Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 2012 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 2012

2»

Comments

• One use for a Server Core install of Windows is something like Exchange or MSSQL (shudder). Or perhaps a Domain Controller. You can manage those through PowerShell much better in the later versions of Windows Server and of those programs.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@sman said:
    Or just use Linux. Seriously why would someone pay for a WinBloz license only to use it without the GUI? That is pretty much the ONLY reason people so inclined prefer WinBloz over Linux. The GUI. Second reason is probably the wizards. I'm guessing a lot of those won't work without the GUI either.

This is not a topic on linux vs. Windows so you loose. This was about which version of windows you like more then the other.

Without a GUI it's all about powershell or web interface (like Exchange 2013)

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@Magiobiwan said:
    One use for a Server Core install of Windows is something like Exchange or MSSQL (shudder). Or perhaps a Domain Controller. You can manage those through PowerShell much better in the later versions of Windows Server and of those programs.

Why would anyone still consider buying their own Exchange server with all the on going costs and headaches that entails? I mean besides a few obvious exceptions which don't apply to the vast majority of situations. The hosted services make more sense for most people now a days.

• @sman said:
    Why would anyone still consider buying their own Exchange server with all the on going costs and headaches that entails? I mean besides a few obvious exceptions which don't apply to the vast majority of situations. The hosted services make more sense for most people now a days.

LDAP Integration + internal firewalls and tie in to those apps, e.g. Sharepoint.

• @concerto49 said:

You can do all that with office 365 as well I believe. Again, you are reaching for the exceptions and I already stated there will always be some.

• MikHo said: This is not a topic on linux vs. Windows so you loose. This was about which version of windows you like more then the other.

Without a GUI it's all about powershell or web interface (like Exchange 2013)

• Windows Server 2012 system requirements are killing.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2013

eh, what? I run it (2012 R2) on 512MB RAM and 15GB HDD inside a KVM... it works FAR better than my old 2008 R2.

Thanked by 2wrox mikho
  • @sman said: Why would anyone still consider buying their own Exchange server with all the on going costs and headaches that entails?

When the contract with your clients says that data (trade secrets) that client send to you should not go on third party services. This is just one example.

• William said: eh, what? I run it (2012 R2) on 512MB RAM and 15GB HDD inside a KVM... it works FAR better than my old 2008 R2.

I second this.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@sman said:
    You can do all that with office 365 as well I believe. Again, you are reaching for the exceptions and I already stated there will always be some.

We have recent case here in Sweden were what we call "kommun" (if you should compare it with something American, I think countys are what comes close) recently were dragged into court because they can not say where their data is stored. They are using cloud services.

So by law they need to know where and that their data is stored within the borders.
    The court cas will be interesting to follow.