Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ramhost isn't the same as it was
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ramhost isn't the same as it was

SpiritSpirit Member
edited September 2011 in Providers

Is it only my impression or our beloved RAM Host isn't the same as it was? Slow ticket response, plenty issues with their KC location (they even disabled stats here), non-announced KC IPv6 removal, lack of communication and unhappy people even on their own board https://forum.ramhost.us/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=571&p=3

Comments

• Growing pain?

• There was a major upgrade to all their KC gear. Hiccups happen. Mostly sorted now I think. My VPS in KC is running perfectly.

And their Atlanta location is rock-solid (I have one there also).

• bubbabubba Member
    edited August 2011

I agree, hiccups happen, but they are still happening. And the least they can do is answer their supprot calls. They moved me to vz3 during their upgrade and my VPS goes down daily (yes, daily, still pingable, but services stop). Web console is unresponsive and will not let me stop or start my VPS. Opened tickets are not answered and simply closed. About 30 mins or so after I submit a ticket the web console starts working and I can start my VPS. Others on vz3 are having the same issue and they have not said what is going on: https://forum.ramhost.us/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=577.

Sad when my budget 15/yr VPS is more stable than my old tried and true Ramhost VPS :(

• ksx4systemksx4system Member
    edited August 2011

Two years of simply perfect service, worth even triple of its price. Their old nodes were... well, old but still rock stable. Now they didn't even checked out if my VPS started correctly (i had to reboot it and run few things from the console to make it up)... Yes, it's not the same as it was. I'm currently migrating to non-lowendbox provider in my country (half of Ramhost's price more but a bit more of ram and MUCH shorter ping value).

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

Hello,

The old Kansas City setup was truely in much worse shape than we had expected.

Being our oldest location and launched on desktop hardware with no raid no reduncency and every server configured slightly different, our old Kansas City setup was not efficient or very reliable (regular packet loss and 10mbps (yes, 10mbps) to many servers due to outdated network design)

We realize the upgrades there have been painful (and issues with people not getting our maintenance emails and having a dozen rooted kloxo vm's join a botnet and start attacking other hosts when they got rebooted and moved didn't help things at all), however it was a necessary action. Half of those old servers were in the process of failing and had they done so it would have resulted in permanent dataloss for everyone on them, which I'm sure nobody would want.

Fact of the matter is, our old Kansas City setup was such a pain to manage and the hardware so low quality that we had several times considered outright shutting down our Kansas City operations altogether as it didn't even remotely come close to the same level of quality our other locations enjoy.

Instead, we chose to bring the standards in Kansas City up to the same high standards we operate in Atlanta, Germany, London, and soon Los Angeles. Everything in Kansas City has gone from no raid to raid 10, from 10mbps and 100mbps networking to gigabit networking, from single homed HE to a proper multihomed redundant network, from desktop hardware to rackmount server grade hardware. This obviously has been a painful process, but in the longer term it was a necessary action that had to happen.

Regarding the status pages, we haven't removed them, they just haven't been updated for the new hardware yet. That will be done later this week.

And regarding IPv6, the vast majority of the servers in Kansas City didn't have IPv6 deployed at all, and the handful of servers that did have IPv6 it was offered purely as an experimental service. These upgrades also allow us to support proper native IPv6 on everything in Kansas City without having to tunnel it across our old outdated switching equipment.

We are still the same high quality we have always been, and a once in a lifetime maintenance event to get rid of an enormous amount of garbage hardware that can't be upgraded that is not redundant that is showing signs of impending failure and that is running an old unworkable software configuration doesn't change that.

• At least respond to users' tickets, even "f%&# you, we don't care" will be ok. Like they say in my country "better to know which kind of ground you've got under your feet" ;-) I really need last backup. After you've killed backup feature in client panel it has been really problematic but now it's even worse...

edited September 2011

We've responded to all tickets that were sent in, even your backup request for September 15th you stuck in the outages section (a backup request for 2 weeks in the future isn't an outage or a high priority request of any kind for that matter, however since you have been on irc and bumped your ticket with all caps it has been dealt with earlier than you originally requested).

I wish you the best of luck with your new host and find it most unfortunate that you choose to discount 2 years of excellent service because of a migration event that lasted a couple of days last week that more than tripled the performance of your service, and then subsequently choose to abuse the support system in the manner that you have.

• @ramnet:

1) 15/09 was the last possible day to create this backup and I needed it just at the moment of writing a support ticket. Maybe I didn't write it crear enough, my fault.

2) Thanks, however I'm probably not going to leave RAM Host permanently. I just moved my most important services somewhere else. Please try to understand me, I'm a bit paranoid about uptime ;-)

P.S. It wasn't all caps. There was exactly 15 letters capitalised, smaller half of second sentence.

I think you will find that our uptime, network reliability, and server performance will greatly improve for Kansas City going forward.

This investment in infrastructure upgrades across the board has essentially taken our Kansas City location from a budget location to a premium location (and our advertising will reflect that when we launch KVM services and re-open the location to signups in ~2-3 weeks).

• Ramnet-Kansas has been performing superbly for me since the upgrade and the dust settled :)