Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windscribe Free & VPNLite - 2 of the "better" Free VPN Services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windscribe Free & VPNLite - 2 of the "better" Free VPN Services

YmpkerYmpker Member

So many people probably know about my LTD VPN addicition (see signature) and how I usally often enough recommend Windscribe VPN and Keepsolid VPN.

Now, given a forum user was recently looking for a VPN at the price point of 1-3$/year, simply for unblocking, I thought it was worth mentioning that the services I named above do provide a free tier as well. There are so many free VPNs out there that I'd consider a rip-off (highly likely to steal/misuse your data), so if going for a free VPN, might as well pick one of the "better ones" from established (Premium VPN) providers.

This won't be a very long post, I'll just give a short headsup on the free tier and present some self-run speedtest (nothing special).

VPNLite by Keepsolid:

Devices: Windows Store, Android, iOS, macOS.
Speedtest without VPN: 160 Mbit/s Down, 15 Mbit/s Up
Speedtest with VPN: US Location (only one available): 34 Mbit/s Down, 15 Mbit/s Up.

Speeds were decent. Streaming Services appear to be only unblocked with the Premium version.

VPNLite is a free plan offered by Keepsolid VPN (VPN Unlimited). It appears like you do not need to create an account with them to use the service (at least on Android). Or at least that's what I thought, however for whatever reason they also offer a "Premium" Plan to their "Lite" VPN. For me this doesn't make much sense since they already offer Keepsolid VPN as a "Premium" product, but VPN Lite Premium appears to be a bit cheaper than the regular price for Keepsolid VPN. Not gonna try to look for the difference here (probably some protocols +/- and device limit, missing Firewall..). This post was only about introducing the Free Tier (KeepSolid VPN Lite), anyway. Plans can be seen below.

Windscribe Free:

Devices: Desktop + Phone (Android+iOS)

Speed: Not going to provide a speedtest as multi-accounts are forbidden. Anyway, when I used the free version (back then with Reddit50 code), I always thought the speed was quite decent, too.

Windscribe VPN Free can be used to surf for free for 10GB/month (or more with some promo codes that were being issued ever so often).

You can use Windscribe for free, for as long as you like. With a confirmed email address you get 10GB/month of data, unlimited connections and access to over 10 countries.

Overall, can't go wrong with Windscribe imho, however unlimited data may be more appealing (VPNLite). It might be worth mentioning that you can build your own plan from the customer panel which starts from 1$/location/month, so essentially Windscribe Premium benefits for 1 location for 12$/year.

Comments

• If you want a simple unblocking and you own android. You can always turn on private dns and use onedotone from cloud flare.

Thanked by 2RedSox maverickp
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

From my personal experience, Windscribe is better.

Thanked by 2RedSox Ympker
  • OujiOuji Member

Windscribe paid is very good. I have the Ivacy lifetime and it works pretty good, but it is a hassle in the browser. I'm just waiting for another promo for Windscribe, like the $20/yr I currently have.

Thanked by 2RedSox Ympker
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@yokowasis said:
    If you want a simple unblocking and you own android. You can always turn on private dns and use onedotone from cloud flare.

Plenty of other methods, example: opendns does great job at filtering websites.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2020

@WebProject said:
    From my personal experience, Windscribe is better.

Windscribe is great. 32 Mbit/s download speed for a free VPN (VPN Lite) with server being US location while I am from Germany) isn't bad either tbh. :) Windscribe offers more locations on the free tier though, limits data, however. I guess both are a solid pick instead of opting for the likes of Hola, Hotspotshield, Honeypotvpn etc.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Ouji said:
    Windscribe paid is very good. I have the Ivacy lifetime and it works pretty good, but it is a hassle in the browser. I'm just waiting for another promo for Windscribe, like the $20/yr I currently have.

WS Premium is probably my favourite :)

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • @Ympker which one of them have better download speeds?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@serversHQ said:
    @Ympker which one of them have better download speeds?

I haven't used Windscribe Free in a while since I have premium, but I remember it was good. Although you are limited to 10GB/month, so when downloading perhaps VPN Lite with unlimited data is the better pick. 32 Mbit/s download isn't too bad for a free VPN :)

Thanked by 1serversHQ
  • jiiikoojiiikoo Member

I've been using a 60€ Windscribe lifetime for about 3 years now and the speeds have never been a problem. I have no issues with WS.

• OujiOuji Member

Everytime someone talks about the LFD from WS it makes me sad I didn't get it. :(

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Ouji said:
    Everytime someone talks about the LFD from WS it makes me sad I didn't get it. :(

Retrospectively it was probably one of the best LTD deals you could get.

I was really lucky to tell myself to buy it back then. It was November and on Discord they kept saying no more LTDs after January and I wasn't sure whether that would actually be true or not but at some point I couldn't live with the idea of missing out any longer :P

• Windscribe Premium, NordVPN & IvacyVPN so far so good.

My favorite is of course windscribe & NordVPN, I only use Ivacy to watch Hulu because sometimes NordVPN/windscribe not working with Hulu.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@DianTama said:
    Windscribe Premium, NordVPN & IvacyVPN so far so good.

My favorite is of course windscribe & NordVPN, I only use Ivacy to watch Hulu because sometimes NordVPN/windscribe not working with Hulu.

I really found Ivacy to be the best for unblocking Streaming Services like Hulu etc. For everything else WS/Nord/Keepsolid are better imho.

• @Ympker said:

@DianTama said:
    Windscribe Premium, NordVPN & IvacyVPN so far so good.

I really found Ivacy to be the best for unblocking Streaming Services like Hulu etc. For everything else WS/Nord/Keepsolid are better imho.

yeah..
    but their software sucks sometimes bugged out.
    i have a situation when I'm changing location, its keep the same IP

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • stormstorm Member

I was not happy with Windscribe free. Slow speeds in North America and frequent disconnects. It convinced me to not NOT sign up for their paid plan.

• UnixfyUnixfy Member

Ivacy also has a free VPN service but for iOS/Android only. I think it is also called VPNLite.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Unixfy said:
    Ivacy also has a free VPN service but for iOS/Android only. I think it is also called VPNLite.

VPNLite is Keepsolid. Ivacy free version is called "Ivacy Lite". It's indeed mobile only. At first I was going to list it, but I couldn't connect to the VPN using the free app, so skipped it :)

Thanked by 1Unixfy