Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Solved) OVH VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Solved) OVH VPS

noqqkknoqqkk Member
edited June 2020 in Help

Just signed up a OVH VPS and got the login and password information of my new VPS account by email as below.

-----------------------------------------------------

The following administrator account has been configured on the VPS:
Username : centos

Password : xdasd3dfadc4

I got the error message when I run below command.

[centos@vps src]$ dnf -y update
Error: This command has to be run under the root user.

Anyone can tell me is it possible to get the root account ?

Comments

• Have you tried sudo -i?

• hzrhzr Member

I don't think an unmanaged VPS is right for you.

Thanked by 3MrH Falzo WebProject
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

@definitelyliam said:
    Have you tried sudo -i?

Now can root. Many thanks @definitelyliam

I don't need to use sudo -i in other VPS providers because they sent me the root information directly.

• PP dispute incoming , but you can always add sudo though

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

sigh.. mod please close this thread. I can see the future of this thread gonna ruin my mood today..

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

The end is nigh.

Without a doubt.

• @noqqkk said:
    Just signed up a OVH VPS and got the login and password information of my new VPS account by email as below.

-----------------------------------------------------

The following administrator account has been configured on the VPS:
    Username : centos

Password : xdasd3dfadc4

I got the error message when I run below command.

[centos@vps src]$ dnf -y update
    Error: This command has to be run under the root user.

Anyone can tell me is it possible to get the root account ?

Hi @noqqkk
    So one of the common Linux security practice is disabling direct root login. So what OVH doing here in theory, is great, with one flaw.

They are creating same users, but with different passwords. Which while not as common as “root”, still would be pretty common since the user name is the name of the os.

Now what does disabling direct root access does for you? If your server is a house, your user name and password are the two keys you need to use to open the front door.

Now if someone already has 1 key, they can simply focus on finding the other one. But when they have to guess both, it is a lot of different combination for them to go through.

Now to answer your question, the command “su” or “sudo” essentially gives admin/root permission to user that are part of “wheel” group. A special group of users, with an elevated privilege.

I may have written more than what you wanted to read, but I tried my best to make it simple so you understand the why behind what :)

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited June 2020

Also, something for you to read, while not recommended to disable sudo password prompt, you can always disable that (the beauty of Linux and its customization).

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-sudo-without-password-on-centos-linux/

Thanked by 2jar noqqkk
  • I hope you are not using this VPS for production otherwise, get someone to manage your server and secure/optimize it asap.

• Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited June 2020

I don't know if I have been doing it wrong all this time....
    but I alway create a user, if the provider set up the VPS with user only I just create the root user., I alway disable the root login... I login as a user and su root if I need to.

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • Tony40Tony40 Member

@hzr said:
    I don't think an unmanaged VPS is right for you.

I don't I agree with that, we all have to learn, the best way to learn is hand on... Even if you went to a technology school or study computer science at university, you have to practice to learn....some are like me, we practice, google it or ask questions to the pro.... that is how most of the people learn to use a PC and the Internet.

Thanked by 4noqqkk scooke imok jar
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

@seriesn , many thanks. The information you stated is very useful for me, easy to understanding and what the reason behind. Thanks again.

Recently, I signed up your storage plan for testing the upload and download speed using sFTP. I really want to tell you the up/download speed are also amazing I have never seem.
    Now I know that why you have very high reputation here.

@Tong40 , many thanks. Totally agree with your point. I am an engineer. Learning how to build a server is what I am interested recently.

I did almost the same things with you, create a user, disable root login, login by user using key plus password. Finally su- to root.

I have never used sudo in any command previously because I found no sudo in front the command which is still workable. Although this time I asked a stupid question, I found the answer here and now I know that why some tutorials I found in google they always use sudo in front of each command.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • noqqkk said: @seriesn , many thanks. The information you stated is very useful for me, easy to understanding and what the reason behind. Thanks again.

Recently, I signed up your storage plan for testing the upload and download speed using sFTP. I really want to tell you the up/download speed are also amazing I have never seem.

Now I know that why you have very high reputation here.

Pleasure is all mine boss :).

Thank you for the kind feedback and thank you for being a member of the family <3