Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small LXC in Germany with 1vCore, 512MB, 20GB SSD, 1Gbit/s shared, 1IPv4 for 1,49€/mo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small LXC in Germany with 1vCore, 512MB, 20GB SSD, 1Gbit/s shared, 1IPv4 for 1,49€/mo

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited May 2020 in General

Just found this special offer from a german prepaid provider (in other words: no bothering with german cancellation fun) . Traffic says fair use 250GB but more is allowed if appropriate usage (chat agent said under 1TB should be usually fine over the month).

If some of you remember I used Dynbox LXC for 1,49€/mo a fair while ago and it was okay but had a HDD and 100 Mbit/s port.

The LXC X-Small plan from ST (usually 1,99€/mo) is currently discounted to 1,49€/mo and fits the bill nicely. Ofc you could get a nice Hetzner for a little more, or also another LET at same/less pricing but the location, 1 Gbit/s, IPv4 and SSD make it interesting to me. I don't care if it's LXC. For a small VPS like that I don't put projects on that'd make KVM obilgatory, necessarily.

Link: Click

Disclaimer: I haven't used them before but asked about the Traffic Regulations on live chat and spoke to a friendly chat agent. He said staying under 1TB/mo for any reasonable use cases should be still fine so 250GB is no hard-limit it seems. Also invited them over since some of their plans seem to be in the LE pricing.

FUP regardless ("traceable" in the FUP probably is meant to say "reasonable"): Click FUP

Here's to more german providers that won't make ppl hate them for weird contract cancellation policies (prepaid) :)

I'll see if I can run a bench on one of these bad boys later and post it below.

Edit: They said they gonna pm me the benchmarks later today so stay tuned!

Ympker

Thanked by 3mrTom RedSox coreflux

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

Not anything against provider, but this is why I hate the "fair use bandwidth" thing German providers love to advertise so much. 250GB? In Germany?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2020

@hzr said:
    Not anything against provider, but this is why I hate the "fair use bandwidth" thing German providers love to advertise so much. 250GB? In Germany?

Yeah, I also thought 250GB was kinda low. Then again, it could very well be that most of their customers really don't use more. Might be better to name a soft-limit than no limit. Especially on a 1 Gbit/s shared port. That's why I asked in chat. Tbh for me 250GB is probably sufficient for 80% of the projects I'd put on a tiny server like that. If it's gonna be a personal VPN for the entire home devices list (PC, Chromecast, FireTV, Laptop, Parents devicss etc) then it's gonna be around 500GB. But a small website, some small gameserver, a personal vpn for only a couple devices, self hosted wiki, some wp site.. There's enough to do.

Anyway, the chat agent said that 1TB/mo shoulf still be fine for reasonable use cases, so the 250GB does not appear to be a hard limit.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Have you signed up ?? Any benchmark ?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Check OP. They'll pm me benchmark later today :) Asked for Geekbench and Serverscope.io

Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL

@Ympker said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Check OP. They'll pm me benchmark later today :) Asked for Geekbench and Serverscope.io

Waiting to see that.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited May 2020

Had a server with some two or three years ago. Server performance was ok, not much steal but no speedrunner. Support replied in an acceptable timely manner (during working days). However, the performance and support quality varied a lot, not much stability, many changes to the product as I remember.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • chrispchrisp Member

@Ympker not mentioning the DC they are using -> https://signaltransmitter.de/en/datacenter
    Do you know that?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@chrisp said:
    @Ympker not mentioning the DC they are using -> https://signaltransmitter.de/en/datacenter
    Do you know that?

Somewhere in Frankfurt I think. Maybe ask on website or wait for bench :)

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited May 2020

@chrisp said:
    Do you know that?

I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember that it's interxion.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • sthostingsthosting Member, Patron Provider

Our servers are located in the Aixit Datacenter in Frankfurt.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2020

Benchmark results are here @Mahfuz_SS_EHL ; https://serverscope.io/trials/ZDJq#system

If you want a different bench you can probably tag @sthosting ? :)

@sthosting said:
    Our servers are located in the Aixit Datacenter in Frankfurt.

Welcome to the community @sthosting ;)

Any Test IP @sthosting ?

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL we don't offer a public test IP currently.

Update: We've now set up a looking-glass here: https://lg.signaltransmitter.de/

• @hzr said:
    this is why I hate the "fair use bandwidth" thing German providers love to advertise

What does the "fair use" mean in Germany @sthosting ?
    Welcome to our community 🙌

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@hzr said:
    this is why I hate the "fair use bandwidth" thing German providers love to advertise

What does the "fair use" mean in Germany @sthosting ?
    Welcome to our community 🙌

Fair use in general means, there is a traffic limit but we are not going to tell you what exact that traffic limit is. You never know when it will hit you.

For example, you use more than the average, some providers then tell you its not longer fair use, or you run specific services, which don't fall into their fair use schema, which brings you into getting throttled, suspended or contacted earlier than with a different service.

Same goes for the unlimited storage bullshit, there is also a limit, but it looks better, for the end user when he compares providers and gives them a benefit.

I would not touch any fair use bullshit, you may be fine, if you just end up getting a few 100GB of traffic but if you hit 1TB+ you will likely get unlucky.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions

@Offshore_Solutions That is a traffic counting policy, usual in Germany which means that you don't have to extra pay for traffic, if the traffic will be within "usual" usage.

In the practical case, we look at vServers and Dedicated Servers that consume more than 5 TB per month. If there is a plausible reason for it, it is ok so far, if not, we check together with the customer, which service causes this traffic.

The customer does not have to expect surprising costs.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions