Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a DirectAdmin lifetime licence
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buying a DirectAdmin lifetime licence

jhjh Member

If you have one you don't need, name your price :)

Comments

• @DA_Mark can confirm this, but its my understanding that you can't transfer licenses

Thanked by 2MichaelCee DA_Mark
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited April 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    @DA_Mark can confirm this, but its my understanding that you can't transfer licenses

https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/wts-directadmin-lifetime-license-3x.58685/#post-300543

"As I mentioned in another thread, we aren't permitting licenses to move between accounts"

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • One Can sell the whole A/C though

• It's not possible to have a license moved/pushed to your own account any more but I suppose nothing prevents someone from "selling" you an old license by simply giving you access to their account. In a way, @MikeIn is correct. We certainly are not out to get our old customers, and we will not suspend an account simply because the contact info has changed.

But keep in mind you could still be scammed, because the original owner could claim that their account got compromised (and they would have the PayPal / credit card proof to show they are the original purchaser). Also, you don't even know if the seller is an original owner or trying to sell you a compromised account. The original purchaser can take back their license at any time, because they are the ones we have the contract with.

I'm not saying @jh is asking anything bad/wrong, but just pointing out that we don't have the resources to spend hours on every deal dispute, so tread with a bit of caution :)

• @DA_Mark If somebody has an old lifetime external license why is it not possible to get it transferred? back then the TC allowed this so I don't understand why is it being prevented now especially when somebody paid full price of it. The original terms should still be valid which was at the time of the purchase just saying...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

andrewn said: @DA_Mark If somebody has an old lifetime external license why is it not possible to get it transferred? back then the TC allowed this so I don't understand why is it being prevented now especially when somebody paid full price of it. The original terms should still be valid which was at the time of the purchase just saying...

To stop a black market for licenses to form.

Basically they sold a lot of those licenses as a loss leader to support themselves. With the cPanel pricing changes they don't need to do that anymore.

Even WHMCS only lets you do a single transfer.

Francisco

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • jhjh Member
    edited April 2020

Hey @DA_Mark, I appreciate the reply. I found a different thread where you permitted someone to transfer a licence before I posted this. Maybe it was a one-off but I went off that. Thanks for the information anyway. With that in mind, I'd still like to buy one but I'll make sure it's from a trusted member.

Also I totally get it from your perspective. $300 was cheap. I got one just before you withdrew them and I'm kicking myself for not getting a second.

• @andrewn It's also because we don't have the time/resources to supervise a secondary license market. I'll give an example below of the complications of this. It's not just a greed move.

@jh Exactly! If it's someone trustworthy then you should be fine. If it's a stranger demanding bitcoin, then be suspicious :neutral:

One example is from around the time of the cPanel fiasco: Someone sold a bunch of their $299 lifetimes and we pushed them to the accounts of all the new buyers. No fee or anything, just to be nice to an old customer.

A month later this old customer contacts us and asks why all his licenses have vanished. After spending hours investigating logs and confirming his identity, we concluded the account was compromised and a hacker resold the licenses. Being nice guys again, we gave the customer his licenses back and also let the scam victims keep their licenses (they paid with bitcoin of course, and could not charge back the scammer).

We made no money, lost hours of time, and ended up giving away licenses. I think that was the moment we decided to lock down license portability. Being nice can be dangerous, because we sent the message:

• Don't worry about scamming people. DA will compensate the victim.
    • Don't worry about buying from a shady seller. DA will compensate me if I get scammed.

Of course, not everything is a scam.. But @andrewn let's say you were the seller (as you say, why shouldn't a lifetime license be able to be transferred?). But a month later, you are hit with a PayPal chargeback. What's the first thing you would do? Contact us and try to get your stolen license back. And then we are back to fact-checking, log-examining, etc. and losing this time to more productive things like development or support. :|

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

When you see it like this, you understand the headache... it’s a shame everyone isn’t genuine.....

• jhjh Member

Still looking, if anyone has one

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • @DA_Mark enable the ability to buy 1 lifetime license per account and the problem will be solved. Instead, there will be people always trying to buy lifetime licenses (even years after removing it from shop - look at cpanel and people on wht), people will be scammed and they will cry on the internet how DA is bad.

Let's be honest, people who want to buy lifetime are a people who are allergic to a monthly payment for something that is just their hobby.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@DA_Mark said:
    @andrewn It's also because we don't have the time/resources to supervise a secondary license market. I'll give an example below of the complications of this. It's not just a greed move.

@jh Exactly! If it's someone trustworthy then you should be fine. If it's a stranger demanding bitcoin, then be suspicious :neutral:

One example is from around the time of the cPanel fiasco: Someone sold a bunch of their $299 lifetimes and we pushed them to the accounts of all the new buyers. No fee or anything, just to be nice to an old customer.

A month later this old customer contacts us and asks why all his licenses have vanished. After spending hours investigating logs and confirming his identity, we concluded the account was compromised and a hacker resold the licenses. Being nice guys again, we gave the customer his licenses back and also let the scam victims keep their licenses (they paid with bitcoin of course, and could not charge back the scammer).

We made no money, lost hours of time, and ended up giving away licenses. I think that was the moment we decided to lock down license portability. Being nice can be dangerous, because we sent the message:

• Don't worry about scamming people. DA will compensate the victim.
    • Don't worry about buying from a shady seller. DA will compensate me if I get scammed.

Of course, not everything is a scam.. But @andrewn let's say you were the seller (as you say, why shouldn't a lifetime license be able to be transferred?). But a month later, you are hit with a PayPal chargeback. What's the first thing you would do? Contact us and try to get your stolen license back. And then we are back to fact-checking, log-examining, etc. and losing this time to more productive things like development or support. :|

You might not realize it, but if there were more like you, this world would be no less than heaven !

Salute to you gesture my friend !

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@Ponury_Typ said:
    @DA_Mark enable the ability to buy 1 lifetime license per account and the problem will be solved. Instead, there will be people always trying to buy lifetime licenses (even years after removing it from shop - look at cpanel and people on wht), people will be scammed and they will cry on the internet how DA is bad.

Let's be honest, people who want to buy lifetime are a people who are allergic to a monthly payment for something that is just their hobby.

Then nothing stops them to create multiple accounts and get one license each.
    And honestly, After the cpanel fiasco, its quite obvious that current pricing is the way forward and even the new prices are actually very very decent.

You need to make sure that the company who needs to develop, fix bugs has enough money and resources to do so.

• tester4tester4 Member

I have a lifetime license but without the lifetime upgrades (missed it by a few days unfortunately). Would you be interested in this?

• jhjh Member

@tester4 said:
    I have a lifetime license but without the lifetime upgrades (missed it by a few days unfortunately). Would you be interested in this?

Maybe. Mine came with lifetime upgrades. Can you PM me a screenshot of what you have and what it costs to renew?

• I'm selling one full account having a lifetime license. I don't want to make a profit. I only want to recover the money, so I will sell it for the same price they charged me when I bought it: $299. I can attach the purchase invoice and give full access to the account at directadmin.com

Are you still interested?

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited December 2020

@mtglop I am sure he didnt find anything after 7 MONTHS and is dying to pay full price to someone who can report account stolen and retrieve the license from DA. It simply would be foolish for anyone to buy from you, given the transfer rules of DA and their account recovery process (read all the replies above very very slowly, sound out big words outloud if needed). Plus you just joined.

• jhjh Member

Not looking anymore

• Still looking, in case anyone has and comes across this (thought I had one, but guess I didn't reply in time)...

Thanks.

• @isaacl said:
    Still looking, in case anyone has and comes across this (thought I had one, but guess I didn't reply in time)...

Thanks.

whoosh

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint