Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

newbie here ... trying to make sense of the purpose of these vps servers & deals offered
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

newbie here ... trying to make sense of the purpose of these vps servers & deals offered

dimbaktourdimbaktour Member
edited May 2020 in General

Hi all,
im a newbie here and its possible my question is most basic and stupid according to many of you here. its possible that im light years behind you all so apologize for my question. im heard of LET and registered to this site hoping to find good configuration and deals on servers/VPS, and since i joined site, im trying to make sense of what LET is and i dont understand what can one do with server configurations like below do for someone ? and deals are published similar to these with 10GB-20GB HDD space as deals here.

128MB RAM
1GB Disk Space
100GB Bandwidth

what can someone do with 3GB of HDD space ? even downloading 1080p movie requires more than 5-6GB space. Or is LET more for working on our pet projects like website development and things like that... and even then 1GB storage and 128MB ram, and even these how can one do programming learning and work on pet project with low configurations ?

Did i incorrectly register to LET and dont understand what to use these servers for ? can someone please educate me please ?

Edit:
So i registered for VPS with Gullo.me for $2/year just to try out and on Node CA-VZ2. when i login to my control panel it says im online, but when i SSH into my IP through Putty, it not detecting and erroring me out 'Network Error: Timed out'. am i doing something wrong ?

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Welcome!

There's a lot of things you can do with the small disk space. Some people here are really lowend that they can run almost anything with just that small amount of resources. I believe that's the initial spirit when LET first started as well.

Anyway, there are higher-end offers here as well. Generally, the very low-end one that you mentioned is more suitable for development purpose, or redundancy instead of using it directly as production.

• Static websites/even some dynamic ones
    VPN
    downloading files under 1GB

• LET has a variety of offers not just the ones you describe, you can probably find what you're looking quite easily. Servers like that are designed for specific use cases and if you don't know what you can do with one its not even worth thinking about buying it.

• @FAT32 said:
    Welcome!

There's a lot of things you can do with the small disk space. Some people here are really lowend that they can run almost anything with just that small amount of resources. I believe that's the initial spirit when LET first started as well.

Anyway, there are higher-end offers here as well. Generally, the very low-end one that you mentioned is more suitable for development purpose, or redundancy instead of using it directly as production.

Ok this makes lot of sense, yes i agree i was looking at lowend of the spectrum and did not in my right mind understand what one can do with 128MB ram. development purposes and lowend programming projects make sense to me now.

• @WSCallum said:
    LET has a variety of offers not just the ones you describe, you can probably find what you're looking quite easily. Servers like that are designed for specific use cases and if you don't know what you can do with one its not even worth thinking about buying it.

No no i was more curious as to what all one can do with such low end resources and what do they actually put them to use, so that i can also learn that, if time permits so i can make sense of many things which you all are talking here :) the very fact that i didnt understand what one can do with lowend servers and all wonderful things which can be done and 'that which _i didnt understand _' was very concerning to me. :)

• Say, you want your own VPN rather than using the mainstream one. You buy the cheapest VPS then you proceed to use Nyr's OpenVPN / Wireguard script.

Also static websites.

• @kuroneko23 said:
    Say, you want your own VPN rather than using the mainstream one. You buy the cheapest VPS then you proceed to use Nyr's OpenVPN / Wireguard script.

Also static websites.

oh ok this makes sense