Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What software do I need to run my own DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rchurchrchurch Member

By that I mean using servers I control as my DNS provider. Some shared hosting providers allow you to put your domains on their DNS servers but this is not what I am looking for.

In my case I want the name servers of the domains to point to servers under my direct control. In effect if someone registers a domain with Dreamhost or GoDaddy for instance, they should be able to their DNS server for those domains to my server.

Comments

• Are you using any type of control panels? If not powerDNS cluster is pretty neat.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @seriesn said:
    Are you using any type of control panels? If not powerDNS cluster is pretty neat.

If I'm using a control panel then what type would be better?

Are there control panels dedicated solely to DNS hosting

• @rchurch said:

@seriesn said:
    Are you using any type of control panels? If not powerDNS cluster is pretty neat.

If I'm using a control panel then what type would be better?

Are there control panels dedicated solely to DNS hosting

Good question. Nothing I have looked into to be honest.

Otherwise, directadmin is a pretty good option. You can create multiserver cluster using the personal licnese :)

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@rchurch said:

A ... DNS Server Software?

It may sound harsher than it is meant, but if you intend to maintain a dns server on the public internet (that evil thing with ddos, amplification attacks etc.), you should research and learn on that topic so you can answer (not only) this question yourself.

• duc5educ5e Member

Bind dns, powerdns for linux. Simple dns plus for windows

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • cpanel has a DNSOnly panel. Been using it for a while. It's not the best solution out there but it gets the job done.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • If you are using DirectAdmin, then this one is a good option: https://directslave.com/

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • ApisCP has DNS only licenses now, so that may be a good option.

Thanked by 1rchurch