Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Design feedback wanted + A little update on GameDash
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Design feedback wanted + A little update on GameDash

CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Hey everyone,

We're super close to the release of GameDash ( https://gamedash.io / https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160841/new-all-in-one-gameserver-control-panel-production-beta-starts-november-18th-sign-ups-now-open ). Early access testing is well underway and we're currently improving on loads of things, including the design of the control panel.

We weren't quite happy with it, so we simplified a few things. Please do let us know what you think.

Before

After

Dark mode

The development of GameDash is extremely feedback-driven and we love discussing anything with our community with the goal of making it a better product. If you'd like to take part in that process, please do join our discord at https://gamedash.io/discord

Thanked by 2wdmg tetahost

Comments

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 2020

You tried light blue icons? or blue outlined icons?

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@cazrz said:
    You tried light blue icons? or blue outlined icons?

No I haven't. Interesting idea, though.

Main issue with that is how it'd look if those icons were to become the color that the user sets using the theming system. Worrying whether that'd look good.

• cazrzcazrz Member

Only color the icons in the right panel. To highlight content panel.

@cazrz said:
    Only color the icons in the right panel. To highlight content panel.

Got it. Will try and see how it looks :)

• The critique above applies partly to dark mode and some to the global layout. You're on the right path, and are making good use of the Material design ideology.

• I think you struggle because you need to pack 2 menus into left side. What about moving that primary menu item to top bar and make your design full width ?

• @shyaminayesh said:
    I think you struggle because you need to pack 2 menus into left side. What about moving that primary menu item to top bar and make your design full width ?

That would be an intense nav menu, I'd argue it's better UX to have it left-aligned (or RTL for Eastern users).

• alectrocute said: That would be an intense nav menu, I'd argue it's better UX to have it left-aligned (or RTL for Eastern users).

that's something to consider, Then what about devided left menu for both of the menu sets ?

• PS @CConner - https://gamedash.io/auth/signin/ 404!

Also, plz set server_tokens no in nginx.conf! :hushed:

• cazrzcazrz Member

If you can make the sidemenu group name collapsible. IMHO its just too much menu. But still, putting it all in the sidebar is your best location. The sidebar scrollbar if you can make it a bit slimmer in width.

@alectrocute said:
    PS @CConner - https://gamedash.io/auth/signin/ 404!

Also, plz set server_tokens no in nginx.conf! :hushed:

We've not yet pushed to production, so the license/sales portal isn't live yet. I have agree that it should be a bit clearer that that is the case.

@alectrocute said:

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on a lot of the points you've mentioned and will implement them tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to explain it in detail! :)

• alectrocutealectrocute Member
    edited May 2020

@CConner said:

@alectrocute said:

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on a lot of the points you've mentioned and will implement them tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to explain it in detail! :)

No worries! Sorry it's rushed, but I can't do any better for the price ;)

Overall, you've got a nice UI. I'll say it again. Good work, I'd love to be kept in the loop on this project. Can you tell me more about your app architecture?

@alectrocute said:

@CConner said:

@alectrocute said:

No worries! Sorry it's rushed, but I can't do any better for the price ;)

Overall, you've got a nice UI. I'll say it again. Good work, I'd love to be kept in the loop on this project. Can you tell me more about your app architecture?

It's divided in to a couple of services:

Master (responible for the main REST API that the frontend interacts with and controls the entire infrastructure) built using my own framework inspired by Symfony with PHP MariaDB and Redis. Also had to write a powerful job queueing that is able to handle a couple thousand concurrent jobs.

Daemon (controls the actual machine running the game servers) built using Java with some bits of C++ and C#/.NET to interact with the OS as GameDash supports both Linux and Windows hosts.

Frontend built using TypeScript and React

Mobile app built using React Native and TypeScript

Hope this gives you a good overview :)

• alectrocutealectrocute Member
    edited May 2020

CConner said: Hope this gives you a good overview

It does, thank you! Nice stack choice (minus the PHP.... just kidding).

So it's entirely SaaS? The master would obviously be a central watchdog, and the daemon is what's distributed to users?

Edit – I read your docs and saw that it's all self-hosted & licensed. Very nice!

edited May 2020

@alectrocute said:

CConner said: Hope this gives you a good overview

It does, thank you! Nice stack choice (minus the PHP.... just kidding).

So it's entirely SaaS? The master would obviously be a central watchdog, and the daemon is what's distributed to users?

Edit – I read your docs and saw that it's all self-hosted & licensed. Very nice!

When I started this project a few years as go I was most comfortable with PHP, which is why I chose it. If I were to rewrite it I'd choose Kotlin.

And you're right, it's fully self hosted. I basically wanted to create a complete replacement for TCAdmin and Multicraft. We're working on a SaaS version too using Kubernetes. It will allow you to deploy new (virtual) machine to host your game servers from within the control panel. They will be provided by us. So it's a fully managed solution.

Here's progress so far

• @CConner said:
    Here's progress so far

Very nice! It's starting to look amazing!

Final nitpick is badge size/spacing, I think it would look more polished if it appeared as so:

• I've never seen such a well-executed use of Material Design. Dare I say, it's one of the best panel designs I've seen to date. Good work @CConner!

edited May 2020

@alectrocute said:

@CConner said:
    Here's progress so far

Very nice! It's starting to look amazing!

Final nitpick is badge size/spacing, I think it would look more polished if it appeared as so:

Honestly can't see the difference haha. Is it possible for you to highlight what change you propose?

@alectrocute said:
    I've never seen such a well-executed use of Material Design. Dare I say, it's one of the best panel designs I've seen to date. Good work @CConner!

Thanks again :)

• @CConner said:
    Hey everyone,

We're super close to the release of GameDash ( https://gamedash.io / https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160841/new-all-in-one-gameserver-control-panel-production-beta-starts-november-18th-sign-ups-now-open ). Early access testing is well underway and we're currently improving on loads of things, including the design of the control panel.

We weren't quite happy with it, so we simplified a few things. Please do let us know what you think.

Before

After

Dark mode

The development of GameDash is extremely feedback-driven and we love discussing anything with our community with the goal of making it a better product. If you'd like to take part in that process, please do join our discord at https://gamedash.io/discord

Hey @CConner, please contact me when you will release it for testing, I'm interested to sell game hosting. I really like your design and also I've seen a list of rich features.

Hey @tetahost

Feel free to join our Discord https://gamedash.io/discord to stay up to date with the development. We're currently in early access so we're testing it with a closed group and might soon be expanding that group.

• CConner said: Honestly can't see the difference haha. Is it possible for you to highlight what change you propose?

Sure, observe the badge icon and note how the size/spacing is more similar to the hamburger icon to its left.

@alectrocute said:

CConner said: Honestly can't see the difference haha. Is it possible for you to highlight what change you propose?

Sure, observe the badge icon and note how the size/spacing is more similar to the hamburger icon to its left.

Yep see it and applied it. Thanks again! :)

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2021

I'll have to share my experience in this.

Around at Fall of 2020 I asked to buy a license for my project to offer free gameservers in LET, and got overwhelmingly positive feedback from CConner saying that he would sort me out and sell me a key since he supports such activity.

So I bought server for it, but when I asked about the purchase process for that key, he was always busy and/or ignored me.

Sadly I never got to buy the key from him and wasted money on the dedicated server, so without the software, that project kinda died.

I asked multiple relevant people about this project, and while some of them did not comment, most of them claimed that it doesn't even exist.

Here's what Cubecoder dev said for example:

At this point im curious if anyone actually got the software installed and I was just ignored for a week?

• alexgoldalexgold Member, Host Rep

@stefeman said:
    I'll have to share my experience in this.

Around at Fall of 2020 I asked to buy a license for my project to offer free gameservers in LET, and got overwhelmingly positive feedback from CConner saying that he would sort me out and sell me a key since he supports such activity.

So I bought server for it, but when I asked about the purchase process for that key, he was always busy and/or ignored me.

Sadly I never got to buy the key from him and wasted money on the dedicated server, so without the software, that project kinda died.

I asked multiple relevant people about this project, and while some of them did not comment, most of them claimed that it doesn't even exist.

Here's what Cubecoder dev said for example:

At this point im curious if anyone actually got the software installed and I was just ignored for a week?

Hi,
    Yes - I was in contact with Jesse for a couple of months about GameDash and other business opportunities. I got access to the early-access and the panel works fine, but with only Minecraft configuration on it without any other games. since it's early access it was fine.

The panel has a lot of potential, but Jesse needs to work on his form of work.