Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Cloudflare...!!! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Cloudflare...!!!

2»

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2020

@eva2000 said:

stefeman said: jsg, did you even read? Because its currently the only one out of all we tested from sucuri, cloudflare and etc to protect our badly optimized xenforo forums and sourcebans page from being down 24/7 all the time.

Cloudflare can protect for Xenforo forums as well just needs more manual setup for layer 7 attacks via CF Firewall Rules and tweaking CF WAF. And Xenforo is far from badly optimized itself.

We tried cloudflare rate limits, under attack mode and other options, no luck.

And having the site down was demoralizing for our gaming community.

• @jonesolutions is there any indication or tests you have run or feedback you received that something "years ago" persists and has not been improved/modified/enhanced?

• @Unbelievable said:
    @jonesolutions is there any indication or tests you have run or feedback you received that something "years ago" persists and has not been improved/modified/enhanced?

We didn't look back after we ditched it. When we reported it, they said they found no issues on their server but we did. It is about the tampering issue.... Not sure if they recognized it already or fixed it.

edited April 2020

@pbx said:
    @jsg Honestly there is no need for too many POPs: better some well connected POPs than a lot of POPs where your files won't necessarily be stored and this will end up being a MISS and fetch to the origin, don't you think? IMO 1 POP in AU is enough for example. Sure in this example some places are clearly lacking, but adding just a few more POPs (SG / KH or JP and SA?) would probably be enough for good results all around the world. BTW @fluxcdn using CF for your own DSN doesn't look very professional, and your website doesn't give much information on the service you provide and how it does work...

BunnyCDN uses Cloudflare too for NS. Besides I don't see how that is unprofessional myself as bunnyCDN is great in what it does. Optimizing and speeding up websites around the world.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2020

stefeman said: We tried cloudflare rate limits, under attack mode and other options, no luck.

layer 7 attacks need more fine grain control and understanding of the web app you're trying to protect but it can be done for Xenforo on Cloudflare. For instance 120 requests/min can be either too high or too low depending on the endpoint being targeted and underlying technology and server resources serving that endpoint - static web server or dynamic php etc.

custom Cloudflare Firewall rules https://developers.cloudflare.com/firewall/cf-firewall-rules/ will also help before they even get to rate limiting stage.

some examples at https://developers.cloudflare.com/firewall/recipes/

Thanked by 1pbx
    edited April 2020

@eva2000 said:

stefeman said: We tried cloudflare rate limits, under attack mode and other options, no luck.

layer 7 attacks need more fine grain control and understanding of the web app you're trying to protect but it can be done for Xenforo on Cloudflare. For instance 120 requests/min can be either too high or too low depending on the endpoint being targeted and underlying technology and server resources serving that endpoint - static web server or dynamic php etc.

custom Cloudflare Firewall rules https://developers.cloudflare.com/firewall/cf-firewall-rules/ will also help before they even get to rate limiting stage.

We can't hire someone to keep the site and firewall rules up 24/7 to respond whatever some dumbfuck that has bothered us for years with ddos comes up on his free time. All of us have real life jobs, and he has only time during the work hours.

At least not when the other option is to just use something that works out of the box.

I mean, look at this shit we get from the guy, sometimes even middle of night when were a sleep and not able to respond to the attacks.

167.71.218.29 - - [17/Apr/2020:19:33:57 +0200] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 11276 "https://yahoo.com" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:74.1) Gecko/20100101 Marvel_tryharder/74.1"

103.103.0.140 - - [23/Apr/2020:15:43:42 +0200] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 11106 "https://censored.com/" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:74.0) Gecko/20100101 Marvy_browsing_desperately_tryharding_while_players_get_ddosed_LMFAO/74.0"

Gecko/20100101 Marvel_seal_the_deal_more_ddos_in_future/74.2

You can see we're dealing with a lunatic that has all the time in the world to attack us.

We did try some of the stuff mentioned in those links, and had limited success with it untill he came up with other methods to take the site or the origin webserver behind it down or slow it down considerably.

For example attacking our sourcebans page that is far less optimized compared to xenforo main forums which even that, he still could take offline. Taking down the sourcebans is not an option either as players rely on it to submit their ban protests and check the server status and player amounts.

Not even once we went down after switching. That's the best revenge against the DDoSer. Hes been going nuclear against our gameservers ever since we got the website back online.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@fluxcdn said:

stefeman said: Billing is hardcoded into protugese VAT for some reason, and subdomains have to be added manually via ticket lol.

Thanks for the feedback. Our dashboard is still in beta and we plan to have a more simple solution for subdomains and take in account the customer billing data.

Are you guys from Portugal by any chance?

• @MikePT said:

@fluxcdn said:

stefeman said: Billing is hardcoded into protugese VAT for some reason, and subdomains have to be added manually via ticket lol.

Thanks for the feedback. Our dashboard is still in beta and we plan to have a more simple solution for subdomains and take in account the customer billing data.

Are you guys from Portugal by any chance?

They are hehe.

• pbxpbx Member

stefeman said: Besides I don't see how that is unprofessional myself

When you pretend to offer DDOS protection (could it be mostly OVH DDOS protection?) using the DNS server of one of the world biggest DDOS protection / CDN company sounds fucked up. Just my opinion. I can understand why they use it though. In the context of BunnyCDN, who don't pretend to offer DDOS protection it makes more sense: they have their own anycast DNS but use CF in case there is a serious problem with their network so that they can inform their userbase. When it seems like you don't have your own DNS, being dependent upon CF while you basically offer for a fee what they offer for free sounds fishy.

edited April 2020

@pbx said:

stefeman said: Besides I don't see how that is unprofessional myself

When you pretend to offer DDOS protection (could it be mostly OVH DDOS protection?) using the DNS server of one of the world biggest DDOS protection / CDN company sounds fucked up. Just my opinion. I can understand why they use it though. In the context of BunnyCDN, who don't pretend to offer DDOS protection it makes more sense: they have their own anycast DNS but use CF in case there is a serious problem with their network so that they can inform their userbase. When it seems like you don't have your own DNS, being dependent upon CF while you basically offer for a fee what they offer for free sounds fishy.

Why use word "pretend", and "OVH DDoS Protection". When it actually works without any pretending needed, and as for the OVH, they don't offer any L7 capabilities so I can imagine the actual DDoS protection for the websites is their inhouse tweaking.

Whatever, as long as it keeps working for us, I don't mind speaking up for it. However its useless to recommend it here as its not LET kosher choice and only causes anger amongst the community here. Besides I agree they are clunky when it comes to billing or adding subdomains.

• pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2020

stefeman said: Why use word "pretend", and "OVH DDoS Protection".

Well I never tried it, and they have no free offer so we can try their stuff, nor do they offer any clear information on their website. I just write what I understand. They want to give potential customer more information? Nice, let's hear what they have to say! In the meantime we can only guess from what we see...

I remember some guys selling DDOS protection while it was in fact nginx on VPSes in each BuyVM location. In this field you can't expect new companies to come with a serious setup unless that's proven.

• @jbiloh said:

@marvel said:
    I ditched cloudflare for fluxcdn. Never looked back.

What makes it better?

We use cloud flare here on leb and let and have found it generally good.

If CF works for you sure, but I had a persistent attacker who kept downing my website. Cloudflare couldn't protect it. UAM didn't even work as well as rate limiting.

Also with Cloudflare there is no Auto UAM. You have to enable or disable it manually. With Flux my site is now always online and it's in sensor mode, so UAM will auto enable once an attack starts and disables when it ends. I haven't been down since.

I find it much more user friendly and the of/on protection just works. I don't need all the CF bells and whistles.

• @eva2000 said:

I'm sure it's possible but I don't want to do that. I just want my site not to go down and I don't care how it's done. With fluxcdn it stopped going down and I didn't need any recipes :smiley:

• @LTniger said:

@jbiloh said:

@marvel said:
    I ditched cloudflare for fluxcdn. Never looked back.

What makes it better?

We use cloud flare here on leb and let and have found it generally good.

They are joke. CDN provider who can't take care of his own domain:

https://fluxcdn.com - OK
    https://www.fluxcdn.com - FAIL

Inability to handle CNAME's properly - signalizing of trouble non-the-less.

I agree the site still needs a lot of work. In fact they are probably losing customers over it. There is not much automated but it's a work in progress.

I'm really impressed with the protection though which is what matters most for me.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Front up and first I want to say something clearly: What I wrote was not meant against @fluxcdn ! It is simply about concerns I see and think they might want to address. But of course I wish every new player related to our field good luck and success.

@pbx said:
    @jsg Honestly there is no need for too many POPs: better some well connected POPs than a lot of POPs where your files won't necessarily be stored and this will end up being a MISS and fetch to the origin, don't you think? IMO 1 POP in AU is enough for example. ...

Probably true, at least in the beginning, but that's not how most potential clients see it. You know the game: "more is better".

@eva2000 said:
    I'd imagine the global and regional specific CDN markets are very big - enough room for alot of folks to make a living even if they aren't the best right now. Remember when cdn77 and keycdn and even bunnycdn came to market when they were unknown at the beginning ?

True, but now there already exists a favourite cheap-but-really-good player with BunnyCDN. Plus there are plenty hosting providers offering DDOS protection.

@stefeman said:
    jsg, did you even read? Because its currently the only one out of all we tested from sucuri, cloudflare and etc to protect our badly optimized xenforo forums and sourcebans page from being down 24/7 all the time.

Maybe bunnyCDN can do that too, but the bandwidth costs would cost us an organ or two alone cause of the amount of traffic the website eats when its under attack.

Even assuming that you are right, can an Anti-DDOS company live and grow from you and very similar cases?

@jonesolutions said:
    If you are concern with security and privacy, you should never use CDN especially for JavaScript and such.... unless you trust the CDN provider and you are on a dedicated IP. We tested Cloudflare years ago and found some security issue so we ditched it.

Yes, that's the reason for a part of my concerns/questions.

@marvel

Customers like you are their "treasure", the factor that could help considerably with their start.

Again, I wish fluxcdn well and may they succeed. But for now I stay sceptical.