Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CPU to Choose ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which CPU to Choose ?

MridulMridul Member
edited April 2020 in Help

Hello,

Im looking forward to get a new dedicated for my cpanel hosting users.
I am getting Xeon 2146G ( with 32 GB RAM ) and i7 9700 ( with 64 GB RAM ) for roughly the same price ( $100 )

i7 6700 ( with 32 GB RAM ) is cheaper ( $70 )

Currently I am hosting some 300 users on a dual L5420 machine and the loads are still under 2. I am paying $60 for this.

What would you recommend ?

I plan to use the new server with 2 x 2 TB SSD for upto 1000 cpanel users.

Thank you.

Which CPU will be better for 1000 cPanel users.
  1. Which CPU will be better for 1000 cPanel users ?30 votes
    1. Intel Core i7 9700 + 64 GB RAM
      33.33%
    2. Intel Core i7 6700 + 32 GB RAM
        3.33%
    3. Xeon 2146G + 32 GB RAM
      63.33%

Comments

• Xeon E is designed for server use so that would be my main reason for choice over the i7, plus HT is available so 6 cores 12 threads whereas i7 is 8cores 8 threads. Web hosting will benefit more from the additional cores in the future.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

I would recommend Xeon instead of desktop grade core I7

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • @Mridul said:
    Currently I am hosting some 300 users on a dual L5420 machine and the loads are still under 2. I am paying $60 for this.

Why do you have to spend more money when your existing server is still underutilization?

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • @laoban said:

@Mridul said:

Why do you have to spend more money when your existing server is still underutilization?

Well, they don't accept BTC. And my new provider has better cpanel price.

@WSCallum said:
    Xeon E is designed for server use so that would be my main reason for choice over the i7, plus HT is available so 6 cores 12 threads whereas i7 is 8cores 8 threads. Web hosting will benefit more from the additional cores in the future.

I myself would have preferred it. But with this server they dont have the option of a larger SSD unfortunately.

Im thus, more inclined towards 9700 as it gives me larger drives and much better performance than the dual L5420s. Please convince me other wise. The usage, is to provide cpanel hosting only to mid-low traffic sites.

• For a webserver you should always pick a cpu that's made for this type of usage. That'd be a Xeon in this case. Especially for production.

Mridul said: I myself would have preferred it. But with this server they dont have the option of a larger SSD unfortunately.

You probably should choose another provider then.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • Xeon always for servers! i3, i5 and i7 are desktop designed CPUs.
    Cheers!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@croweb_host said:
    Xeon always for servers! i3, i5 and i7 are desktop designed CPUs.
    Cheers!

I guess I have to throw away all my Ryzens.

• MikeA said: I guess I have to throw away all my Ryzens.

Definitely not! Ryzen is also great piece of CPU HW.
    thumbs up!

• croweb_host said: Definitely not! Ryzen is also great piece of CPU HW.

Allow me to correct you: Ryzen is*. Intel is outdated, get used to it.

• Hetzner AX41-NVMe with ECC and additional SSDs addon.

• I would recommend if you get same price Intel Core i7 9700 + 64 GB RAM + SSD disk space then go for Intel Core i7 9700

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@croweb_host said:
    Xeon always for servers! i3, i5 and i7 are desktop designed CPUs.
    Cheers!

lmao

• @dream_webhosts said:
    I would recommend if you get same price Intel Core i7 9700 + 64 GB RAM + SSD disk space then go for Intel Core i7 9700

Well, Thank you for your opinion. can some one elaborate that talking specifically about "cpanel hosting" and that too for abt 1000 accounts; how can the performance get affected if i choose i7 over Xeon ?

I can see that many hosts are opting Ryzens fr VPS Nodes, does the logic still hold, in 2020 that Ryzen ( of say i7 9700 ), being a desktop processor has some short comings when used for servers ?

@FAT32 @seriesn @Francisco

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep