Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do yo look for in a provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do yo look for in a provider?

DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

What do you look for in a provider rather they sell VPS, Dedicated, Colocation?

Provider type
  1. What do you use the most of?42 votes
    1. VPS
      50.00%
    2. Colocation
      16.67%
    3. Dedicated
      23.81%
    4. Other
        9.52%

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

What service you use use the most of?
    What do you look for in the company to make you choose them?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@AlienData_Josh I think you are off on the right foot! Your service has been stable and network performance has been great. Pricing is also just right also! So keep up the good work!

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
    edited April 2020

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    @AlienData_Josh I think you are off on the right foot! Your service has been stable and network performance has been great. Pricing is also just right also! So keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words.
    I was meaning for this thread to be about anyone. Not just my services.
    Like for instance Colocation. I look for location, does it flood?, Available ISPs.
    That's why I went with the DC I am at. It's close but a very nice facility. Great people always helps as well.

• TerenasTerenas Member
    edited April 2020

@AlienData_Josh said:
    What service you use use the most of?
    What do you look for in the company to make you choose them?

I just colo stuff.

In terms of what i look for, there are things that can be provided when starting and some that take more time.
    =>Can be done right from the start:

• Reliable Service (Stable, ...)
    • Price:Performance Ratio is good
    • Looks like they know what they are doing. (Including a simple/clear website,..)

=> Takes more Time:

• Proven Track Record (especially for colo, as sometimes i have to fetch that for customers of mine, and the equipment does have a bit of value)

=> Things that i find genuinely nice: (but not everyone can do it, aka the value added)

• Startup Help: A place a friend colos with, offers free kvm(lantronix) for 12h when used server equipment is shipped from a known distributor (like bargainhardware in .eu)
    • On established Providers: Hardware acquisition service. Maybe offer to help someone fetch a good hardware deal with your distributors if you get a good discount on stuff?
    • On established Providers: Server Financing Services for colo. (Take a look at serverius for example for new hardware. Dacentec has some old/refurb stuff). But this can be legally tricky.
    • A German Provider once sent me a small pack of cookies for Christmas. (i only had one box on a cheap colo contract with them - but even years afterwards that memory gives me a smile).

just the first few that come to mind.

Now i think you are really asking because you want to understand how to provide more/better services to a growing number of customers....

I will start by saying: i think you are generally going into the right direction.

But, i would like to provide you some feedback from an outsiders perspective:
    1) Your presence/Image: This is way too complicated in my eyes. You have too many brands and it makes stuff more confusing than it needs to be. Go the minimalist route and merge stuff together. Let me give you an example:
    Make either Alien Data or dataideas your main brand. Regardless of wich one you choose, bring all the products to just that one. Set the rest up as sub-products. Like Aliendata as main brand for example. Just have one shop/order process without switching brands. Set the sub-projects to link to specific sites of the main brand. ie. raspberry servers => aliendata/pie-servers. Maybe brand your colo as: aliendata/dataideas-colo ... and so on

2) Think about the stuff your products communicate. Getting into a niece market => good for the most part. (altho i think the 256gb store pies are under-priced and might loose you money in the long run => might add a bit of doesn't quite know what they are doing perception).
    A think i observed in the other thread, but i cant fully put my finger on - is why i perceived the "cold storage with temper proof bags" idea as a desperate way to add more business in an area that doesn't make a whole lot of sense for your brand.

=> some mad ideas that i haven't fully thought thru yet, but probably someone more smart than me has done that and figured its not worth doing:

• Maybe an option to have a server backup shipped out on a disk? (Disk Price+Service Fee (20?30?) + shipping)?

• Option to buy hard disks after the end of the rental period for a fixed amount of money. (ie: for 2tb hard disks => x after the first year, y after the second year, z after x number of years).

• On Dedicated: Ability to send in your own disks

Final Note:
    What works really well for me in real life, is asking myself the question:
    "How can i help my customers make more money, or have more fun/joy, or better quality of service"?

• TerenasTerenas Member
    edited April 2020

As for colo, most smaller customers probably will just ship you one box, want a few of your addresses and not worry about the rest. the larger they get, the more they want to do themselves.

does it flood?

i lol'd

edit: i also dont get why you still don't have a note about how the billing works on the pi and aliendata site directly, so customers are not surprised at the checkout.

edited April 2020

@Terenas said:
    As for colo, most smaller customers probably will just ship you one box, want a few of your addresses and not worry about the rest. the larger they get, the more they want to do themselves.

does it flood?

i lol'd
    edit: i also dont get why you still don't have a note about how the billing works on the pi and aliendata site directly, so customers are not surprised at the checkout.

So the Company is Data Ideas LLC. as the main company. Alien Data Is a brand of that.
    RPIServers is also a brand.
    The ColdStorage is also a brand.
    I have multiple brands. But at the end of the day all money will go to Data Ideas.
    As far as your concern on the Cold Storage. I have a decent clientele that is into prepping.
    I had 2 threads for the colo/vps and then one for rpiservers. The mods had combined them together.
    I have multiple options for things. If you want something special that is not shown. Just send me a pm/email and we'll work something out that will fit your needs.

Thank you for the write up though. It will help those starting out or give others ideas!

As far as this thread. I am just looking at works for others. But at the same time it also will help other people that is trying to start up to see what works as well. This isn't just about me.

• Colocation and stuff like that is good, but it isn't the biggest product anymore, in my personal opinion. Dedicated servers with decent price to performance ratios and VPS with good add-ons like additional space, bandwidth, hourly billing are going to be much more popular. If you are in a exotic location, you don't even need to be value for money, plenty of people will pay more for the location (like the three midrange clouds, they offer 1GB RAM per 5 dollars and it's still a very good price for uncommon locations).

• The thread title question and the poll are two different questions.

• So the Company is Data Ideas LLC. as the main company. Alien Data Is a brand of that.

Just saying it could feel more solid

As far as your concern on the Cold Storage. I have a decent clientele that is into prepping.

i am happy for you :)

@TimboJones said:
    The thread title question and the poll are two different questions.

Yes, its multiple questions. As the title can suggest that you might look for multiple things. Things that are not in the poll. :)

@Terenas said:

So the Company is Data Ideas LLC. as the main company. Alien Data Is a brand of that.

Just saying it could feel more solid

I gotcha. Once I finish the website. Things should flow better.

In this case think of the company Alphabet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_Inc.
    They own multiple brands.