on nested kvm? I will try :)

DE and JP run on nested KVM yes.
    Performance wise, we figured its best to go with raw disk images.

Latency on NVMe is also pretty much close to Host.

Thanked by 1mca5701
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited June 2020

I also found performance to be decent when running nested KVM in KVM (for testing purpose) using NVME as well as regular SSDs.

Thanked by 1mca5701
  • @Shoaib_A said:
    I also found performance to be decent when running nested KVM in KVM (for testing purpose) using NVME as well as regular SSDs.

@Neoon @Shoaib_A
    do you use plain kvm or panel such as Virtualizor/Solus

• @mca5701 said:

@Shoaib_A said:

@Neoon @Shoaib_A
    do you use plain kvm or panel such as Virtualizor/Solus

I have run it with virtualizor & without any control panel as well. Whether you use a control panel or not has no affect on performance. I currently do not run any such setup as the experience I shared is from a testing environment I setup about 7 months ago.

Thanked by 1mca5701
  • rtfmrtfm Member

i've done it with vmware quite a number of times, i wouldn't suggest it. lots of problems and usually unable to run serious business.

Thanked by 2mca5701 webcraft
  • Doesn't docker technically a nested virtualization?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@yokowasis said:
    Doesn't docker technically a nested virtualization?

Nope.
    Technically Docker uses container, not virtualization.
    For example Docker instances share the host's kernel.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @dfroe said:

@yokowasis said:
    Doesn't docker technically a nested virtualization?

Nope.
    Technically Docker uses container, not virtualization.
    For example Docker instances share the host's kernel.

Correct. I do this with my proxmox with an LXC container running docker within it. Runs well and light.

• I can also confirm that (When using NVMe SSD's) the performance of Nested virtualization is good for daily use. I would'nt recommend it, but when no other option is there. You should go for it. "Normal" SSD's and HDD are too slow for it, IMO.

Thanked by 1mca5701
  • guyz92guyz92 Member

@mca5701 said:
    Some providers offer nested virtualization. I never run nested vm before. Can anybody can share the experience running such thing? Assuming We got dedicated cpu from the host, how will it perform?

I tried it on Microsoft Azure Dv3-Series and F-Series Virtual machine. Outer layer Windows 10 Pro and a Hyper-V Docker virtual machine.

What you are planning to do with the nested virtualization?

Try to avoid multiple layers of nested virtualization. If running LXC/OpenVZ 7 inside a KVM/VMware/XenHVM/Hyper-V, overhead won't be that bad.

Thanked by 1mca5701
  • @guyz92 said:

@mca5701 said:

I tried it on Microsoft Azure Dv3-Series and F-Series Virtual machine. Outer layer Windows 10 Pro and a Hyper-V Docker virtual machine.

Try to avoid multiple layers of nested virtualization. If running LXC/OpenVZ 7 inside a KVM/VMware/XenHVM/Hyper-V, overhead won't be that bad.

Hi thanks for sharing your experience.
    What I'm planning is to run light weight app, but needs good uptime. dev environment, backup nodes, dns, monitoring nodes. Those require separate, isolated environment but might be too expensive to rent a separate VM.

does openvz or docker be suitable in such scenario?

• guyz92guyz92 Member

@mca5701 said:

@guyz92 said:

@mca5701 said:

What I'm planning is to run light weight app, but needs good uptime. dev environment, backup nodes, dns, monitoring nodes. Those require separate, isolated environment but might be too expensive to rent a separate VM.

Does all your requirement support Linux and does not require special Linux kernel module?

If yes, LXC/OpenVZ 7 is one of the possible solution for OS level container.

If your requirement all can run on docker, you can setup docker for application level container.

If your requirement need to run different OS such as Windows and Linux guest, then you need KVM. Proxmox maybe what you are looking for which is beginner friendly.

Thanked by 1mca5701
  • @guyz92 said:

@mca5701 said:

@guyz92 said:

@mca5701 said:

Does all your requirement support Linux and does not require special Linux kernel module?

If yes, LXC/OpenVZ 7 is one of the possible solution for OS level container.

If your requirement all can run on docker, you can setup docker for application level container.

If your requirement need to run different OS such as Windows and Linux guest, then you need KVM. Proxmox maybe what you are looking for which is beginner friendly.

Thanks for explaining. Do you refer proxmox as host or to be installed on top of KVM vps with vt enabled?