Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for cheap file hosting (with regards to cheap traffic)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for cheap file hosting (with regards to cheap traffic)

auxillaryauxillary Member
edited April 2020 in General

Let's say I want to distribute updates for my game and I don't want to use P2P

What is the cheapes (price per Terabyte served) I can currently host? What are good providers with regards to traffic, bang per buck?

I don't care about location, latency etc.

kind regards

Comments

• Scaleway (their AMS network is halfway decent) and Hetzner. Strongly suggest Hetzner (overall the best), then Scaleway a distant second (a bit unreliable).

• Okay thanks. What do you think about Kimsufi? They have unlimited 100mit/s which would give me about 30TB a month for 4 bucks or so

• @auxillary said:
    Okay thanks. What do you think about Kimsufi? They have unlimited 100mit/s which would give me about 30TB a month for 4 bucks or so

It's 100mbit max, which, assuming a typical peak to average ratio of 3:1, is roughly 10TB. Hetzner is 20TB on a 10Gbit port, while Scaleway is 200mbit on 1Gbit (?) port.

• Oh, so scaleway just caps me at 200mbit/s? That's pretty good.

Hetzner serverbörse also has 100mbit/s unmetered, which again is about 10tb with overhead.

What about spinning up Hetzner cloud instances and just deleting them once 20TB were sent?

• @auxillary said:
    Oh, so scaleway just caps me at 200mbit/s? That's pretty good.

Hetzner serverbörse also has 100mbit/s unmetered, which again is about 10tb with overhead.

What about spinning up Hetzner cloud instances and just deleting them once 20TB were sent?

Most cloud providers calculate an hourly bandwidth allowance too, so you would have to have the server up for the full month to benefit from 20TB, if you used 20TB in an hour then deleted it usually ends up being overage charges. Don't know if Hetzner cloud is the same however but I would assume its likely.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • auxillaryauxillary Member
    edited April 2020

Oh yeah, that seems likeky. However they only charge 1€ per TB beyond that. I think for their real servers they charge you 1,79€

• Most likely but considering you can just pay €2.99 a month on the minimum package for 20TB, you might as well keep it up for a month rather than pay overage charges

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @auxillary said:
    Oh, so scaleway just caps me at 200mbit/s? That's pretty good.

Hetzner auction servers are almost all 1Gbit now, except for some very old servers. If you just want some trash bandwidth for a short period of time, Scaleway works best. Hetzner will charge overage fees if you use more than the hourly allowance.

• 20tb for 20 bucks is pretty good. I can have a second instance up during peak hours

• Is the hourly allowance = 20TB / 30*24?

• Which instances on scaleway do you mean? I'm confused by their product lineup

• @auxillary said:
    20tb for 20 bucks is pretty good. I can have a second instance up during peak hours

Are you using the overage fees as your basis? It's much cheaper to just get a second instance.

@auxillary said:
    Is the hourly allowance = 20TB / 30*24?

Basically, yes, I think so.

@auxillary said:
    Which instances on scaleway do you mean? I'm confused by their product lineup

The DEV line-up? The 3 euro starter VPS comes with 200mbit and should cover your needs.

• Can you distribute your updates via a CDN? https://bunnycdn.com/pricing is very affordable.

• Bunnycdn is extremely expensive. Serving 10TB would cost me 0.005*10000=50 usd in the best case

• Thank you corbpie. Most of them are out of stock however
    From their TOS i read stuff like:
    "Resource Abuse consists of any activity, intentional or otherwise, that consumes sufficient system resources to negatively affect other clients or equipment."

Sounds sketchy to me

• @auxillary said:
    Thank you corbpie. Most of them are out of stock however
    From their TOS i read stuff like:
    "Resource Abuse consists of any activity, intentional or otherwise, that consumes sufficient system resources to negatively affect other clients or equipment."

Sounds sketchy to me

Sounds sketchy to me that you take that as being sketchy

Aren't you just distributing updates to a game? That's just fup/tos to avoid future headaches with the select few trouble makers

Fran has always been very liberal with ban hammers and allowing assortment of activities

• auxillaryauxillary Member
    edited April 2020

Yes, I rather meant that sketchy vps providers often put 1 gbit connection in their product link when in reality they cap you when you exceed like 60 mbit/s for longer than 22 nanoseconds in succession.

I just didn't know about them and felt like it was just shilling for another reseller

• 1nf1nf Member

@auxillary said:
    Yes, I rather meant that sketchy vps providers often put 1 gbit connection in their product link when in reality they cap you when you exceed like 60 mbit/s for longer than 22 nanoseconds in succession.

I just didn't know about them and felt like it was just shilling for another reseller

@Francisco is super prem and trusted here