Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What tools you use to manage multiple servers without being lost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What tools you use to manage multiple servers without being lost

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

Please share how you manage multiple servers you may have to access regularly over SSH. What tools you use and how you make it comfortable without getting lost. Is there something with some visual cues to manage servers, eg. servers with green bar belongs to particular datacenter, with Green+brown belongs to particular client but in that datacenter .

Do share both windows and linux tools.

Do your share views..

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Just set a proper hostname? Like prod.ny.us.aws.fat32.com, dev.sg.asia.ovh.fat32.com etc

Thanked by 3Frameworks o_be_one bdl
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Ya, that has been the strategy so far but may be some admin happen to be developer came up something nice and shiny for the purpose :wink:

• For my personal servers I use puppet in masterless mode, pulling manifests out of a git repository. At work I use mostly Ansible, the idea is to minimize the need to SSH in to a server and change settings by hand.

When I need to SSH in, I usually have a bright red console background or another visual indicator for production servers.

• For my Centmin Mod LEMP stack setups I have custom prompts and command alias to make it a bit easier for Centmin Mod users to visually see which server(s) you are working on B)

alias pwdh='echo -n "$HOSTNAME"; echo " $PWD"'

example of prompt and alias in action

[11:46][[email protected] home]# pwdh
    host.domain.com /home

That and my multi tab supported SecureCRT SSH client labels each server in the tabs clearly :)

• MalinMalin Member

I've got them all in RoyalTSX/TS and keep them organized there.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I have CentOS WLS on my Win 10 Laptop and just setup a conf file within the ssh folder. Then I just do ssh web001 and it automatically logs me in.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited April 2020

Having a server naming convention could help, and like Master Panda, I too configure my servers in .ssh/config and just connect to whichever servers when needed :D

On the other hand, you could also maintain your own CMDB for your servers if you think it's necessary.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@FAT32 said:
    Just set a proper hostname? Like fat32isevil,

Thanked by 1Saahib
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

+1 for proper hostnames and naming schema.

I am accessing my devices from MobaXterm (Screenshot) which has been the most comfortable solution for me in everyday life.

Session bookmarks with folders, icons and names make it easy to organize everything.
    Names and icons remian in the tab title. Tabs can be re-ordered and switched quickly with Ctrl-Alt-Left/Right and you have all the neat PuTTY features.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Neoon said:
    fat32isevil

Is that a coupon code?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2020

@FAT32 said:

@Neoon said:
    fat32isevil

Is that a coupon code?

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • I color code the Terminal Windows and use tabs within a window. I can name each window too, giving it the name of the server. Then I stack them. Then I save the Group with a name that includes the date. I open the whole Group even if I don't need to do anything on all of them just to keep the details fresh.

• Ainsible is quite easy. Love used SaltStack, Puppet and Chef in the past but didn’t liked them a lost (SaltStack was more interesting that the 2 others, for me).

I’ve also used a not known tool named Rudder for personal stuffs. Honestly it was nice and easy even if there was some customization limitations that was requiring more work.

At my job we use cloud providers (OpenStack and AWS) and we use pipelines from GitLab to manage all. The idea is that we don’t care much about host names, we use tags. We also just kill servers and create new one when we need to deploy or fix something (loadbalancing etc). I really like this way of work but with VPS oriented providers it’s not really possible to set.

• Excel spreadsheet for credentials
    Remote Desktop Manager for sessions, folders per purpose
    Dropbox to sync SSH keys
    Uptime Robot for monitoring
    Node Query for stats
    Dumeter.net for net stats