Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap KVM in Dallas?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap KVM in Dallas?

Hi all,

I've been using openvz hosts for a number of years and hit upon an issue that requires me to have more control over the kernel, so I'm looking for a KVM based VPS.

Requirements:
Must be in the Dallas,TX area
Must have at least 1 ipv4 and 1 ipv6 and provide RDNS
Must have at least 3GB memory
Must have at least 1 CPU (obviously) but 2 would be nice.
Must have at least 80GB of hard drive space. Regular HDD is fine, I don't need the expense of SSD

In an ideal world I'd colo an old HP DL380 I picked up cheap, but most places want $40+ for a 2U and a budget for that would maybe be $200 a yr. This is not a commercial venture so there's no income to pay the bill.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you have a specific offer that matches my requirements.

Thanks,
Nigel

Comments

• cazrzcazrz Member

speedykvm.com
    intovps.com
    ultravps.eu
    vultr.com
    greencloudvps.com
    leapswitch.com
    virmach.com

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • NelginNelgin Member

@cazrz said:
    speedykvm.com
    intovps.com
    ultravps.eu
    vultr.com
    greencloudvps.com
    leapswitch.com
    virmach.com

"if you have a specific offer that matches my requirements." - This post is aimed at providers that know their services and can respond accordingly.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@Nelgin said:

@cazrz said:
    speedykvm.com
    intovps.com
    ultravps.eu
    vultr.com
    greencloudvps.com
    leapswitch.com
    virmach.com

"if you have a specific offer that matches my requirements." - This post is aimed at providers that know their services and can respond accordingly.

All of the providers the @cazrz listed above are good providers with plans that roughly match your requirements and meet your budget.

So why would you not consider those?

• NelginNelgin Member

@lentro said:

@Nelgin said:

@cazrz said:
    speedykvm.com
    intovps.com
    ultravps.eu
    vultr.com
    greencloudvps.com
    leapswitch.com
    virmach.com

All of the providers the @cazrz listed above are good providers with plans that roughly match your requirements and meet your budget.

So why would you not consider those?

Because a provider may be able to offer a discount code that is not generally published. Roughly match != match.

• imokimok Member

Don't be rude. People is trying to help you.

Also, I doub those providers are going to give you a discount code here.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Nelgin I'm not in Dallas but down the "road" in Spring, Texas. usually most people only see a few MS added on to their pings.
    We do colo and won't cost you $200/month depending on your needs.
    We also do VPS as well.
    https://www.aliendata.com

• NelginNelgin Member

@AlienData_Josh said:
    @Nelgin I'm not in Dallas but down the "road" in Spring, Texas. usually most people only see a few MS added on to their pings.
    We also do VPS as well.

I did look at your colo offering and "from $10" by the time I added 1U, power, an IP, bandwidth, it came out to almost $50 per month, which is about what everyone else is charging.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Nelgin said:

@AlienData_Josh said:
    We also do VPS as well.

I did look at your colo offering and "from $10" by the time I added 1U, power, an IP, bandwidth, it came out to almost $50 per month, which is about what everyone else is charging.

What bandwidth were you looking at?
    If you want to PM details then we can work a deal out.

• hostnamastehostnamaste Member, Patron Provider

@Nelgin :

I can offer the following custom KVM VPS, If it's suitable according to your requirements, our nodes are in Quadranet's, Dallas, Texas, USA Networks.

• 4GB RAM, 100GB Storage, 2TB Bandwidth, 2 x CPU Cores, 1xIPv4, 1xIPv6, PTR/rDNS Supported, KVM + SolusVM Access, at $180/year.

Please let me know and I will send you the link in PM.

• NelginNelgin Member

I received a private message with a specific offer that met, in fact exceeded my requirements slightly at a price that was just in my range. I'm already setup and it's working as I expected.

Thank you to those who contacted me with offers. This issue is now resolved.

• You can try Linode. My site is running on Linode 4GB Ram, 2 vcore CPU. I'm paying $20/month.

• NelginNelgin Member

Well, back to the drawing board. I received an offer at $6.50 per month (this was after a 50% recurring discount) for 4gb, 2cou, 80gb hard disk 1gb port with 4tb per month (I don't need that much bandwidth but anyway)... Unfortunately their offering wasn't really ready for prime time, their ipv6 didn't work to most locations I was trying to reach and then I found that RDNS didn't work either. I opened 3 tickets for them to check to each of the 3 ipv6 destinations and one for RDNS, they decided it'd be easier to cancel my account and give me until midnight to get my data off than work with me, I gave them a month to try and resolve the issues with ipv6. So, here I am again.

In answer to @imok who said I wouldn't get a discount code here, that's exactly what I received from a company that didn't offer this 50% discount in Dallas since it was a new offering. Again, I was willing to work with them, but they terminated my account anyway.
    Back to accepting offers.

• imokimok Member

Nelgin said: In answer to @imok who said I wouldn't get a discount code here, that's exactly what I received from a company that didn't offer this 50% discount in Dallas since it was a new offering.

I was talking about the reputable providers included by @cazrz. SpeedyKVM, UltraVPS.eu, Vultr, Leapswitch and VirMach don't offer personalized discount codes here most of the time (except flash sales).

Of course you are going to find a lot of coupon codes here from any kind of quality, and
    I'm glad you found the discount you want.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • SavaSava Member

You open 3 tickets in just 5 days? :-/

• NelginNelgin Member

@Sava One because I couldn't reach google via ipv6, one because I couldn't reach my home system, and one because one of my peers that I use ipv6 with couldn't be reached.
    No biggie really,

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

If you are still looking, we exceed the requirements for VPS and are priced at 7$/month.

4 GB Ram, 90 GB SSD disk, 1 IP, /64 IPv6, 4 TB Bandwidth, 4 Shared vCPU Cores

https://drserver.net/vps.php (KVM-S with the promotion code on the page).

• NelginNelgin Member

@Radi said:
    If you are still looking, we exceed the requirements for VPS and are priced at 7$/month.

Thanks. I'll contact you privately with some questions.

• Perhaps @SpryServers_Tab can help you out in Dallas, they have been rock solid for me for a very long time now

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • 4 GB Ram, 90 GB SSD disk, 1 IP, /64 IPv6, 4 TB Bandwidth, 4 Shared vCPU Cores

I can vouch for these guys. Great service. Premium network.

Thanked by 1Nelgin
  • NelginNelgin Member

@vimalware said:

I can vouch for these guys. Great service. Premium network.

I appreciate you letting me know that they've provided you with a great service.

• pbxpbx Member

DrServer is probably a good choice.

I remembered those guys: https://www.tier.net/vps-powerhouse-specials

Can't vouch for them as I didn't use them yet.

• NelginNelgin Member

@pbx said:
    DrServer is probably a good choice.

I remembered those guys: https://www.tier.net/vps-powerhouse-specials

Can't vouch for them as I didn't use them yet.

Their specs are lower for slightly more than I've had offers, but thank you for the suggestion. I will look into them of my other options don't pan out.