Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup announces Gen 9 VPS - normal pricing close to Easter Eggs!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup announces Gen 9 VPS - normal pricing close to Easter Eggs!

pbxpbx Member
edited April 2020 in General

Hey LET!

I noticed that Netcup just announced their Gen 9 VPS line (link in german). They say that the CPU is more powerfull, as it seems like on last deal some people did end up with AMD CPUs, maybe it's full AMD on this line?

Can be found at their VPS page: https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

What's interesting is that the "normal" pricing for these is quite cheap, and pretty close to last Easter Eggs offer, for example 6 euro gives you 2 vCores / 8 GB RAM / 160 GB SSD (RAID10): https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2554 which seems similar (albeit only 50 cents more) than the VPS Ostern S they had last week.

This make their regular pricing quite competitive for a VM with a lot of RAM and decent storage.

Your thoughts?

I hope everyone is able to stay safe in these times!

Cheers!

Thanked by 2angstrom Falzo

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2020

@pbx said:
    I noticed that Hetzner just announced their Gen 9 VPS line (link in german). They say that the CPU is more powerfull, as it seems like on last deal some people did end up with AMD CPUs, maybe it's full AMD on this line?

It's advertised as AMD or Intel, which means that you may still get Intel

It would be interesting to see two Geekbench benchmarks, one of this VPS product with AMD and one of this product with Intel

Can be found at their VPS page: https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

What's interesting is that the "normal" pricing for these is quite cheap, and pretty close to last Easter Eggs offer, for example 6 euro gives you 2 vCores / 8 GB RAM / 160 GB SSD (RAID10): https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2554 which seems similar (albeit only 50 cents more) than the VPS Ostern S they had last week.

This make their regular pricing quite competitive for a VM with a lot of RAM and decent storage.

Yeah, 6€ is still a great price for a VPS with these specs, and note that they've raised the bandwidth from 40 TB to 80 TB, but at the same time, for the great majority of customers, this bandwidth difference is more theoretical than practical

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @pbx said:
    I noticed that ~~Hetzner~~ Netcup just announced their Gen 9 VPS line (link in german). They say that the CPU is more powerfull, as it seems like on last deal some people did end up with AMD CPUs, maybe it's full AMD on this line?

Thanked by 1pbx
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2020

angstrom said: It's advertised as AMD or Intel, which means that you may still get Intel

Didn't notice that thanks! Too bad there seem to be no way to be sure to order an AMD one.

angstrom said: It would be interesting to see two Geekbench benchmarks, one of this VPS product with AMD and one of this product with Intel

Yes, but it would be important to check the steal time when comparing this as that can bring some serious changes to the result. Dunno how these Gen 9 VPS perform (and they aren't a special so maybe the nodes aren't loaded too much) but I get some steal time quite often on my VPS Karnaval 2020. As these aren't one of their "root servers", it might be the case as well.

sayem314 said: Hetzner Netcup

Damn! Fixed it, thanks! @Hetzner_OL congrats for taking over my mind when I try not to think about you :wink:!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@pbx said: angstrom said: It's advertised as AMD or Intel, which means that you may still get Intel

Didn't notice that thanks! Too bad there seem to be no way to be sure to order an AMD one.

My guess is that the G9 Root-Servers (still to appear) will be explicitly AMD

The G9 vServers will remain AMD or Intel simply because netcup already have a lot of Intel machines that they want to make good use of. In addition, since vServers don't pass through the identity of the CPU, whether the CPU is AMD or Intel isn't visible to ordinary customers

Thanked by 1pbx
  • The 6€ one everyone is talking about is only 6€ if paid annually with an annual contract (which means you need to give a month notice to cancel it), while the regular pricing with no contract is 10€ monthly. It's not bad, I wouldn't mind paying a year in advance, but would probably try to avoid the contract and the notice period.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 pbx
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2020

@luissousa You're right but it's the same (afaik) with their specials: you get to pay yearly if you want the deal.

I do see why some people would prefer hourly billing for some projects, but as they appear to be a quite serious and solid company (anexia ain't a 15 yo who bought whmcs + solusvm licences) it seems to me that we can trust them long term, and if you have a few production projects, you maybe don't want to change the VPS they are hosted on every couple of weeks or each time a good deal appears on LET. In that case Netcup appears good to me. I could be wrong, I'm not using them for a long time but as I've been reading LET for a while, it seems to me that many people are happy with the perf, that's what made me decide to pick them to host long term projects in EU (now trying to find a similar not-too-small-but-still-cheap provider in North America...).

The german bureaucracy thing isn't necessarily a problem: if you plan to stay with them for a long time it can even be seen as protecting the customer (you know that the pricing won't change suddenly).

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • why their root server is cheaper than VPS? root 2core/8G €8.99/m, VPS is €10/m?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@webdev said:
    why their root server is cheaper than VPS? root 2core/8G €8.99/m, VPS is €10/m?

because you are comparing a price that applies only on yearly contracts for the rootds with a monthly base price (charged hourly) for the vps?

• snzsnz Member

For those who want 12 month contracts just like the easter special:

2609nc15876420099
    2609nc15876420098
    2609nc15876420097
    2609nc15876420096
    2609nc15876420095
    2609nc15876420094
    2609nc15876420093
    2609nc15876420092
    2609nc15876420091
    2609nc15876420090

Vouchers (AFF) for 1 Month discount are here now! The ones above will give you an effective price of 5.5€ / month for one year ((12 x 6€ - 6€)/12)

So basically ppl. like me who were happy that they got the easter special but then in turn got intel CPUs have one more chance now :D

If somebody needs first-month-free vouchers for the bigger packages, just tell me.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2020

Pretty good aff codes spreading (hmm...) but keep in mind there is a big difference with the easter special: using an aff code the discount isn't recurring.

• snzsnz Member

@pbx said:
    Pretty good aff codes spreading (hmm...) but keep in mind there is a big difference with the easter special: using an aff code the discount isn't recurring.

True. But I expect easter to come back next year as well.

• @Falzo said:

@webdev said:

because you are comparing a price that applies only on yearly contracts for the rootds with a monthly base price (charged hourly) for the vps?

what do you men yearly? Their website shows minimum cotract is monthly.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@uzaysan said:

@Falzo said:

@webdev said:

what do you men yearly? Their website shows minimum cotract is monthly.

interesting. I only looked at the german page which shows 8.99 on 12 month term only and 10.99 for monthly. seems the english one is different, huh.

• SkyriderSkyrider Member
    edited May 2020

~Please delete my reply, as this thread is for VPS, rather than RS.

• ewrekewrek Member

@Skyrider said:
    ~Please delete, as this thread is fov VPS, rather than RS.

I see no reason to delete this, only to close this to prevent confusion.