Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap vps to run a gameserver
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap vps to run a gameserver

I need the cheapest VPS with high single-threaded performance and storage.

I'd need at least 100gb raid-0 storage (HDD is fine), 3gb ram, and 2 vCores off of a CPU score of at least 2470 from this list: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html. Bandwidth should either be unmetered or at least 10TB (250+mbps), hopefully with some DDoS protection.

Ideally, this would be in the NA east-coast, or an EU location.

I figured $10/month is a good price for this, but I'm happy to see the lowest prices anyone can offer at this spec.

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

A slice at @Francisco operation I think would fit you nicely.

• @PineappleBox said:

I'd need at least 100gb raid-0 storage (HDD is fine), 3gb ram, and 2 vCores off of a CPU score of at least 2470 from this list: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html. Bandwidth should either be unmetered or at least 10TB (250+mbps), hopefully with some DDoS protection.

I figured $10/month is a good price for this, but I'm happy to see the lowest prices anyone can offer at this spec.

Maybe @georgedatacenter

• hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep

@PineappleBox said:

Hey @PineappleBox,

Would you consider the UK within your search? If so, let me know and I’m more than happy to put a custom plan together for you which falls under the $10 budget.

• From my experience and personal point of view, i think you budget is a bit low.

You ask for high cpubench on single thread (so mostly a dedicated one, and you want 2 like that), anti-ddos (probably to filter UDP, so specialized antiddos), 3gb ram, speedy bandwith (for a game server, 250mbps sounds big ; but i assume your players needs to download maps or plugins, something like that -> maybe you can host this on a cloud drive?), and 100gb disk (since it could be HDD, well it's easy to find this amount in your price range).

Again it 's just my own experience, and i know some providers are ready to help to reduce our costs depending of our project and the way we organize it.

Maybe @spectraip have an offer for you?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Which game are you looking to run?

• PineappleBoxPineappleBox Member
    edited June 2020

Ympker said: Which game are you looking to run?

We're running Minecraft, however I've heavily optimized the server's configuration and it seems to be running with about 1.8gb ram / 10-15% cpu usage average.

o_be_one said: You ask for high cpubench on single thread (so mostly a dedicated one, and you want 2 like that), anti-ddos (probably to filter UDP, so specialized antiddos)

DDoS protection isn't honestly all that important- my current server is DDoS protected, so I could probably just use it as a GRE tunnel. As for the dedicated cores, currently we use vCores on an i7 cpu, which is working fine, so dedicated cores aren't all that important to us. 250mbps also isn't all that important, I just wanted some spare network speed, if it ever needs to be used. Generally we won't be using more than a few megabytes per second.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • If you have a look at letbox's ryzen lineup you can basically get the specs your looking for at around 11$/m billed annually. Im assuming that you dont use the full 100gb requirements for the world save and most of it is just backups. Been running my own mv server myself on it with some friends and its been great. https://letbox.com/page/storage

Thanked by 1letbox
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2020

@james50a said:
    If you have a look at letbox's ryzen lineup you can basically get the specs your looking for at around 11$/m billed annually. Im assuming that you dont use the full 100gb requirements for the world save and most of it is just backups. Been running my own mv server myself on it with some friends and its been great. https://letbox.com/page/storage

Good to see You happy 😃

Regards

• I also suggest letbox's ryzen lineup, they should have of what you need.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • PineappleBox said: We're running Minecraft

Any regular anti-ddos system will be enough anyway, Minecraft is in TCP only and even Hetzner cover this now. If nobody is really in the goal to down your server, you should not get any issue with the regular included DDoS protection.

Since your need is for Minecraft, i suggest you to take a look on ExtraVM from @MikeA . Maybe it will fuck a bit your budget but you will have quite all your need since ExtraVM sounds more related to game usage.

You can take a look on an old thread i made a while ago for Minecraft, some providers have answered to it so it can help you find your answer?
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/164514/looking-for-dedicated-ryzen-vcpu-2-threads-would-be-nice-and-6gb-ram-in-france-for-minecraft#latest

• PineappleBoxPineappleBox Member
    edited June 2020

o_be_one said: Any regular anti-ddos system will be enough anyway, Minecraft is in TCP only and even Hetzner cover this now. If nobody is really in the goal to down your server, you should not get any issue with the regular included DDoS protection.

We used to use a VPS resold off of a Hetzner dedi, but the reason we ended up switching from it was because of DDoS protection. As much as I love hetzner, we've received attacks up to 50gbps, at which point Hetzner is unable to protect us.

So far, I'm checking out SpctraIP and hostworld, but if anyone has more offers feel free to put them here!

Thanked by 2o_be_one hostworld
  • For @spectraip you maybe should contact them directly (here or on their website). As their ToS said, they looks used to provide some offers depending of your project.

• spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider

@PineappleBox we can offer you a VPS that suits your needs. We use AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPUs for our VPS platform. 3.8 GHz clock speed :smile:

If you can send me an email ([email protected]), Skype message (wouters.lucas) or PM on LowEndTalk, we can give you our custom offer.