Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ban on WeTransfer in India: Alternatives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ban on WeTransfer in India: Alternatives

vyas11vyas11 Member
edited June 2020 in General

This week, Government of India banned file sharing service WeTransfer citing 'security' reasons. I have written a post about services similar to WeTransfer, thought of sharing the list :smile:

SendGB
Filetransfer
gett
Firefox Send
Smash
Hightail (formerly YouSendit)
Projectsend
Owncloud/Nextcloud
Telegram Messenger

Which of the below services have you used? Are there any more relevant/ useful sites that I can include in the list? ....cheers

Thanked by 1timelapse

Comments

• @vyas11 said:
    This week, Government of India banned file sharing service WeTransfer citing 'security' reasons. I have written a post about services similar to WeTransfer, thought of sharing the list :smile:

SendGB
    Filetransfer
    gett
    Firefox Send
    Smash
    Projectsend
    Owncloud/Nextcloud
    Telegram Messenger

Which of the below services have you used? Are there any more relevant/ useful sites that I can include in the list? ....cheers

Can't you access it via VPN?

• verjinverjin Member

Try this https://uplovd.com 20 GB filesize limit and unlimited bandwidth.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited June 2020

@TheKiller said:

@vyas11 said:

SendGB
    Filetransfer
    gett
    Firefox Send
    Smash
    Projectsend
    Owncloud/Nextcloud
    Telegram Messenger

It's not all that convenient.

Srsly, so you use a vpn tp upload a file, and whoever wants to dl it, needs another vpn.

Thanked by 2TheKiller vyas11
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

@duckeeyuck said:

@TheKiller said:

@vyas11 said:

SendGB
    Filetransfer
    gett
    Firefox Send
    Smash
    Projectsend
    Owncloud/Nextcloud
    Telegram Messenger

Srsly, so you use a vpn tp upload a file, and whoever wants to dl it, needs another vpn.

True, and it may not be possible for everyone to install the VPN say on a mobile phone...and explaining a VPN/ asking them to download and install and configure in 10 different languages makes it more complicated.

• @vyas11 said:

@duckeeyuck said:

@TheKiller said:

@vyas11 said:

SendGB
    Filetransfer
    gett
    Firefox Send
    Smash
    Projectsend
    Owncloud/Nextcloud
    Telegram Messenger

True, and it may not be possible for everyone to install the VPN say on a mobile phone...and explaining a VPN/ asking them to download and install and configure in 10 different languages makes it more complicated.

Not impossible, a simple VPN app is a solution and many of them are free, specially Windscribe and Hotspot shield.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@TheKiller said:

@vyas11 said:

@duckeeyuck said:

@TheKiller said:

@vyas11 said:

SendGB
    Filetransfer
    gett
    Firefox Send
    Smash
    Projectsend
    Owncloud/Nextcloud
    Telegram Messenger

Not impossible, a simple VPN app is a solution and many of them are free, specially Windscribe and Hotspot shield.

Free is the least of the issues unfortunately. Topic for a different discussion, but thanks!

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited June 2020

TheKiller said: Not impossible, a simple VPN app is a solution and many of them are free, specially Windscribe and Hotspot shield.

it's not convenient to have everyone use a vpn when you what to share files
    it's easier to ask for an alternative app that generates links anyone can download without a vpn

I use firefox send op

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • TionTion Member

I've used Firefox Send in the past and it worked just fine. Don't know how it works in India but they use Amazon S3 afaik.
    Funny thing is Firefox Send doesn't work in their privacy focused android browser Firefox Focus.

• JoeFJoeF Member

Setup your own psi transfer server.

• sanvitsanvit Member

You could use FireFox Send. I personally just upload files on Wasabi/BunnyCDN storage and send the link

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

Time someone created a Torrent based file sharing service for the browser, if that doesn't already exist.

• I can suggest Sendgb.com Other services slow or very limited. Sendgb is Europen service. Also you can keep your files up to 1 year without sign up.