Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview with @raindog308 published - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interview with @raindog308 published

13»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Another great interview would be with @KuJoe of SecureDragon. That guy's done everything - ran a free webhosting service for a while, wrote a book on it, ran BackupDragon, now runs SecureDragon...

Thanked by 2seriesn eastonch
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    Another great interview would be with @KuJoe of SecureDragon. That guy's done everything - ran a free webhosting service for a while, wrote a book on it, ran BackupDragon, now runs SecureDragon...

Sounds good to me. @KuJoe what do you think?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Jord said:

@raindog308 said:
    Great chance for @Jord to talk about BS.

(BillingServ)

Oh I can talk BS all day sir 😂

(Bullshit)

You should be interviewed by NatGeo instead.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@thedp said:

@Jord said:

@raindog308 said:
    Great chance for @Jord to talk about BS.

(BillingServ)

Oh I can talk BS all day sir 😂

(Bullshit)

You should be interviewed by NatGeo instead.

As long as I'm paid in BAMBOO I'd be fine with that and Richard Hammond being the interviewer :joy:

Anyone in touch with @KuJoe and @Nekki who might be able to point them here?

• Kujoe will come by sooner or later.

Nekki not so much, I'd expect a visit once a year or less.

@jbiloh said: Anyone in touch with @KuJoe and @Nekki who might be able to point them here?

I emailed both of them.

@raindog308 said:

@jbiloh said: Anyone in touch with @KuJoe and @Nekki who might be able to point them here?

I emailed both of them.

Gracias senor.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I read some of the previous interviews... I don’t think I’m a good fit for your series.

@Nekki said:
    I read some of the previous interviews... I don’t think I’m a good fit for your series.

Yoooooooooooooo welcome back 😁

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@thedp said:

@Nekki said:

Yoooooooooooooo welcome back 😁

I was most disappointed when I realised your username didn’t mean what I initially thought it did.

@Nekki said: I was most disappointed when I realised your username didn’t mean what I initially thought it did.

Hahaha sorry to disappoint you!

@Nekki said:

No stress either way but others seem to disagree.

What if @raindog308 interviewed you instead of me?

@jbiloh said: What if @raindog308 interviewed you instead of me?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said: No stress either way but others seem to disagree.

People don't know what's good for them.

You can send me a set of questions, sure, but if you think you're going to get something reasonably professional for the front-page of LEB then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Thanked by 2eastonch Pwner

@Nekki said:

@jbiloh said: No stress either way but others seem to disagree.

People don't know what's good for them.

You can send me a set of questions, sure, but if you think you're going to get something reasonably professional for the front-page of LEB then you're barking up the wrong tree.

That works,

@raindog308 think you're up for it?

@jbiloh said: @raindog308 think you're up for it?

Sent to @Nekki

@raindog308 said:

@jbiloh said: @raindog308 think you're up for it?

Sent to @Nekki

Awesome, thank you. Great questions, by the way.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Responded. If that goes up without edits, I will be simultaneously impressed and appalled.

@Nekki said:
    Responded. If that goes up without edits, I will be simultaneously impressed and appalled.

Thanks for taking part. :)

A thanks to @raindog308 for putting together the interview with @Nekki

We will be publishing the interview with Nekki soon - totally unedited (Be careful, it's certainly not safe for work).

Any other suggestions for old schoolers we should try and score and interview with? :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said:

We will be publishing the interview with Nekki soon - totally unedited (Be careful, it's certainly not safe for work).

£25 English pounds (or local currency/crypto equivalent) to whomever finds the carefully hidden message in the text.

edited June 2020

The @Nekki interview goes live July 2nd!

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • PwnerPwner Member
    edited June 2020

@Nekki said:

@jbiloh said:

£25 English pounds (or local currency/crypto equivalent) to whomever finds the carefully hidden message in the text.

Super

Excited

Not

Disappointed

iNterviewing

Unfiltered

During

Each

Sentence?

Thanked by 1Nekki

I think an interview with @jsg would be interesting. I would love to hear more about the type of advanced security work he does, as well as his general perspective on LET and computing in general.

Thanked by 1seriesn

@raindog308 said:
    I think an interview with @jsg would be interesting. I would love to hear more about the type of advanced security work he does, as well as his general perspective on LET and computing in general.

For sure, that would be great.

@jsg what do you think?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308, @jbiloh

I'm feeling flattered but frankly, I think that most users here aren't interested in me at all (and I do understand them as I'm just a normal guy).

IF there really was some interest I would of course comply with raindog308's request. But I should mention in advance that I'm not allowed to talk about anything concrete wrt my work; it's almost always under NDA. But I could of course talk "in general" about my work in ITSec. But be warned that it might be dry and boring for most, in particular as I'm not on the "cool" hacker side but on the defensive side.

TL;DR Probably not a good idea but I'll be glad to comply if the two of you (and ideally some more) think we should do it (within my legal limitations).

Btw. version 2 of my benchmark is coming along well and will soon be ready and tested ...

@jsg said: I'm feeling flattered but frankly, I think that most users here aren't interested in me at all (and I do understand them as I'm just a normal guy).

Here are the sorts of questions I'd ask:

• The basics - what part of the world you live in, your background with computers

• A general overview of what kind of work you do

• You refer sometimes to static analysis and that is probably a foreign concept to most people. What exactly does that refer to? What tools are involved?

• What kinds of projects use that level of security? Are they apps that the average user might use, embedded software, industry-specific vertical apps, or...?

• Most developers and sysadmins have some notion of security. Is it fair to think that what you work on is "the next level" or is it something completely different? Is there any application to the work you do for the average developer?

• What languages do you prefer or recommend for development?

• You've often posted comments on the Intel vulnerabilities. What is your view on the current state of chips? Is it completely hopeless?

• Do you really think AMD is better than Intel, or have they just been lucky?

• What operating systems or distributions do you use?

• What do you use your VPSes for?

• Tell us about your benchmark

Community...these seem like interesting questions to me. What say ye?

edited June 2020

Great questions @raindog308

I would be interested in reading the answers.