Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gullo hosting not enough RAM, oversell? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gullo hosting not enough RAM, oversell?

2»

Comments

• AnndrAnndr Member

kennsann said: The amount of time you spent reading, writing, and replying to this thread was already more then $2...

but we have different criteria in Russia. The knowledge and information obtained as a result of the conversation is more valuable.

• drakuladrakula Member

You can install precompiled wireguard-go in gullo nat vps. I managed to run wireguard-go and shadowsocks without running out of ram.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@drakula said:
    You can install precompiled wireguard-go in gullo nat vps. I managed to run wireguard-go and shadowsocks without running out of ram.

Please compare speed between them

• drakuladrakula Member

@sonic said:

@drakula said:

Please compare speed between them

it depends on your ISP I guess, mine is faster using wireguard based on speedtest.

wg https://www.speedtest.net/result/9491691072
    ss https://www.speedtest.net/result/9491687555

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@Anndr said:
    Today I tried to update and install programs, but they write to me that:
    FATAL -> Failed to fork.
    this means not enough RAM. but everything is fine with memory
    free -m
    . total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 128 66 20 0 40 60
    Swap: 0 0 0

other programs are also very slow. I ask you to check the server and if there is, please do not do strong oversell.

P.S. My IP: 10.10.50.211

With all due respect, I would like to point out that your resource usage is showing your VM's usage and not the host's usage. Your VM is only assigned 128MB of RAM, If you find that you need more ram you are welcome to upgrade at any time directly in the client area.
    I have just checked the RAM usage on the host, it is sitting at 64% usage on the host itself, there is plenty more RAM to go around for everyone that needs it. This particular host is also quite stable with over 255 days of uptime! Knock on wood

If you need any more help from the LET Help desk to feel free to let me or anyone else know I am always here to help and I'm sure other people will be able to provide some great feedback! :)

As for everyone else, Thanks for standing up for me! It's much appreciated :tongue:.

I sometimes wish people realize I don't make a lot of money off of these servers, and I'm not doing it to make money, I do it to prove a point. Stable and reliable services shouldn't cost a fortune, and it doesn't need to.

• bdlbdl Member
    edited May 2020

@Anndr said:
    , everything is very good. but today there is a problem with RAM, but it does not affect >the VPN operation. I can't just configure the VPS itself and can't update existing >programs.

OP, unfortunately you're just running out of RAM: as said by others, your VPS is just underspec'ed for the RAM requirements that you have. Got to pick the right tool for the job - right now, you're towing a semi truck with a Lada - it might work some of the time, but generally it's not recommended. See:

(from: ) :smile:

bdl

Thanked by 4RedSox Cam Ouji Ympker
  • Use proton free vpn but I doubt you will be getting your max connection speed protonvpn.com

• AnndrAnndr Member

Cam said: I have just checked the RAM usage on the host, it is sitting at 64% usage on the host itself,

I enter a command to update and get an error:
    # apt update
    ...10 lines reading packages...
    FATAL -> Failed to fork.

if there is a lot of memory, why the error? before that everything worked fine

• @Anndr said:

Cam said: I have just checked the RAM usage on the host, it is sitting at 64% usage on the host itself,

I enter a command to update and get an error:
    # apt update
    ...10 lines reading packages...
    FATAL -> Failed to fork.

if there is a lot of memory, why the error? before that everything worked fine

Because YOUR VM is running out of memory, not the host.
    Upgrade to more memory and leave the 90s behind.
    Or do with what you got.

• Based on your first post, out of 128MB RAM, you only have 20 MB RAM left. Maybe upgrade to 256MB?

@Cam said:
    Your VM is only assigned 128MB of RAM, If you find that you need more ram you are welcome to upgrade at any time directly in the client area.

• AnndrAnndr Member

kuroneko23 said: Based on your first post, out of 128MB RAM, you only have 20 MB RAM left. Maybe upgrade to 256MB?

this is only free memory = 20 Mb. but there is another type of memory, a available memory of 60 MB. I will try to close unnecessary programs. if it worked on 128 MB before, then it should continue to work on 128 MB. until I change it to 256 MB. thanks for the support.

1. Stop your VPN server and other daemons.
    2. Do apt update & apt upgrade.
    3. Start your VPN server.

Apt needs more and more RAM year by year.
    @Cam is innocent :-)

• @Anndr said:
    this is only free memory = 20 Mb. but there is another type of memory, a available memory of 60 MB. I will try to close unnecessary programs. if it worked on 128 MB before, then it should continue to work on 128 MB. until I change it to 256 MB. thanks for the support.

Ah yes, I didn't see the cache RAM. I don't know what is that.

yes@storage:~# free -m
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            128           6           8           6         113         113
    Swap:             0           0           0

• RedSoxRedSox Member

Just reinstall OS or make it clean the way you can. Don't install a lot of stuff on your VPS, only your SS or whatever. I used to have 128 MB RAM VPS with SS, WG, OpenVPN and everything was just fine. 128 MB RAM still enough for VPN things, at least if it's KVM.

• @Cam It would be nice to add some small vSwap to avoid such problems. Half of RAM will be enough. With reducing a little main disk space.

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@MercuryV said:
    @Cam It would be nice to add some small vSwap to avoid such problems. Half of RAM will be enough. With reducing a little main disk space.

I don’t do swap as it eventually will cause more harm to IO load.

It’s cheap enough to upgrade and get more ram.

Thanked by 1MercuryV
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

Im sorry but at $2/year...yeah you have no grounds to complain on. Even for Russia it aint that much.

• @serv_ee said:
    Im sorry but at $2/year...yeah you have no grounds to complain on. Even for Russia it aint that much.

Even for Ukraine and Baltic countries 2 bucks are nothing, even for Nigeria..
    I think the OP is NEET. OP please confess

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@MercuryV said:
    1. Stop your VPN server and other daemons.
    2. Do apt update & apt upgrade.
    3. Start your VPN server.

Apt needs more and more RAM year by year.

And do use apt-get instead of apt. Avoiding every tiny wrapper that's not needed can make the difference between exit code 0 and OOM. :)

• AnndrAnndr Member

thank you all for your feedback. I was able to update the programs after I stopped and deleted all the extra programs from memory. In the future, I will stop all programs to update the system. The price for me of $ 2 a year is acceptable, maybe $ 3 a year is acceptable but I am not ready to pay more.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Anndr said:
    thank you all for your feedback. I was able to update the programs after I stopped and deleted all the extra programs from memory. In the future, I will stop all programs to update the system. The price for me of $ 2 a year is acceptable, maybe $ 3 a year is acceptable but I am not ready to pay more.

Paying the price of $3/year and having a workable VPS from a reliable provider is already an achievement. There really isn't much room for you to complain in this scenario. As others have said, if you want a better experience, be prepared to pay more and get better specs.

This issue would have happened regardless of the host/price, you're using a minimal VPS and maxing out the resources on it, then complain that it doesn't work and accuse the host of overselling the server. This would have happened on a higher spec'd VPS too if you were maxing out the resources.

• bdlbdl Member

@Anndr said:

$2 well spent.

• drakuladrakula Member

if only there's SG location :#

• @Anndr
    https://www.euserv.com/en/virtual-private-server/index.php
    this provider offers a free vps.

vServer:
    free basic model
    virtualized root server
    1x vCPU @ 1 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB HDD