Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Win 10 pro limited to 2 vcpus?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Win 10 pro limited to 2 vcpus?

I have 8 vcores with my vps but win ten pro shows only 2? Is it limited?

Comments

• seriesnseriesn Member

@stouferz said:
    I have 8 vcores with my vps but win ten pro shows only 2? Is it limited?

You might need to play with CPU affinity :)

• So win 10 wont support more then 2 vcpu of 8... great

• FusedITFusedIT Member

seriesn said: affinity

Reminds me of when i started my old job a few years ago.. the boss running hyper-v VMs and was like I'm a pro i'm a pro... he couldn't for the life work out why it was only using like 20% of a core when the VM was maxing out.. said the same thing to him, he looked at me with a blank look on his face.. told him to trust me, walked over to the hostnode, and pushed them up and boom.. he was like... this is the greatest thing known to man.. (note; he's qualified out the wha-zoo, and been running VMs like that for years..)

but anyway.. off to read some more LET news and stuff..

• tr0gd0rtr0gd0r Member

You need the VPS to present the CPUs to Windows as a single CPU with 8 cores instead of 8 single core CPUs. Its a licensing limitation. Only server Windows can handle more than 2 CPUs.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited May 2020

Sockets x Cores x threads = vCPU allocation

Like the others said, this is probably not balanced. You'll want to get down to one socket with either four cores with two thread each, or eight cores with one thread each. Just depends if hyperthreading is supported/desired or not. Something to keep in mind, this impacts CPU cache performance.

The provider will have to adjust this for a rented VPS, most likely. These options are usually only exposed to administrators